age of conan

Remove this Banner Ad

Well IMHO most WRPGs seem unintuitive without a keyboard and mouse, whilst most JRPGs seem unintuitive with a keyboard and mouse. Have you tried playing BG on the PS2 when it came out? I tried Oblivion on the XBOX and it was crap in all honesty in comparison to the computer version with board and mouse.

I'd agree with that. It basically comes down to if the game is 'point and click' or not really.

Must agree though that the MMOs I have seen on systems work far better on computer - FFXI (Which was only a hit on console because Japan and their PS2 and FF fetish) EQ, and Phantasy Star, though that was okay on the gamecube.

Yeah exactly. PC games tend to lend themselves more to playing ridiculous hours. Games like Neverwinter Nights, WoW, EVE etc.

Of the MMORPG's I know on consoles, 100% of them suck.

1/1, yup, scrap em all.

Depends on the type of RPG really, something like Final Fantasy suits consoles perfectly, games like Jade Empire do too. But games that are designed for mouse and keyboard, like WoW, Baldurs Gate, Conan etc. are very clumsy on consoles.

Thanks for showing us your psychic powers again Karl :thumbsu: What console can I play WoW on?

A while ago you were complaining there was no RPGs for the 360, now they all suck anyway. I love it.

I just went and bought Lost Odyssey, I'm hoping it can sway me towards the 360's collection a little more. The load times are allegedly quite horrendous, and I'll soon find out.

What disturbs me is that the game comes on 4 discs - what kind of prehistoric technology needs 4 discs for a damned console game? Ancient!

I just went and bought Lost Odyssey, I'm hoping it can sway me towards the 360's collection a little more. The load times are allegedly quite horrendous, and I'll soon find out.

What disturbs me is that the game comes on 4 discs - what kind of prehistoric technology needs 4 discs for a damned console game? Ancient!

Apparently there's about 60 hours of gameplay without the side quests. Don't worry, you won't be changing discs very often.

Must be a pretty good game if everybody is off playing it instead of posting about it!
I'm going to be playing WAR myself, but Conan could be worth a look in the mean time I suppose.

So far my Necro is on level 14, so I have been leveling slowly enough to soak in the atmosphere and the story line. The starting area, Tortage Island has a heap of quests to do and the way the quests are structured really makes you feel like you're doing something that is influencing the world instead of farming materials. The little cutscenes and dialogue with NPCs is a real treat, and it actually makes you a little more interested in what the quests are all about. The land you play in is beautiful, everything is very well detailed... and the water!

Here are some screenies:

uncshabobpicture001zs7.png

uncshabobpicture004da9.png

uncshabobpicture009xs7.png

uncshabobpicture012ac9.png

As expected though, there are a few issues. Some classes are incredibly unbalanced, such as the Tempest of Set - which can one-shot people, rangers can two-shot pretty much anyone with the except of the tank classes. Mages seem a little underpowered in terms of damage, chatbar is a little screwy and needs work. In groups, it is hard to see where your allies are as the map shows them as very small blue dots but I'm expecting this to change soon. I haven't really gone that far to test out the PvP, so it will be interesting to see what arises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What environment do you guys play on? PVP or PVE? Is it true that PVE has some PVP elements but just only in certain areas? That'd be good I reckon.

I play on a PvE server. The only major difference is that on PvP servers it is a FFA everywhere with the exception of cities... and while you're levelling you can get ganked time and time again. Once you travel beyond certain zones on a PvE server, you are fair game.

Been playing since early access started. (On Gwahlur also)

Pretty good comp so i can run it at all high with ~40fps.

Looks amazing on the 46" screen! (albeit only at 1280*720, not a Full HD lcd)

Level 50 conqueror now, games been pretty great so far.

Of course, as with any mmo launch theres been some bugs, but nothing compared to other games i played at launch (wow and HG:L)

Main thing that, i guess as i level makes it alot easier, but i think ill get annoyed with, is that every zone is instanced. Once it hits a player cap (a poultry 50 at the moment i think, hopefully will be increased after servers settle) it creates a new version of itself.

Gathering quests took a fair bit of time, but overall, great game.

Name on there is Jergen, what's yours?

Yeah loving the melee at the moment, the combo system is a massive change (upgrade) on the boring repetitive wow combat system.

Once i hit 40 and had the extra 2 directional attacks it took a bit to adapt, but now that i have things are going gret.

Don't think i could ever get sick of lopping peoples heads off with fatalities.

Hows the necro? seen a few around and they look like a hell of alot of fun.

Name on there is Jergen, what's yours?

Uncshabob. Same name I used in WoW.

Hows the necro? seen a few around and they look like a hell of alot of fun.

Lots of fun, their unholy spells are awesome. It's an interesting mechanic that pets do not actually attract aggro so enemies will actually be hitting you. Usually they drop dead before they even reach me thanks to my DoT spells, but if there are more of them (say 3 at me), I use Parasitic Soul Swarm which is an AoE spell... which is pretty awesome. One of the fatalities are that a black shadow holds them in place, and they struggle before death. When they die, their souls rise up as skulls and serve as my minions for a few minutes.

I have a lot of frost spells too, but haven't used them extensively because unholy is doing the job atm.

I just bought this today and am installing now. Does anyone know how many megs worth of patches I have to download after the install? If it's too much I will have to wait until an offpeak time to download them...

I just bought this today and am installing now. Does anyone know how many megs worth of patches I have to download after the install? If it's too much I will have to wait until an offpeak time to download them...

Installed it Friday, and off memory it was around 700-800mb all up (1 650mb patch and a few small ones).

After you reach level 50... it is a huge grind.

BTW, those who have just got the game - names please? And what character and server?

im Picardo, on bloodspire (i think thats what it's called) PvP. Im a level 21 assassin at the moment...

Well after levelling to 51 on my ToS and 42 on my Barbarian, I quit. Mainly because PvP is s**t. Everyone just runs around in circles spamming and can rarely get combos off. Bloody frustrating.

Not sure if I have it in me to play another MMO anyway.

Have fun fellas.

Well after levelling to 51 on my ToS and 42 on my Barbarian, I quit. Mainly because PvP is s**t. Everyone just runs around in circles spamming and can rarely get combos off. Bloody frustrating.

Not sure if I have it in me to play another MMO anyway.

Have fun fellas.

Aww that's a shame. :(

I'm going to give this game more time because usually in the first month MMOs have to find their feet and fix a lot of bugs. WoW was no exception to that rule either. AoC still has a lot of potential and once they iron out some of the bugs and balances the classes more, then the game will be much more enjoyable.

BTW, I hit 80 on my Necro on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back