Afl X WAS AWESOME

Remove this Banner Ad

As a supporter of the reigning AFL X premiers, I'll make sure I'm available here on the MB for the next 12 months to mention how happy I was to see my team win the premiership at every opportunity, and to explain condescendingly to you all how to go about assembling a premiership winning list, despite having gone the previous several decades without anything resembling success.

So without further ado, here's an 18 paragraph missive on why I don't believe that GWS aren't quite ready to challenge for a premiership this year based on my newfound expert knowledge on what it takes to win a premiership, and the 40 minutes I watched of them playing football last year:

Gave it another chance to watch Carlton youngsters, lasted 7 mins. Was terrible and so boring.

Lastly, the fact JB and BT have to continually remind us the players and coaches love us tells you how much it is struggling. Shouldn't have to upsell, the game should be able to sell itself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

One positive I noticed with the format that has been confirmed over both nights now. Adelaide scored two Zooper goals in the first 53 seconds against Geelong on Thursday night. So after less than a minute the score was 20-0. Last night I went and saw Three Billboards and as I was walking to the bathroom after it I chucked on the AFL live app. We were down 30-3 against St.Kilda and looking in trouble. In the time it took me to pee, it was back to 30-15. The speed and ability to score quickly is the most unique thing to this concept. So it sort of feels like even if a side is a being flogged, no margin is too great to overcome with a couple of minutes of luck.

the second one is created and promoted by FIBA.

Not sure what your point is, I said the NBA wouldn't do it.

Even with the FIBA 3 on 3, pretty sure they didn't make their first foray into the international market with a ball you couldn't see, a court that resembles a cow paddock and a whole host of cheap gimmicks that devalue the game.

Rugby 7s is a much better comparison that T20 and thats the model they should follow.

A series of weekend long festivals involving the current team but no AFL listed players.

Have a draft with each round drawn randomly but teams get priority to any former players. Eg Josh Gibson can player for Hawks or North he gets to choose and so can Dayle Garlett when he gets out.

have it so every position is played for and points are awarded for each weekend with a final winner based that.

Going live it was a lot better than watching on tv.

I went night and the whole atmosphere was strange. You had some of the crowd watching thier team, some chatting with thier friends, some of the crowd walking around and some just watching at the bars.

It had a bit of a going to the pub and watching something on TV vibe about it.

The game is too fast as strange as it sounds and it leaves no time to cheer for goals.
You had cheersquads bring thier floggers. They were still waving them and the ball would be at the other end.

Cricket has those natural breaks to play music/fireworks/whatever. AFLX lacks them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact #1:
Zooper Dooper icypoles are manufactured by The Daily Drinks Company. Daily Drinks are owned by an Australasian company called Lion, who in turn are owned by Mitsubishi. I own a Mitsubishi. I reckon the next time I get it serviced, I should get free Zoopers to suck on while I wait.

Fun fact #2:
Lionel Ritchie did a TV commercial for Lion in 2013, and got paid 1.5 million for it.

Fun fact #3:
AFLX probably didn't rate well in the township of Leeton (2 hrs north of Albury), where 50 people recently lost their jobs due to Lion's 'restructuring'. Every mention of ZOOPER GOAL! probably sent those particular viewers one step closer to insanity.

Fun fact #4:
Lion not only make Zooper Dooper icy poles, Big M & Dare Iced Coffee, but they own a bunch of breweries including Boags, Hahn, Tooheys & Castlemaine. Their business plan might look something like this: get kids hooked on sugar, and later introduce them to alcohol. When they reach the age of 40, they can walk around with their big fat gut hanging over their belt. It's the Australian way.

Fun fact #5:
If Zooper Goal! got on your nerves as much as it did mine, feel free to share your thoughts with Lion managing director Peter West at 737 Bourke Street, Docklands. Phone: 03 9188 8000. Lion chairman Rod Eddington is also a director at News Corp. He must have been proud of today's Herald Sun front page proclaiming 'BUCKS UNDER PRESSURE'. The season hasn't even started yet, and they're already priming the pump. So let me take this opportunity to tell Mr. Eddington to go **** himself. Rod began his education at Christ Church Grammar, which is proof enough of religious extremism. If you'd like to report Rod to the terrorist hotline, the number is 1 800 123 400.

Fun fact #6:
Zooper Car Sales are jumping for joy at the free publicity.

Fun fact #7:
Zooper icypoles come in 8 delicious flavours - black current, cola, fairy floss, bubblegum, raspberry, lime, orange & pineapple.

Fun fact #8:
Gil's idea of pre-game entertainment tonight was turning the PA up to 11. People left Etihad before the game even started because the music was unbearably loud.

Fun fact #9:
If you looked hard enough, behind the 3 hour Zooper advertisement you might have noticed a strange hybrid game of Basketball / Football, and it sucked. If getting laid is costing Bananaby his job, I reckon Gil should pay the ultimate price for treating a 150 year old game with shocking disrespect.
Fact 7 is wrong. They have 22 flavours (2 types of 8 and also a sour bag of 6 flavours)

Suspect they will be making adult zoopers (flavour and alcohol)

Is anyone else surprised the AFL didn't schedule the etihad tournament with the pies blues bombers hawks dees and tigers?

Surely would have maximised crowd and revenue doing it that way.

Kids have been playing this for a hundred years mate and do it better, i was playing lunchtime games like this back in the 80's.

I did the same in primary school but in high school a grass area was too far away to travel in breaks so ended up playing soccer with the wogs on tennis courts etc.

I did the same in primary school but in high school a grass area was too far away to travel in breaks so ended up playing soccer with the wogs on tennis courts etc.
Primary school was epic for these games, everyone willing to play and then the carry over into year 7 of high school but year 8 onwards was hard as kids didn't want to play games of footy at lunchtime preferring to sit on their arses talking about music and trying to look cool.

Primary school was epic for these games, everyone willing to play and then the carry over into year 7 of high school but year 8 onwards was hard as kids didn't want to play games of footy at lunchtime preferring to sit on their arses talking about music and trying to look cool.

I remember kicking the football during school breaks on basketball court and getting it into the hoops. Just do not do it with Shane Heal around. The kid might get a bit upset whilst he trying to play his basketball..

Over this s**t already. Was good to have some footy back after a long lay off, but 7 a side and racking up 70 points after a game is getting tiresome.

Can this s**t.

I gave it a rewatch and I gotta admit it's kinda growing on me.

A few quick goals here, and the game totally changes.
No stoppages, just attack, quick results etc..

And its great not having Ch7 shove an ad in "everytime" there's a goal.

I gave it a rewatch and I gotta admit it's kinda growing on me.

A few quick goals here, and the game totally changes.
No stoppages, just attack, quick results etc..

And its great not having Ch7 shove an ad in "everytime" there's a goal.

Okay BT/Cambell Brown/JB.

One big problem with AFL X is that it's just being treated as a kind of pre-pre-season hit out, where players are more interested in not getting injured than in winning the game. When you've got players half-arsing it, you're never really going to get a great spectacle and I think this alone accounts for a lot of the complaints that people here have. It's difficult to care about a sporting match in which there's nothing at all at stake.

I'd like to see this form of the sport, but with dedicated teams and players, because I do think that it has the potential to be an interesting event in its own right. It throws up some interesting tactical choices that teams would need to work through, and I think it has the chance to throw up some pretty decent highlights if the players were really going for it. Some of the chasing and tackling have been pretty spectacular already, for example. I'd probably add a couple of extra players on the field to increase the physical aspect of it, though, and I like the suggestion one of the commentators had of implementing a rule where each team has to have one player inside the forward 50 at all times to prevent all these kicks to open space.

One idea to increase the competitive element AFL X desperately needs would be to play it as a state of origin tournament involving state level players. It would increase motivation for the players, because in addition to the state rivalries it would be a massive opportunity for the players to show off their AFL credentials. As it is, though, the AFL are going to struggle to get people interested in future years, because we all know that the teams involved are treating it as nothing but a glorified training run.

I've watched all 3 days of this concept and I think there is merit going forward with a few rule and field revisions.

Some things that need to be addressed is the lack of high marking, so bring in an additional player or 2 on the ground to generate a pack marking contest. Also feature that one player has to remain in the forward 40 at all times.

Another thing that was missing was the angled goal kicking from the pockets. This could be addressed with the 40 meter line stopping 10 meters short of the boundary line on each side and then run in parallel with the boundary line towards the ends of the goals. The 10 point goals can be awarded to shots scored from tight angles within 40 meters of goal

If the game to continues to develop then the match times need to extend to fall in line with other codes. I would want at least 4x 20 minute quarters with no time on as you want at least 1.5 hours of entertainment to justify the price of admission. Also bring back the centre bounce after the goals to give everyone an opportunity to celebrate and give the players a break between plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back