AFLW 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Drip announcements it is. I count 8 to be announced. Curious about Perkins, she's helping coach at BH but should be named.

Drip announcements it is. I count 8 to be announced. Curious about Perkins, she's helping coach at BH but should be named.
Perkins will get another year. As you said, she is coaching at box hill, along with tilley and kash . It's a pathway program the hawks have for players.
Only way she doesn't get another year is if she retires.

Janet Baird is the one I'm interested in. Has talent, but was injured a lot, and does not attend anything the club has in place for the players.

Yes assuming we're getting Perkins, Fellows, Locke, Barbakos etc today. I think we already have three spots (Duffin-McCarthy-Carbone-Porter-Shannon out and the two Lions in), so not sure if there's any advantage to not recontracting the remaining players as the draft is only three rounds.

Yes assuming we're getting Perkins, Fellows, Locke, Barbakos etc today. I think we already have three spots (Duffin-McCarthy-Carbone-Porter-Shannon out and the two Lions in), so not sure if there's any advantage to not recontracting the remaining players as the draft is only three rounds.
Sophie has committed (word from the horses mouth).
Fellowes has interest from Melbourne, lives near casey fields, and plays/played for casey. Contract length may be a sticking point.

There will be a non-listed signing period after the draft (again, inside sources), amd box hill has a number of players who could step in

Yeah so dont have to fill list just this draft.

Choosing JB over Carbone was an interesting choice but I assume they are trying to figure out what they have with her across next season. Same for a lot of players. There will be some big calls for 2024 to be made, especially if all our youngsters continue to develop.

JB already had a contract so no choice there… Perkins and JB locked in prior to last year on 2 year contracts, meant Carbone was seventh in line for those resigned for new contracts

Hawthorn has re-signed AFLW forwards Sophie Locke, Tamara Luke, Tegan Cunningham, Aine McDonagh and Zoe Barbakos until the end of the 2023 season while Tahlia Fellows has signed on until the end of 2024.

Sarah Perkins and Janet Baird will also be in brown and gold guernseys in 2023, having initially signed two-year deals when they were recruited ahead of Hawthorn’s inaugural season

So we go into the draft with 3 spots confirmed.

I wonder why Stephenson, Baird, Perkins were the only 3 to have multi-year deals. We haven't even offered that to Bates or Bodey?

All three came from interstate clubs which i think it’s the common denominator of the extended contracted people Aristarchus

Not sure we’ve only offered bates and bodey a single year contract either - seen anything to confirm?

Last edited:
Signed on for 2023. But they have longer contracts. It was mentioned in one of the articles
Can't see it on hfc, aflw, hs, or age. About closest is this:
She said Hawthorn offered her the opportunity to work at the club a few days a week in the football department and rotate through roles, including in football analytics and list management.

Plenty on Molloy getting 4+1 though. I think it is likely for multiple years, the PSP stuff hardly makes sense otherwise but have to assume one year "but" for now.

Good article from Hawks about our list and those that re-signed:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure if they're not going to use a pick they can just pass. We're the only team who's list to picks doesn't match. I think it's likely there's a player they've committed to as a rookie they haven't announced...but why? Everything about this draft, especially from the AFL, has been opaque.

Will be interesting to see how many teams choose in-house picks. Going to be a weird draft.

Mystery spot is an announced rookie apparently.

Some background:
Our new Roosters - Mattea and Kalani | NAFC

Breed’s willingness to compete and ‘never give up attitude’ can be felt around the field. These traits make her a fierce competitor and accompanied by her physical size allows her to compete at ruck contests. Breed uses her size and power effectively to win the contested ball around the ground and can be played in a range of key positions.

Mattea Breed is a high-upside forward who has also rolled through the ruck despite standing at just 173cm. Boasting an incredibly vertical leap, Breed is athletic and can clunk some big grabs, but her development as a target for the Roosters since crossing from Norwood has been impressive. Playing local football in between, Breed is a naturally-gifted player and as a tall has taken longer to develop, but is a human highlight reel.

Last edited:
Breed looks like a swiss-army knife type up forward, can play all sorts of roles (even ruck!).

Stratton fills that forward-mid role we don't really have (Gilroy filled occasionally, Hipwell hopefully develops into it). Lovely story too, and the reaction vids with all the dogs excited too! :D

Here's what we have planned for our last list position, targetting an A-league goalkeeper Casey Dumont. Soaring to new heights have done the googling - she's 31 / 185cm and possibly is sought for ruck backup to Wales as Tam Luke gets back to fitness. Let's see how it goes

Here's what we have planned for our last list position, targetting an A-league goalkeeper Casey Dumont. Soaring to new heights have done the googling - she's 31 / 185cm and possibly is sought for ruck backup to Wales as Tam Luke gets back to fitness. Let's see how it goes

Need a mature back-up, we were very short last yr when injuries hit.

I'm a bit concerned picking up someone that age that doesn't have an AFL background though. There plenty of tall timber playing vflw and the Luke that'd be a better option

Remove this Banner Ad

Back