Afl X WAS AWESOME

Remove this Banner Ad

False.

I enjoy other sports but you're kidding yourself if you found AFLX enjoyable.

It was the worst thing the AFL have ever come up with, worse than Hawthorn's diamond preseason jumper from the 90s. Worse than Angry Anderson on the Batmobile. Worse than Meatloaf. Worse than the Gold Coast theme song. Well, maybe not that bad.

Looked like a training run to me. No real intensity.
The 11 pointer is a crock.
If they want to develop this game in it's own right as a summer sport then fine, but leave AFL listed players out of it.
Probably leave AFL teams out as well. Come up with different non related to AFL clubs to compete possibly with a relegation system if take up from sporting clubs is prominent.
A bit like indoor cricket comps.

Just an idea for it - why not reverse the Zooper goal situation?

3pts for a goal kicked outside 40m
6pts for a goal kicked between 40-20m.
And the 10pts for a goal kicked in a 20m arc (like the soccer box).

Would make it easier for defenders and add reward to advancing the ball rather than just bombing long goals.

Could add speccies and a bit more of a contested nature back to the game as putting it up to the goalsquare becomes a legitimate option for the 10pts - the contested footy would happen close to goals as defenders would flood back. To me this is preferabe to endless stoppages on the wing.

So many game permutations as well - 30 sec to go, team A down by 7 points, can't go for a regular goal so they HAVE to get it in the 20m arc. Team B floods back. Team A out of desperation kicks a 6pt goal and backs themselves to kick any other goal before time is up. Situations like this could be cool?

i reckon 10 points for 15m or closer or from your own half and add an 8th player with 2 on the bench.

Just an idea for it - why not reverse the Zooper goal situation?

3pts for a goal kicked outside 40m
6pts for a goal kicked between 40-20m.
And the 10pts for a goal kicked in a 20m arc (like the soccer box).

Would make it easier for defenders and add reward to advancing the ball rather than just bombing long goals.

Could add speccies and a bit more of a contested nature back to the game as putting it up to the goalsquare becomes a legitimate option for the 10pts - the contested footy would happen close to goals as defenders would flood back. To me this is preferabe to endless stoppages on the wing.

So many game permutations as well - 30 sec to go, team A down by 7 points, can't go for a regular goal so they HAVE to get it in the 20m arc. Team B floods back. Team A out of desperation kicks a 6pt goal and backs themselves to kick any other goal before time is up. Situations like this could be cool?
Good idea Gov. The 10 points for outside 40 is too easy. You only need to go at 60% of inside 40 shots to be equal. The 40-45m area is too large to defend.

Definitely needs a bit of tweaking but I certainly think it has merit.
Gil seemed a bit in fairy land with his take on it. As if, for example only, Hawthorn would release Cyril to play in a separate comp for another team where an injury could ruin his proper AFL season. All so Cyril could earn extra coin.

12 a side with 9 on the field, 3 in each third of the ground starting. Max squad of 20 players for the day.
2x 15min halves or 4x 10min qtrs
3 teams per location so each team plays 2 games, maybe over two weeks with finals in the 3rd week for an actual prize.
Maybe take over from the JLT thing.

I wont give it an X either way yet but did like it more than not

Another tweak, 1 or 2 players from each team must remain inside each 40 mtr zone.
Another way to ease congestion.
You just have a Linesman watching each zone and if a team breaks the rule they whistle and flag. Oppo team gets free 40m kick for goal.

I loved afl x. I only watched wce but really showed our kids well.

If it was nab cup it would have been one sided low scoring.

Showed our fwds quite well.

Good joob AFL.

Afternoon Gil. Hope you are well !!

Any truth in the rumours about you and...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS i went in with low expectations and even still thought it was a stinking pile of s**t. So gimmicky, so many aspect of AFL not in the game, no pressure, no tackling, no exciting plays.

Just circle work at training and kicking the ball from outside 40m to get a zooper goal (kicking a goal from 40m is hard or exciting is it?)

Then the coverage side of things, everyone saying 'how much fun it is' etc. Tipping AFL released a memo: 'Talk AFLX or else!!!!!'

How many advertising can you fit on a soccer pitch? and Zooper goals? Really? What happens when someone else takes over the sponsorship? Cringworthy to extreme

Silver balls? Really? (wow, silver balls are so exciting!!!!) Already changed because we couldn't see them, didn't think to do a trial run first? Dickheads

What was with the announcer at the ground always talking?

Overall, im not sure how the work experience kid got the keys to the AFL, but jokes over buddy, give them back!!

assembles flak jacket, helmet, protective goggles, digs trench, fills sand bags, radios for air support

ok here goes.... in my smallest voice....

I liked it more than aflw

RUN, RUN.... Run for your life!!!

assembles flak jacket, helmet, protective goggles, digs trench, fills sand bags, radios for air support

ok here goes.... in my smallest voice....

I liked it more than aflw

RUN, RUN.... Run for your life!!!

Probably something along the lines:

'Take a day off and have a think about why you shouldn't do this type of thing:'

lol

I thought it was okay, will be interesting to watch it live tonight, although would have been awesome at AAMI Park

My thoughts on how to improve it:
Remove the zoopa goals
Remove the 40m line altogether.
Make the goals and points 20% tighter to make scoring harder.
Use yellow or red normal size footies
Incorporate some state league or local teams in a pre AFLX tournament, allow the top 6 to play in the AFLX so 24 teams play
Should be 10 players a side, which would make it more contested
Kick a goal it should go back to the center for a ruck contest
To be realistic rather than just bagging it, then yes this would be an improvement. However, the game you're describing is almost International rules, which is essentially Gaelic football.

My improvement tips:
Make the ground oval-shaped
22 players each
Centre square
Play football

I can't stress enough how bad "Zooper goals" is.

People talk about Americanisation, but could anyone picture Al Michaels yelling out "And Tom Brady throws a Doritos touch down to win the Superbowl!"
"Cam Guthrie with a 'Highpoint shopping centre' point to square things up."

"Breust kicks a sizzling 'Nova top 40' inside 40 pass lace-out to Gunston."

"Oh no, he's given away a 'four'n twenty' 25 meter penalty!"

To be realistic rather than just bagging it, then yes this would be an improvement. However, the game you're describing is almost International rules, which is essentially Gaelic football.

My improvement tips:
Make the ground oval-shaped
22 players each
Centre square
Play football

They already do that.

AFLX isn't supposed to replace aussie rules football.

They already do that.

AFLX isn't supposed to replace aussie rules football.
I disagree. AFLX is supposed to replace Aussie Rules as our 'foreigner friendly' export. The league is too money-grubbing to accept our game is great, but is something peculiar to this country. They are lucky to have fans that love the game so much that they'll sit through this watery crap even though it's essentially rectangular VFL with fairy lights.

Or could just do 10pts for 20m arc, 6pts anywhere else to avoid unnecessary complications, but yeah reckon teams should be rewarded for close goals as opposed to 42m kicks which are pretty simple to do.
I agree. Gil on the telecast last night was actually talking about freeing up the midfield with zones again and suggesting keeping a couple players confined within the arcs, which is just a recipe for umpiring errors. Give forwards incentive to stay close to home and the problem is solved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back