AFL Canberra Season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Its to follow 3s main game mate. Same thing happened last weekend with 2s following 1s in the top grades. And originally, ANU v Yass was actually going to be at Stirling aswell on Saturday morning before Coota v Cats to have both 4s games leading into the 3s main game. But now they have moved the Gungahlin womens v belco game from stirling that morning to gungahlin sunday night after 1s at 5pm. Idea of all of this is to have bigger days at the footy, having a full day at the footy brings more supporters to the venue to create the finals atmosphere. I think it definitely worked last week.

Totally agree with finals atmosphere mate. Just thought there are more grounds around than at anu.

Totally agree with finals atmosphere mate. Just thought there are more grounds around than at anu.

Don't worry i do see your point of view mate. I think AFL Canberra have escaped a few blow ups with both belconnen and queanbeyan reserves not playing the same day as they hosted finals last week. Imagine the blow ups if Belconnen finished second in the reserves and played Ainslie who finished 1st at home just because Belconnen 1s finished top. Same thing if Queanbeyan finished 4th in reserves but sill got to host a 3rd place Eastlake because of there 1s.

Don't worry i do see your point of view mate. I think AFL Canberra have escaped a few blow ups with both belconnen and queanbeyan reserves not playing the same day as they hosted finals last week. Imagine the blow ups if Belconnen finished second in the reserves and played Ainslie who finished 1st at home just because Belconnen 1s finished top. Same thing if Queanbeyan finished 4th in reserves but sill got to host a 3rd place Eastlake because of there 1s.

It's happened before(and happens often to be honest). Ainslie 3s played reserve grade minor semi out at Queanbeyan a few years back (2013 or 14?) when Ainslie still had a NEAFL team but Queanbeyan had just dropped out. Queanbeyan's 1s were better ranked(won the comp too) and rightfully hosted the minor semi out at Margaret Donohue Oval. Queanbeyan's 2s had been pretty average and just scraped into finals, but got home ground advantage because of the 1s season. Not exactly ideal, but that's just one of the prices you pay for being in a subordinate grade. Essentially scheduling gets based off the 2 primary grades, being Seniors for 1s, 2s & 18s and Third Grade for the 3s, 4s & Womens.

For what it's worth, it seemed like the one ground for the day set-up worked pretty well for crowd atmosphere as there were more people down at the games I went to than usually would rock up, and some supporters stayed to watch games they otherwise wouldn't have bothered to. Though that could simply have been because it was finals time. And it probably isn't quite as good for the regional teams whose crowds have to travel a long way and that might otherwise get a big local (and parochial) crowd at home.

It's happened before(and happens often to be honest). Ainslie 3s played reserve grade minor semi out at Queanbeyan a few years back (2013 or 14?) when Ainslie still had a NEAFL team but Queanbeyan had just dropped out. Queanbeyan's 1s were better ranked(won the comp too) and rightfully hosted the minor semi out at Margaret Donohue Oval. Queanbeyan's 2s had been pretty average and just scraped into finals, but got home ground advantage because of the 1s season. Not exactly ideal, but that's just one of the prices you pay for being in a subordinate grade. Essentially scheduling gets based off the 2 primary grades, being Seniors for 1s, 2s & 18s and Third Grade for the 3s, 4s & Womens.

For what it's worth, it seemed like the one ground for the day set-up worked pretty well for crowd atmosphere as there were more people down at the games I went to than usually would rock up, and some supporters stayed to watch games they otherwise wouldn't have bothered to. Though that could simply have been because it was finals time. And it probably isn't quite as good for the regional teams whose crowds have to travel a long way and that might otherwise get a big local (and parochial) crowd at home.

I understand the whole 'follow the top grade' thing in finals and yes it does create a great atmosphere. But Anu and Yass are playing a single game at ANU. There will be 2 games at stirling on Saturday. 4 games at gungahlin and 1 game at ANU on Sunday. Or am i misunderstanding all this?

I understand the whole 'follow the top grade' thing in finals and yes it does create a great atmosphere. But Anu and Yass are playing a single game at ANU. There will be 2 games at stirling on Saturday. 4 games at gungahlin and 1 game at ANU on Sunday. Or am i misunderstanding all this?

Think you've got it right, but that's an outcome of the different finals formats between 4's/Womens and everyone else I think?

Because they are bigger comps and had a final 5/6, rather than a final 4 like everyone else, there are 2 games in these grades to play, rather than the 1 for everyone else.

So you end up with 3 games at Stirling on Saturday as usual (Womens/4s/3s in order) and the usual 3 games at Gungahlin on Sunday (18s/2s/1s), plus the leftover womens prelim on Sunday & the leftover 4s prelim on Sunday as well. And the league has appeared to have allowed these leftover prelims be hosted at the home grounds of the top ranked teams, being the women at Gungahlin (after the men) and the 4's at ANU as a standalone.

I guess the other option would have been to have the leftover womens prelim precede the 4s game and have those 2 together

Think you've got it right, but that's an outcome of the different finals formats between 4's/Womens and everyone else I think?

Because they are bigger comps and had a final 5/6, rather than a final 4 like everyone else, there are 2 games in these grades to play, rather than the 1 for everyone else.

So you end up with 3 games at Stirling on Saturday as usual (Womens/4s/3s in order) and the usual 3 games at Gungahlin on Sunday (18s/2s/1s), plus the leftover womens prelim on Sunday & the leftover 4s prelim on Sunday as well. And the league has appeared to have allowed these leftover prelims be hosted at the home grounds of the top ranked teams, being the women at Gungahlin (after the men) and the 4's at ANU as a standalone.

I guess the other option would have been to have the leftover womens prelim precede the 4s game and have those 2 together

As I said in previous response. The Gungahlin women's side got a choice and made the decision to play rightly so at home after the 1s as a twilight fixture. However after doing this, the association were going to have the ANU v Yass game on Stirling on the Saturday however due to the late decision and not knowing who was playing finals with ground bookings it's already been locked in with uni that South was used for the Sunday.

I might have missed something in the end of season haze, but why are the Sunday games of 18s/2s/1s not at Ainslie?

I see the Griffins are in finals in both grades yet again, how many years in a row is that now?

Surely it's time they moved up to 2s and 3s?

I imagine if playing Div 2 and 3 were actually an option ANU would accept the challenge...So too would Woden and ADFA I'm sure...

Given AFL Canberra wont let you play 2nd grade if you don't have 1st grade it is a dead argument.

I imagine if playing Div 2 and 3 were actually an option ANU would accept the challenge...So too would Woden and ADFA I'm sure...

Given AFL Canberra wont let you play 2nd grade if you don't have 1st grade it is a dead argument.

Adfa and Anu have already beeb shipped up to div 2 without a div 1?

I've noticed the desire for Amateur clubs to move up to Div 2 doesn't come from within the clubs, but from outsiders.

ADFA have had a couple of goes, as the Defence Warriors 15/20 years or so ago, and again a couple of years back.

Without the juniors coming through, without the funding to match the big clubs and without the facilities that permanent senior clubs have built over the last 50 years, I see no reason to push clubs up to a level that would lead to their demise.

Gungahlin are destined to be perpetual strugglers, similar to Tuggeranong - they just can not compete with the established clubs. Why sacrifice ANU/ADFA/Woden/Molonglo to the same fate?

From the outside, the regional grade seemed to work well in the past, with two team clubs having double headers every week, and one team clubs playing their own comp. Perhaps this needs to be reinvestigated, as the split venues/days for 2 team clubs is almost impossible to provide adequate resources on game days - support staff, umpires etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best time of the year!

My tips,

1s - Ainslie
2s - Belconnen
Womens - Belconnen & Eastlake
3s - Woden
4s Yass & Cootamundra

Agree with your 1s/2s/womens picks...

Fair bit of intrigue in the lower divs this week. Woden 3s had a run of 2 or 3 months without a loss, then lost to us in the final round by a point. Thought they'd belt ADFA last week, loss was very surprising. Now a rematch of last year's GF against ANU, who they split points with this year. Have to say ANU looked very good last I saw them, and suspect they might win through to GF.

In the 4s I haven't seen that much of Cooma or Coota, but I'd think going on results that Coota would be just a bit too good.

The other game shapes up as a belter, we were in games against both sides until 3QT before they were each able to kick away in the final quarter. ANU have been very lucky to get the game at South which should favour them, but I think Yass might beat them in a very close one.

Best time of the year!

My tips,

1s - Ainslie
2s - Belconnen
Womens - Belconnen & Eastlake
3s - Woden
4s Yass & Cootamundra

I agree with yours mate. I'm the same.

1s - think it will be close then an Ainslie blow out towards the end.
2s - this will be game of the day at Gungahlin. Belconnen have momentum beating Qbyn last round and Eastlake in a ripper last week. This could seriously be either team by a kick in the dying stages again.
3s - Woden are my tip to win it so going to stick with them and to win this one by a couple.
4s - Coota will win and win well. They will be first through to the gf and rightly so.
ANU v Yass (the grand final rematch). Will be a cracker, who has the endurance to play 4 quarter length football. This will be decided by who controls the footy early and settles. Yass normally slow starters can't afford that but I still think they have the run in them to get over in a nail biter.

How good are finals!

3's - Woden seem to have the wood over ANU when it matters
4's - I'm going a massive upset. I reckon Cooma have been in great form and Coota might be underdone with about 1 game in a month.
ANU again seem to have the wood over Yass when it counts so I'll go ANU

3's - Woden seem to have the wood over ANU when it matters
4's - I'm going a massive upset. I reckon Cooma have been in great form and Coota might be underdone with about 1 game in a month.
ANU again seem to have the wood over Yass when it counts so I'll go ANU
Wouldn't mind seeing Cooma win. How long since they have played in a grand final ? Might be the year of the cats

Or it won't be mate. Coota over the Cats by 9 points.

Lol not quite the 40 plus you had us losing by hammo

Great game you be apart of, good luck to coota next week but just from a tipping point of view i think whoever wins the other prelim will be the eventual premier's

Woden through.

ANU came hard early in last, Woden steadied to win by a goal, 11.7 to 9.13. Good game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back