AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe try Ainslie, they are probably the most liked team in Canberra. You will also get to play 1st grade and 4th grade all in the same year.

Hahaha you could do the same at Belco, but Ainslie is definitely the only club now where you could play all 4 grades in a season as we're the only ones that field teams in all of them. Definitely no money in our 3s and 4s and i doubt much in our 2s.

The only 1st grader that played 4s was Armstrong in the mid-week rescheduled game against ADFA after they bailed late for the original game because they forgot to tell their 1st years not to take leave til after the match lol

Wasn't exactly an organised crime though, none of us would have even thought to ask about him. He'd been suspended for 3 games and hadnt played for 6, so the 1st grade coach told us to play him for 3/4 to get him game time if he wanted to get back into seniors. Was cleared with the league i believe, but 4s weren't complaining.

Couple of fringe first graders coming back from injury played the rescheduled 3s ADFA game the next Wednesday. Otherwise it's been blokes who get dropped from 2s playing 3s or blokes dropped from 3s/unavailable for the later game playing 4s. Same thing that happens at most clubs when numbers are strong.

Hahaha you could do the same at Belco, but Ainslie is definitely the only club now where you could play all 4 grades in a season as we're the only ones that field teams in all of them. Definitely no money in our 3s and 4s and i doubt much in our 2s.

The only 1st grader that played 4s was Armstrong in the mid-week rescheduled game against ADFA after they bailed late for the original game because they forgot to tell their 1st years not to take leave til after the match lol

Wasn't exactly an organised crime though, none of us would have even thought to ask about him. He'd been suspended for 3 games and hadnt played for 6, so the 1st grade coach told us to play him for 3/4 to get him game time if he wanted to get back into seniors. Was cleared with the league i believe, but 4s weren't complaining.

Couple of fringe first graders coming back from injury played the rescheduled 3s ADFA game the next Wednesday. Otherwise it's been blokes who get dropped from 2s playing 3s or blokes dropped from 3s/unavailable for the later game playing 4s. Same thing that happens at most clubs when numbers are strong.
Did Armstrong go straight back to first grade after that. How many fours have managed to make the grade with first's ?

One cast and two nibbles.. Beauty.

Catch & release? Or planning to digest what you caught?

Vintage: looks like he went straight into 1s on the Saturday against Gungahlin, 3 days after that ADFA game. As far as 4s making the grade in the 1st grade, it doesn't happen too often. Only one i can really think of is Vandenberg a while back, when he first came to Ainslie and was unfit as anything so got dropped down, possibly to 4s. Came back after a season away, got really fit and won a NEAFL bnf and now plays for Melbourne.

Not many rise from such a low starting point, usually the other way around, where blokes drop down the grades as commitments/age/injuries restrict them. 3s sometimes get lucky and have some new blokes off the street show up and quickly rise through the ranks, but even that is uncommon

Have you thought of trying a club with higher grades also ?
Yeah for sure. Was just gauging the level of the lower grades. I've seen games in Div 1 so i have an idea of the level.
Currenty play with a bunch of lads that have played Neafl in berra.

Brent! Can you advise what is the go with Ainslie Div 4s round 10 results? Seems Ainslie are credited with a win and a bye in the same round which gives them an extra bye / win than all the other teams in the grade?

Is this something the league is aware of? Given how tight things are at the top of the table it could certainly make a difference to finishing positions??

Brent! Can you advise what is the go with Ainslie Div 4s round 10 results? Seems Ainslie are credited with a win and a bye in the same round which gives them an extra bye / win than all the other teams in the grade?

Is this something the league is aware of? Given how tight things are at the top of the table it could certainly make a difference to finishing positions??
Do byes count as wins?

Hey Danky, we don't get points for byes so doesn't mean squat, was an error from sportingpulse.

From what I can gauge from the league there is no points per say but rather win % as not all teams are playing the same amount of games, we're looking to beat Yass and obviously Molonglo over the next two weeks. If we win one of those games it looks like a cracker week of finals

With ANU playing either Woden or Belco and ADFA and Cooma playing each other again.

Hey Danky, we don't get points for byes so doesn't mean squat, was an error from sportingpulse.

From what I can gauge from the league there is no points per say but rather win % as not all teams are playing the same amount of games, we're looking to beat Yass and obviously Molonglo over the next two weeks. If we win one of those games it looks like a cracker week of finals

With ANU playing either Woden or Belco and ADFA and Cooma playing each other again.

If you look in Round 11 it has two ANU's it was meant to go in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving reading all the Jibes at Ainslie good to see guys are still passionate for their respective clubs regardless of where they may be on the ladder. However a few things I've read on here are a touch lacking in observation or understanding. (I feel sorry for the Belco spat that they copped from both Ainslie and other clubs earlier this year having read this stuff about Ainslie this morning)

If you observe Ainslies fixture list for 4th grade. You will see we have played 14 games for 13 wins and 1 loss which is exactly what we are credited for on the table.

As for the pot shots from community grade clubs about player selection, you have all had the luxury of Ainslie having a Neafl side. The club was laid incredibly thin with players during these 5 years due to restrictions/player offerings we had to provide other clubs. So you all got used to destroying the Ainslie 4th grade side. Credit given where credit deserved you did all belt them at times/made sure Ainslie were non factors in those years. Its a period of time where a lot of our guys found it hard to play footy each week.
Unfortunately for you all though this is no longer the case and Ainslie has embraced Canberra footy again with its self exclusion from the Neafl. With this occurrence every grade at Ainslie is stronger and with depth. The best example of this is in the fact that Ainslie 4s have had weeks where we have had a full compliment with emergencies plus guys not selected on top at times. Will this guarantee flags? No it just means we are finally competitive again.

Ainslie has policy that you simply do not walk into any grade expected if you have not played for 4/6 weeks. You are informed that you will play a game at a low grade and work your way back in whether you are a 3rd 2nd or 4th grader. You are assessed off the ability to show you can play for 80-100 minutes of football to be considered for a higher grade (you can have talent but if you are not fit you are not playing up at Ainslie).The reasoning for this is because we have been able to add good players across all grades who don't deserve to lose their spot to an individual who has yet to earn it (Hayden Armstrong in this case). There are very few individuals highly regarded enough in the club to be given the right to snub working their way back in properly. That is our culture. We have had multiple guys fluctuate between 4th grade, 3rd grade and 2nd grade due to this. Hayden was an oddity no doubt but there have been many of these situations with other big Canberra clubs through the years. The insinuation we are cheats or are 13-1 only because we had 1 first grade quality player play his first game of the year for Ainslie with us in round 12 as is selection policy is a bit off in my books.

Last edited:
NEAFL must have been devastating for you blokes. But do you reckon you could give back those first graders who hung around when you turned turtle on the NEAFL? Simon CUrtis would be handy for belconnen about now I'm sure.

Last edited:
Well didn't Belconnen make a statement yesterday , after pushing Yass all the way last weekend they put paid to the Molonglo in fine style . Just on Molonglo there is a vast difference between there threes and there fours . The threes are in the penthouse while the fours are in that other house lol Guess that shows just how hard it is growing into two teams in Canberra .

NEAFL must have been devastating for you blokes. But do you reckon you could give back those first graders who hung around when you turned turtle on the NEAFL? Simon CUrtis would be handy for belconnen about now I'm sure.

I wouldn't be reading too much into it. Belco will struggle when they can't get the four players who played their first game yesterday on the park, also talking to a Yass official yesterday they played half their twos last week and lied about it on the team sheet.

Lachie O'Sullivan, Elliott Duncan, Vineel Dutt and Ben Sainsbury easy twos quality players.

We had a hard fought battle against Yass yesterday who were too good. Gave us a good chance to see what we need to improve over the next two weeks.

Congratulations to Yass on claiming the Minor Premiership in the process, threes had a spirit comeback victory over Coota, who have made a good fist of going up a grade and have been competitive since finding their feet.

Possibly money talks? I don't know the situation as to why him and Aaron Wiles stayed on at Ainslie. I know Ellis went back home to Tuggeranong and Ainslie wanted to keep him. Could be money, enjoyment or mates for those guys who stayed but who knows.

I think it's really up to Belconnen,Queanbeyan and others to chase Ainslie now in terms of talent rather than gripe about guys who moved on from the club because that happens in footy.

I wouldn't be reading too much into it. Belco will struggle when they can't get the four players who played their first game yesterday on the park, also talking to a Yass official yesterday they played half their twos last week and lied about it on the team sheet.

Lachie O'Sullivan, Elliott Duncan, Vineel Dutt and Ben Sainsbury easy twos quality players.

We had a hard fought battle against Yass yesterday who were too good. Gave us a good chance to see what we need to improve over the next two weeks.

Congratulations to Yass on claiming the Minor Premiership in the process, threes had a spirit comeback victory over Coota, who have made a good fist of going up a grade and have been competitive since finding their feet.
Wouldn't rely to much on info coming out of Yass Brentford , Looking at the draw it looks like Ainsle play one more game then any other team ? 1 is that rite and 2 if so can't you still be minor premiers ? Or does the ladder work on losses

Wouldn't rely to much on info coming out of Yass Brentford , Looking at the draw it looks like Ainsle play one more game then any other team ? 1 is that rite and 2 if so can't you still be minor premiers ? Or does the ladder work on losses
Sorry that should read some other teams not any other teams ( my bad )

Hard to respect you when you spread bullshit on this page. We had one regular 2's player play for us against Yass. Who did we lie about on the team sheet?

Luck of the draw I suppose, and as I have said before the extra game wouldn't have meant anything had we not beaten Yass and ANU one of the two times we played them. We can't catch Yass on win% as they have only lost one of 15 games.

Be interesting to see how they get on, have the bye over the next two weeks.

As

As far as i know it goes on win percentage of games played, so Ainslie are actually lucky this year having the extra game to win or they would be 3rd and Anu would be 2nd.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back