AFL at Adelaide Oval - it will never happen (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only half heard something on the radio this morning, but are gold members losing their right to a guaranteed grand final ticket ??

I heard something on the radio this morning along the lines of Port, Adelaide and SANFL members would go into a ballot system for the codes for grand final tickets :confused: My fiance was talking when it was on the radio (what a surprise) and I only half heard it.

Hopefully this wont be the case :mad:

I only half heard something on the radio this morning, but are gold members losing their right to a guaranteed grand final ticket ??

I heard something on the radio this morning along the lines of Port, Adelaide and SANFL members would go into a ballot system for the codes for grand final tickets :confused: My fiance was talking when it was on the radio (what a surprise) and I only half heard it.

From memory all the proposed membership packages included greatly diminished extra rights such as finals tickets, reciprocity etc.

I would imagine that each club will do what they current do, whether that be gold memberships or seat anchoring - I can't see the AO move impacting on finals ticketing because both clubs would continue to honour length of membership time - they would be crazy to do otherwise.

I gotta say, I find the attitude of don't worry, Foley, Conlon, Whicker and Deare will look after your interests both amusing and worrying.

These are 4 blokes who are clearly looking after the seat of their own pants.

I was under the impression last night that the finals ticketing system would not change. And why would it? We're only moving our seats from West Lakes to the CBD. Surely the Club's ticketing arrangements would basically be the same besides a slight shift in price.

If the AFL compensated the SANFL for all the money they spent in recent times upgrading AMMI Stadium (while the AFL and poot Adelaide were going behind their backs to relocate matches to Adelaide Oval) it wouldn't be so bad. The AFL also should compensate us for allowing us to upgrade our facilities without informing us about the possibility of playing AFL matches at the Adelaide Oval.
How much money are the SANFL going to lose in naming rights sponsorship?

If the AFL compensated the SANFL for all the money they spent in recent times upgrading AMMI Stadium (while the AFL and poot Adelaide were going behind their backs to relocate matches to Adelaide Oval) it wouldn't be so bad. The AFL also should compensate us for allowing us to upgrade our facilities without informing us about the possibility of playing AFL matches at the Adelaide Oval.
How much money are the SANFL going to lose in naming rights sponsorship?

Rubbish. The contract that gave AFL matches exclusively to Footy park is due to end anyway so presuming anything after that was getting ahead of themselves.

Rubbish. The contract that gave AFL matches exclusively to Footy park is due to end anyway so presuming anything after that was getting ahead of themselves.
Well Farlton are the experts on rubbish aren't they?:p:D
Show me a link stating when that contract expires and I will believe you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Farlton are the experts on rubbish aren't they?:p:D
Show me a link stating when that contract expires and I will believe you.

ref:

ref: http://www.afana.com/afl/johnson/afl_jl_000806.html
Forget about AFL games at Adelaide Oval, SACA told
The AFL yesterday called on the South Australian Cricket Association, to give up its chase for AFL matches at Adelaide Oval - or risk losing other events from the cricket ground. The league also predicted its 15-year agreement with the SANFL to play exclusively at Football Park would stand up to any legal challenge from the SACA. A legal challenge, arguing the AFL’s 15-year pact with the SANFL is a restraint of trade, could be met with the AFL league challenging SACA’s monopoly hold on cricket at Adelaide Oval. AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson did not rule out the AFL applying to the Australian Cricket Board to host a one-day cricket international under lights at Football Park.

However, the SACA has vowed to continue negotiating with Victorian-based AFL clubs to have them play as many as four games at Adelaide Oval, despite the AFL ruling it would not sanction any matches at the city ground for at least 15 years. This could see the AFL respond by matching any proposal the SACA offers to Victorian clubs and transferring these matches to Football Park or venues in Queensland and NSW.

The SACA also is at risk of the SANFL taking local league football away from Adelaide Oval. The three-year SANFL-SACA agreement to play SANFL football at Adelaide Oval expires next month. SACA chief executive Michael Deare said it would be “very petty” if the SANFL took domestic league football from Adelaide Oval. Jackson said in Adelaide the issue of AFL matches at Adelaide Oval should be considered closed, at least for the next 15 years. “It is the AFL that ultimately decides where matches are played,” Jackson said. “We do not believe Adelaide needs any more AFL football (other than 22 games at Football Park). Rather, it is more important for the development of Australian football for matches to be played in Brisbane and Sydney. The SACA knows our position, very clearly.”

SANFL chief executive Leigh Whicker said his league did not want to damage sound relations with the SACA over a futile issue such as AFL games at Adelaide Oval. He said the SANFL would stick to the current position of top-line football at the headquarters of SA football at Football Park and top-line cricket at its traditional home at Adelaide Oval. Deare reaffirmed the cricket association had legal advice that the AFL-SANFL pact at Football Park may contravene the Trade Practices Act. The SACA would continue to talk with Victorian-based AFL clubs and, if it struck an agreement, would approach the AFL Commission. The SACA would not confirm nor deny the AFL and SANFL’s understanding that the cricket association had offered a Victorian club a deal of A$500,000 up front and A$2 million in total to play one match a season for five seasons at Adelaide Oval.

still trying to find the original article, but IIRC this was in the advertiser.

ref:

ref: http://www.afana.com/afl/johnson/afl_jl_000806.html

still trying to find the original article, but IIRC this was in the advertiser.
Doesn't actually say when the contract expires. Even though the contract is due to expire the AFL still should have informed the SANFL and the Crows about their discussions with the SACA involving Crows and Port Matches be moved to the SANFL. If both the SANFL and Adelaide had of been informed they probably wouldn't have spent so much money on upgrading things at AMMI Stadium.

An interesting stat I read in the Messenger was that for the 2 double headers in the first 2 weeks of the SANFL finals in 2009 and 2010, the combined crowds were just over 24,000 for both years. In 2008 when the games were played at Adelaide Oval, they got just under 39,000 over the 2 weeks. The Slowdown is back at Adelaide Oval this year too. Just interesting.

An interesting stat I read in the Messenger was that for the 2 double headers in the first 2 weeks of the SANFL finals in 2009 and 2010, the combined crowds were just over 24,000 for both years. In 2008 when the games were played at Adelaide Oval, they got just under 39,000 over the 2 weeks. The Slowdown is back at Adelaide Oval this year too. Just interesting.

For SANFL finals/Slowdown getting to FP can be a hassle. Remember there is no free bus service for these events.

Doesn't actually say when the contract expires. Even though the contract is due to expire the AFL still should have informed the SANFL and the Crows about their discussions with the SACA involving Crows and Port Matches be moved to the SANFL. If both the SANFL and Adelaide had of been informed they probably wouldn't have spent so much money on upgrading things at AMMI Stadium.

. All parties are aware of it, it doesnt stop them trying to get more for themselves.

Mmmmm, interesting take.

It is the reason I am not going to the SANFL GF this weekend. No one to drive me, and too hard to catch the buses to get there, as I like to enjoy a few beers at the footy. I have a direct bus for Crows/Port games. As I will to Adelaide Oval.

And this is a problem because...? The state of cricket in SA?
It's a problem because this apparently world-renowned asset we have sits vacant and unused for half a year every year.

What a waste!

It is the reason I am not going to the SANFL GF this weekend. No one to drive me, and too hard to catch the buses to get there, as I like to enjoy a few beers at the footy. I have a direct bus for Crows/Port games. As I will to Adelaide Oval.

$8 from Norwood oval from 12 to 2 (so three buses every hour) you just need to pay on the bus

get down there big fella!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back