Rumour AFL National Reserves Competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this topic deserves its own thread, rather than clogging the 2018 SANFL Reserves thread.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/de73728471b92f1ebb7fce49de8f3ca5

As I said in the reserves thread:

I love the idea of an national AFL reserves competition. I wonder if it would be played as a curtain raiser before the main fixture, or played on a separate oval? I think it would be fantastic to be able to get to the footy an hour or two early and watch the reserves. Makes the football into more of a "day" out. My only concern is would the grounds cope with the extra game? Imagine Etihad after 4 or 6 games had been played on it in one weekend.

I think this could have a great benefit to the competition standard though. Depth players will be playing against other full time professional footballers, instead of part-time state league players. They would get the AFL player treatment, by travelling, and playing on big grounds like the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium etc. I hope this goes ahead.

I think this topic deserves its own thread, rather than clogging the 2018 SANFL Reserves thread.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/de73728471b92f1ebb7fce49de8f3ca5

As I said in the reserves thread:

I love the idea of an national AFL reserves competition. I wonder if it would be played as a curtain raiser before the main fixture, or played on a separate oval? I think it would be fantastic to be able to get to the footy an hour or two early and watch the reserves. Makes the football into more of a "day" out. My only concern is would the grounds cope with the extra game? Imagine Etihad after 4 or 6 games had been played on it in one weekend.

I think this could have a great benefit to the competition standard though. Depth players will be playing against other full time professional footballers, instead of part-time state league players. They would get the AFL player treatment, by travelling, and playing on big grounds like the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium etc. I hope this goes ahead.

I think it sounds like everyone will be happy for a national reserves comp, SANFL supporters and AFL Supporters

Win /Win

But as for pre game, wont happen cost restrictive

Completely open to a reserves comp though. Will give clubs and supporters a better idea of where the players sit and provide a higher quality competition.

That's my theory for why they would stop clubs warming up on ground in future. Reserves game will be curtain raiser.
How about turning it on its head and play reserves games AFTER the 1sts' game?

This way if there are any last minute injuries/issues to the first 22, they could easily drag a replacement in from the reserves.

This should have happened a LONG LONG time ago. However, what this will do IMHO is spell the end of state competitions. The funding from the AFL will keep reducing, the crowds will keep dwindling and the clubs will continue to die slow death.

I am not sure how clubs will acquire all the top up players. If they are going to pick their players from State league, it will dilute the competition even further. I would like to see clubs pick up young players that were overlooked in the draft (like we did with Murphy) but I suspect it will be much more "open" than that.

How about turning it on its head and play reserves games AFTER the 1sts' game?

This way if there are any last minute injuries/issues to the first 22, they could easily drag a replacement in from the reserves.
So for night games kick off the reserves game at what, 10:30pm?

This should have happened a LONG LONG time ago. However, what this will do IMHO is spell the end of state competitions. The funding from the AFL will keep reducing, the crowds will keep dwindling and the clubs will continue to die slow death.

I am not sure how clubs will acquire all the top up players. If they are going to pick their players from State league, it will dilute the competition even further. I would like to see clubs pick up young players that were overlooked in the draft (like we did with Murphy) but I suspect it will be much more "open" than that.
Lists to accommodate top ups in a seperate 'top up' draft? They can't play AFL, but clubs that pick them get the equivalent of father/son or an academy pick on them if they wish to recruit them the next season?

That way less mature agers are taken from state leagues than if they could play 1sts

Lower leagues will always exist, if they don't the whole sport is in trouble, which ever sport can master the running of lower leagues, it will be a dominant sport

AFL up until now have been the masters of it, will they continue to be

You could lessen wear on the two Victorian grounds by playing Reserves games between two Victorian clubs on a suburban ground as they do now, play all visiting teams’ games at the main grounds with flexibility built in if they are struggling with keeping the playing field up to scratch.
While I’m concerned as to the effects this may have on the SANFL I’m happy for it to happen as I struggle with the inequality we have at the moment.

Agreed .....or they'll become truly amateur clubs .....won't be any money in the SANFL ....they're struggling now at clubland ....real pity, bit like State Level Cricket now days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Senior coaches regularly watching the young fellas playing live has got to be a plus
They do now already ......i think the AFL want a better level of competition ...the gap between state leagues and AFL is getting too great, hindering player development

Lists to accommodate top ups in a seperate 'top up' draft? They can't play AFL, but clubs that pick them get the equivalent of father/son or an academy pick on them if they wish to recruit them the next season?

That way less mature agers are taken from state leagues than if they could play 1sts
I don't mind that. Is there a limit on the age of the draftees or do they have to come from the underage competition? Is there anything stopping the Crows from drafting SANFL's best players to play for the reserves team? Not that I want that to happen. Do the delisted players also go into the top up draft or do they remain delisted FAs?

How does the match payments system work for the reserves? Is there a separate salary cap for them or are they all on minimum wage? Does the football department cap increase as well given that the recruiting/scouting department needs to be beefed up and more coaches would become full time?

So many things that need to be mapped out and the impact on all the clubs will be there. There is also the expenses that need to be considered and how the clubs cover them. For example for all the non-victorian clubs the travel costs would be far great than those of the non-victorian clubs. Do the travel cost get equally proportioned for all the clubs and not just those that travel?

Lower leagues will always exist, if they don't the whole sport is in trouble, which ever sport can master the running of lower leagues, it will be a dominant sport

AFL up until now have been the masters of it, will they continue to be
Lower leagues will exist but they will be like amateur clubs. SANFL clubs suffer financially as it is despite getting the money paid to them every year by both Crows and Port. Most of them, if not all rely on pokies to get by. Remove the cash cow that are the AFL clubs and see how well they go then. See how they go attracting players from interstate when there is less money in the kitty than there is now. See how they go when all those players would rather go and play for an AFL reserves team because in their mind that gives them the best chance to be seen regularly and be given a chance by the AFL club.

You hear the SANFL contingent whinge about the "inequity" now even though they are getting a cheque for both AFL teams playing in the league. Wait until they have no hope in hell attracting a good player because they would rather try their luck in AFL reserves side if they can get a spot in one.

Can't see this happening whilst the league persist with overseas ventures and AFLX.

I'd rather the Crows and Port not be in the SANFL but it will remain the case for a while I reckon.

... I am not sure how clubs will acquire all the top up players. If they are going to pick their players from State league, it will dilute the competition even further. I would like to see clubs pick up young players that were overlooked in the draft (like we did with Murphy) but I suspect it will be much more "open" than that.
They could just increase the Clubs' list sizes or number of rookies. Every year nearly a hundred players get added to AFL via the draft means a similar number must be getting cut. I guess a Club hit by injuries severely will probably still need top ups.

Lower leagues will exist but they will be like amateur clubs. SANFL clubs suffer financially as it is despite getting the money paid to them every year by both Crows and Port. Most of them, if not all rely on pokies to get by. Remove the cash cow that are the AFL clubs and see how well they go then. See how they go attracting players from interstate when there is less money in the kitty than there is now. See how they go when all those players would rather go and play for an AFL reserves team because in their mind that gives them the best chance to be seen regularly and be given a chance by the AFL club.

You hear the SANFL contingent whinge about the "inequity" now even though they are getting a cheque for both AFL teams playing in the league. Wait until they have no hope in hell attracting a good player because they would rather try their luck in AFL reserves side if they can get a spot in one.
Point out all this money from Port and Adelaide the SANFL clubs are getting. I want a thorough explanation.

On the surface I think it is a great idea ... but need look at the practicalities and implications of list management, cost factors, scheduling etc etc.

It will be interesting to see what it does to the current VFL comp ... as I see that as having the most implications given the way the clubs are presently aligned etc

It will without question be a win win for All parties

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back