Travel Airlines, Flights, Airports and Frequent Flyer Programs

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking to go to Scandenavia next year. Tips for shortest route/ Good value/ where to land in either Denmark, Finland, Norway or Sweden? Was thinking Copenhagen.

Happy to fly with any decent airline. Probably looking at premium economy for the longer trip.

Looking to go to Scandenavia next year. Tips for shortest route/ Good value/ where to land in either Denmark, Finland, Norway or Sweden? Was thinking Copenhagen.

Happy to fly with any decent airline. Probably looking at premium economy for the longer trip.
Shortest trip and the best PE would be with Singapore Airlines to Copenhagen as from Australia it’s only 1 stop but it will be more expensive. The cheapest option is probably a 2 stop option with a combination of Star Alliance partners and a mixture of classes. The most common is Sydney or Melbourne to Bangkok with Thai Air in economy and then onto Austria or Germany via Austrian Airlines or Lufthansa in PE. Then the short hop to Scandinavia in Economy

Id hazard a guess and say quickest (and a good chance at cheapest) is with Finair
They fly into Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Osako, Nagoya, Seoul and Tokyo

You can hit Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo with qantas from Melbourne, being the same alliance and them having codeshare agreements you could go the whole way through with good connections and checked baggage not having to worry about bags or the like in transit on the way.
Plus, the network out of Heksinki is great to the rest of that region.

Though, Singapore Airlines does go to Stockholm too. So it comes down to where in particular you want to fly into. If its in and out of Copenhagen and/or Stockholm. Singapore Airlines would be a good choice. But if you wanted to start/end elsewhere like Helsinki/Oslo, Id look at Finnair.

Id hazard a guess and say quickest (and a good chance at cheapest) is with Finair
They fly into Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Osako, Nagoya, Seoul and Tokyo

You can hit Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo with qantas from Melbourne, being the same alliance and them having codeshare agreements you could go the whole way through with good connections and checked baggage not having to worry about bags or the like in transit on the way.
Plus, the network out of Heksinki is great to the rest of that region.

Though, Singapore Airlines does go to Stockholm too. So it comes down to where in particular you want to fly into. If its in and out of Copenhagen and/or Stockholm. Singapore Airlines would be a good choice. But if you wanted to start/end elsewhere like Helsinki/Oslo, Id look at Finnair.
No PE on Finnair currently. Think they are scheduled to start retrofitting their A350’s at the end of 2020 and aiming to be all done within 2 years after that.

Stupid question how do you get FF points? Didn't really go anywhere for a while but in the last 7 or so years I have flown a bit. Must have racked up a few but is there some program you need to enter or do they accumulate on an account?

Stupid question how do you get FF points? Didn't really go anywhere for a while but in the last 7 or so years I have flown a bit. Must have racked up a few but is there some program you need to enter or do they accumulate on an account?
All airlines will have their own FF program that you sign up to (most are free). Once you have done this you simply include your FF number in the booking and you will receive your points/status credits. Most FF programs have partners or alliances so that points can be earnt with one of these partners. For example a Qantas FF can earn points on any One World alliance flight or partner flight, say you fly Cathay for instance you just add your QFF number to the booking

I'm going to have about 18 hours at Changi Airport in Singapore, and cbf clearing customs. I've had a look at a few of the transit hotels, there looks to be 3 there.

For a sleep, shower and own toilet I'm happy to pay, anyone used these before?
I recently watched a youtube video about a pair of guys doing a 96 hour layover and not leaving the airport (legally the limit is 48 hours) and for night #3 they went and found some nap rooms. The footage looked like it was pretty good. Similar to the rest area in Qatar Bussiness lounge in Doha.

Not exactly a hotel, but it looked good quality and provided you with the basics.

I'm going to have about 18 hours at Changi Airport in Singapore, and cbf clearing customs. I've had a look at a few of the transit hotels, there looks to be 3 there.

For a sleep, shower and own toilet I'm happy to pay, anyone used these before?
Stayed in the T1 hotel about a month ago and it was fine. I arrived after midnight and was departing early morning so just needed a few hours sleep. Was well and truly worth it IMO

Stayed in the T1 hotel about a month ago and it was fine. I arrived after midnight and was departing early morning so just needed a few hours sleep. Was well and truly worth it IMO
My thoughts exactly, after a longish plane haul where I know I won't sleep, happy to pay for a bed, private toilet + shower to refresh halfway. Makes the second leg so much more bearable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts exactly, after a longish plane haul where I know I won't sleep, happy to pay for a bed, private toilet + shower to refresh halfway. Makes the second leg so much more bearable.
Don’t know about the other two but the one in T1 had a pool aswell if you wanted a refreshing dip. As a rule if I have a stopover of 12hrs plus or a shorter daytime one I’ll head into town. This time it just didn’t make sense at that time of night

Don’t know about the other two but the one in T1 had a pool aswell if you wanted a refreshing dip. As a rule if I have a stopover of 12hrs plus or a shorter daytime one I’ll head into town. This time it just didn’t make sense at that time of night
Don't know the city well enough to know how easy it is to get to and from airport, also would then have to clear customs, collect baggage etc to come back. Most likely going to just chill at Changi for 12 hours or so in one of the air hotels and roam around the shopping and stuff there. It's meant to be a good airport.

Don't know the city well enough to know how easy it is to get to and from airport, also would then have to clear customs, collect baggage etc to come back. Most likely going to just chill at Changi for 12 hours or so in one of the air hotels and roam around the shopping and stuff there. It's meant to be a good airport.
Fair enough. I just enjoy heading into town to a hotel and then freshen up before going for a wander. Easy place to get around and clearing customs is very easy at Singapore. For a shorter connection I usually head to the applicable lounge or go for a wander as there is plenty to see in the Airport. Jewel is pretty cool but beware the hoardes of tourists

From my experience at Singapore, customs is a non issue. Fly right through. Plus you can have your stuff through checked anyway. So no luggage issues.

Also, Taxis is basically the one thing in Singapore which is dirt cheap.
Last year my dad and I went from the tiger brewery (western edge of the island) to our hotel (southern edge of the island) to Changi (eastern edge of the island) and paid $50 for the 47km trip while waiting at the Otel for my mum to come out and we checkout.

For 18 hours I would recommend at least going into town. It is cheap and is no issue. And I think for transit hotels like that, you can pay for part days? Pay for 10 hours, sleep, shower etc. then use 4-5 hours seeing the city as we’ll.

From my experience at Singapore, customs is a non issue. Fly right through. Plus you can have your stuff through checked anyway. So no luggage issues.

Also, Taxis is basically the one thing in Singapore which is dirt cheap.
Last year my dad and I went from the tiger brewery (western edge of the island) to our hotel (southern edge of the island) to Changi (eastern edge of the island) and paid $50 for the 47km trip while waiting at the Otel for my mum to come out and we checkout.

For 18 hours I would recommend at least going into town. It is cheap and is no issue. And I think for transit hotels like that, you can pay for part days? Pay for 10 hours, sleep, shower etc. then use 4-5 hours seeing the city as we’ll.
Does anyone know if the luggage goes straight to the plane even for an 18 hour stopover? Or do I have to collect it. Usually on a connecting flight it goes straight through for you but unsure with such a long layoff

Does anyone know if the luggage goes straight to the plane even for an 18 hour stopover? Or do I have to collect it. Usually on a connecting flight it goes straight through for you but unsure with such a long layoff
Different rules across different airlines.
Who are you flying with and is it the same airline for both flights?

Different rules across different airlines.
Who are you flying with and is it the same airline for both flights?
Yep, Singapore airlines, and I think technically it's a connection just happens to be a long delay. I've never done it before though, usually they take my checked bags straight across but my transit times are usually only a couple of hours.

Yep, Singapore airlines, and I think technically it's a connection just happens to be a long delay. I've never done it before though, usually they take my checked bags straight across but my transit times are usually only a couple of hours.
Singapore Airlines will through check your baggage through to your final destination if you want when your transit is under 24hrs.
That would allow you to to cruise through immigration with your carry on luggage and head into a city hotel if you wanted

I had no issues for a trip of mine a few years back

Adelaide - Sydney - Santiago - Lima - Cancun

Had the long layover in Lima (14 hours) and I went to the airport hotel.
Bags were checked the whole way from Adelaide no issue and that’s was technically 3 airlines (qantas to Sydney, LATAM Chile to Lima, LATAM Peru to Cancun)

If it’s the same ticket it’ll probably default to check the whole way through unless you ask otherwise (me on the way home as I was overnighting in Lima again)

Bags were checked the whole way from Adelaide no issue and that’s was technically 3 airlines (qantas to Sydney, LATAM Chile to Lima, LATAM Peru to Cancun)

If it’s the same ticket it’ll probably default to check the whole way through unless you ask otherwise (me on the way home as I was overnighting in Lima again)
Why would you not go to LA then Cancun ?

Why would you not go to LA then Cancun ?
Was the initial plan (or it could've been Dallas)
Then found a cheap business deal through to Lima
Deleted the initial flight
Went to book new one
Could only get that offer now through to Santiago

Had already had the cancellation fee, and with now a higher economy price I just went **** it and booked the new flights anyway.

LATAM and Qantas are One World Alliance members (for now) so will happily tag through luggage to the final destination.
Airlines can also have separate interline agreements with other airlines also

Remove this Banner Ad

Back