AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Dolphins hype has faded a bit now they are losing games. 20 years from now there'll be enough population for a second brisbane team. Would prefer to see Canberra first.
Redcliffe is basically Brisbane.

V’Landys is looking at a team in Ipswich.

Then you’ll have the Broncos in central Brisbane, Redcliffe in North Brisbane up to the Sunshine Coast and Ipswich to capture the western Corridor along with the Titans and the Cowboys.

Then you’ll have the Broncos in central Brisbane, Redcliffe in North Brisbane up to the Sunshine Coast and Ipswich to capture the western Corridor along with the Titans and the Cowboys.

How much does this bloke love the attention, the Sydney media fawn all over every comment he makes and half of his ideas seem like a brain fart to get himself in the news again.

Last week he was looking at another team in Melbourne, games in Las Vegas and moving Magic Round. None of those things will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be an 18th team they are looking to grow to 20. The Brisbane Jets have a strong business case

They will most likely end up with an 18th team (less likely would be they drop back to 16) but it is very unlikely they will be going to 20 teams in the next decade and more.

As Walshawk correctly pointed out, it is just V'Landys shooting his mouth off. There is no corporate strategy being implemented when he is doing this.

They will most likely end up with an 18th team (less likely would be they drop back to 16) but it is very unlikely they will be going to 20 teams in the next decade and more.

As Walshawk correctly pointed out, it is just V'Landys shooting his mouth off. There is no corporate strategy being implemented when he is doing this.
They will go to 18 sides to get the 9th game and extra money. Melbourne is him shooting his mouth off, Perth and the Brisbane Jets are both active bids for the 18th licence

On topic. The main concern for the AFL right now would be the Suns seemingly still being uncompetitive while the NRL has introduced a new expansion team in south east Queensland that appears to be an instant success. You need successful franchises if you want to compete in emerging markets, that's growth logic 101.
Whether they install a proven coach to replace Dew or not, the Suns will be fine. The sheer amount of talent coming through their academy means they'll have a pretty good inflow of top players for a while, and the discounts mean they'll still have assets left over to trade for good players.

I know the deck was stacked with big Victorian clubs travelling for school holidays, but, there were two AFL games and two NRL games in Queensland this round, and the aggregate crowds favoured AFL.

LionsTigers: 30,022
SunsPies: 22,483
AFL total: 52,505

BroncosDolphins: 30,606
CowboysTigers: 20,535
NRL total: 51,141

The NRL was probably hamstrung a bit playing at the Gabba instead of their usual ground, but it was still the Brisbane derby, so I think they'd be disappointed with the crowd. And the Cowboys also had an above average.

Doesn't look like the Dolphins have killed off AFL in Queensland just yet. Might need a third Brisbane team to finish off the job. Just wish the Suns could've put on a better performance for the big crowd.

Doesn't look like the Dolphins have killed off AFL in Queensland just yet.

And no code does that, well overnight.
The Dolphins have found r.l. supporters for what ever reason weren't in the r.l. mix before.
If Canberra get an AFL side it's not going to kill off r.l. there either - it's going to bring AFL sympathizers.
It takes a generation for the unaligned youngsters to change the demographic.

They're talking seriously about the Perth Pirates again obviously reflecting on the initial success of the Western Reds
forgetting that there aren't as many Sydney-siders here now and those that stayed - their offspring probably follow AFL.

NRL and AFL can grow equally and together all around the country, but AFL has already won in Queensland and NSW. Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans are some of the most supported and loved clubs in the country.

AFL is also generally more fun to watch than NRL.

VFL/AFL ultimatey has defeated NRL in terms of popularity and becoming the no.1 football code. Strategically setting up expansion to get a minimum of 2 teams in each state has created a solid balance. Soon we'll have a Tassie team and potentially a NT or Canberra team to top it all off.

I can see if we go past 20 teams, having a third team in Queensland and NSW would be beneficial for the game.

I feel that A-League will ultimately take over the NRL and secure the number 2 spot if they don't expand to Perth, Adelaide and Tasmania, and aim to have more teams in Melbourne.

Heck, if Rugby Union got its crap together and set up a domestic competition with SA and Tassie, that could overtake NRL.

NRL and AFL can grow equally and together all around the country, but AFL has already won in Queensland and NSW. Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans are some of the most supported and loved clubs in the country.

VFL/AFL ultimatey has defeated NRL in terms of popularity and becoming the no.1 football code. Strategically setting up expansion to get a minimum of 2 teams in each state has created a solid balance. Soon we'll have a Tassie team and potentially a NT or Canberra team to top it all off.

I can see if we go past 20 teams, having a third team in Queensland and NSW would be beneficial for the game.

I feel that A-League will ultimately take over the NRL and secure the number 2 spot if they don't expand to Perth, Adelaide and Tasmania, and aim to have more teams in Melbourne.

Heck, if Rugby Union got its crap together and set up a domestic competition with SA and Tassie, that could overtake NRL.
24 teams I feel is the maximum number of teams the AFL can have and remain single-tier. Maybe 25 teams but I feel that clubs playing 23 games a year should be the ceiling, for their own health and well-being.

If they ever get to 25 teams, I hope they have the balls to go to a conference system.

It might be a long way off, but there is absolutely potential in the future for third clubs in Perth, Sydney, and Adelaide, plus a second club in the north of Brisbane, a northern Australia side, a Canberra side, and possibly even a New Zealand side.

Of the following, you could argue:
WA3 is viable now, let alone the 2030s; SA3 possibly 2030s, if not 2040s; ACT 2030s; Northern Australia 2040s but earlier with federal funding; 3rd Sydney and 2nd Brisbane 2050s; NZ 2040s if the work goes into it this decade.

I get that they only add two expansion sides every 15 years or so, and with good reason; we're not going to have 22 teams, let alone 24 pre-2050.

But there will be plenty of viable expansion options, I think, beyond 20 teams, post-2050.

The AFL will have to decide whether there'll be contraction in the future, or a new structure to the league, unless they do not think even half of these options I mentioned would ever be viable.

Your afl beating nrl part of your statement - I can see your points. I wouldn't agree completely with the conclusion, but it has the potential to be right.

But the rest (A-League, Rugby Union) - No chance in hell.
I mean. If the SUper Rugby format collapsed, and we have an Australia only league. And we got an Adelaide side, I might go watch them. But a domestic comp when we're in Super Rugby at a higher level? I wouldn't bother there. **** that.

Discuss..

Discuss..
NSW must be happy.
They might be able to win SOO once in a while (what is it? 4 of the last 18? Embarrassing)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back