AFL.com.au is a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

I have had cause to vent about the AFL website a lot over the last 6-7 years. It really is that bad.

Hopefully one day they will offer well optimised video streams, use a webplayer that actually works, fix the formatting of the site, get rid of the OTT distracting banner/panel ads, develop a user friendly menu system, update info and post match day pressers in a timely fashion, provide a properly functioning live tracker and a website that doesn't crash under heavy traffic ... right?
Apart from all that.......otherwise happy?

Try watching replays on an iPad. Joke of a site. They should hang their heads in shame. More likely though they'll just continue to ignore end users and believe the garbage their provider dishes up.

Shame AFL Shame!!

We subscribe to the AFL live site being overseas, this year it changed from being run by someone else to run by the AFL and already the coverage is absolutely sh*te, always lagging, cutting out. Seems they are doing a good job of screwing everything up completely!

It went from ok, to bad, to worse, and now to unbelievably bad. Every time they upgrade, it gets more annoying.

The AFL would have about half a dozen guys who maintain the site but i would love to know who developed it

Radio streaming isnt working off that page either... pretty embarrasing for the A.F.L.

Really we should not be surprised at their ineptitude that commercial they made with the captains the other week showed their level of competence.

It's hilarious that they can't even get that right.

Here's a picture of the afl.com.au programmers
simpsonz.JPG

Do they double as Melbourne FC by any chance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have had cause to vent about the AFL website a lot over the last 6-7 years. It really is that bad.

Hopefully one day they will offer well optimised video streams, use a webplayer that actually works, fix the formatting of the site, get rid of the OTT distracting banner/panel ads, develop a user friendly menu system, update info and post match day pressers in a timely fashion, provide a properly functioning live tracker and a website that doesn't crash under heavy traffic ... right?
They update the site and change the development contractors each year. The worst change they did was phase out the HTML game day. That peeved me so much but I'm delighted to be able to use the 'Aussie Rules Live' app.

The AFL would have about half a dozen guys who maintain the site but i would love to know who developed it

They have an internal team that develop the site. I believe they went with an enterprise level content management system (thing you manage your website in) running on Java as that company told them they would provide support and help to build and manage the website. They chose this over a much more reliable and community driven enterprise system because the other company did not offer support in implementing the website.

The cms they chose ended up screwing them and now I think they're finding it very difficult to find good developers for the website.

Whole thing is a shambles.

The other thing is that I just paid $80 for a full season of live streaming of games on my mobile - the app is terrible. Have a Samsung Galaxy S III (one of the most popular smart phones in the world), the app constantly crashes, the commentary randomly doubles up so that everything is repeated 2 seconds later over the top of the live commentary, and the app regularly refuses to close meaning you have to force close it.

Surely there is enough room in their billion dollar TV deal to send a few dollars towards the website and app, surely.

This is the most accurate thread on the MB.

Absolute joke. They don't update subs/late outs from what I can see, they don't have any accessible results/stats for the NAB Cup, they can't get this weekends games results correct - but they can have a meaningless piece on "random footballers top 10 random footballers of all time in this particular category" every week.

s**t site.
All the old links don't work. For example, if you Google something and come up with an old AFL website article, now it cannot be reached.

They update the site and change the development contractors each year. The worst change they did was phase out the HTML game day. That peeved me so much but I'm delighted to be able to use the 'Aussie Rules Live' app.
I am all the amazements... why is it so consistently awful then?

I agree with the second point and assume the third is you being facetious.

The other thing is that I just paid $80 for a full season of live streaming of games on my mobile - the app is terrible. Have a Samsung Galaxy S III (one of the most popular smart phones in the world), the app constantly crashes, the commentary randomly doubles up so that everything is repeated 2 seconds later over the top of the live commentary, and the app regularly refuses to close meaning you have to force close it.

Surely there is enough room in their billion dollar TV deal to send a few dollars towards the website and app, surely.
Yeah, it was really bad on the weekend.

There were some bugs in the NAB and shocking problems on the launch of the regular season, but I thought it would be smooth sailing from there. I mean the streams were good in the NAB.

This weekend though and the Geelong game especially, it would drop out often. Would also go through bouts of terrible pixelated picture quality, or it would skip back or freeze and the commentary would play over an unrecognisable image. FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

The AFL should next time sell the rights to one of the many pron sites , they seem to load and stream well.

They have plenty in common with the AFL

There are plenty of goals and behinds scored , and sprayed shots at goal and many climactic moments. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back