Alan Toovey

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a Carltank flog, so would understand such principles, but what's with quoting Toovey's trademark chant considering you support cheating Carltank?

Thanks for your input.. Is this Bay 13? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it maybe his trademark chant, but it looks like it wont be chanted by Pies supporters anymore, so whats your problem.. :cool:

Actually all you heard was a delusional manager making unreasonable demands.

He wasn't talking negotiations, he was talking about pushing his player into walking out because Collingwood won't meet his stupid demands.
More likely I'm hearing someone who isn't used to cut and thrust business dealings posting on an internet forum from a bubble wrapped position.

Actually all you heard was a delusional manager making unreasonable demands.

He wasn't talking negotiations, he was talking about pushing his player into walking out because Collingwood won't meet his stupid demands.

Pretty much. Collingwoods cap is already strained, there's literally no more to give. Tooveys amanger is asking the impossible, he wants us to delist a senior player so we can up Tooveys contract, thats obviously not going to happen, so what can the club do? By all means get the best you can for yourself but you've got to understand what is possible and what isn't.

Pretty much. Collingwoods cap is already strained, there's literally no more to give. Tooveys amanger is asking the impossible, he wants us to delist a senior player so we can up Tooveys contract, thats obviously not going to happen, so what can the club do? By all means get the best you can for yourself but you've got to understand what is possible and what isn't.
That's Collingwood's cap management then. Clubs ask players like Toovey (who we all we recognize as slightly above average niche performer) to sacrifice their natural game then come contract negotiation time, don't reward them for doing so.

I don't have an issue with his management bringing this up seeking the best deal for his client. Toovey's management responsibility is to Toovey, not the Collingwood Football Club.

Salary cap at work, should get a reasonable offer from a club in need of defenders. Goldsack or Clarke to slip right in on the HBF so not too fussed.

Will enjoy watching him butcher disposals out of our half forward line, wont enjoy watching him shut down our forwards.

Basically called him out for being an average player, solid who'd look worse elsewhere (all true by the way, but still harsh).

Not that I disagree with Toovey being a solid, average player, but you'd need to convince me that a shutdown defender looks worse in a worse team.

Surjan looked pretty damn good in '09, for example.

People are looking at this the wrong way. The figure of importance is not what Toovey's asking, it's what he's being offered.

If the Pies offer something that's well below the biggest pay cut he's willing to take, then he'd have made the call to go elsewhere. Once he made that call, who wouldn't look for the biggest salary they can.

So using the figures from this thread, it's not that Toovey is asking the Pies for 350k, he'd have considered 200k well below his minimum level, and decided to look formother opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I disagree with Toovey being a solid, average player, but you'd need to convince me that a shutdown defender looks worse in a worse team.

Surjan looked pretty damn good in '09, for example.
Worse teams have more D50 entries, and more importantly, those entries are usually open and dangerous. Makes defenders look works when good balls going in creating goals.

Look at the AA CHB for god knows how long....it's the best teams CHB.

Furthermore, worse teams usually have worse players. He won't have the luxury of having good defenders around him allowing him to focus JUST on him man. He now has to worry about everyone elses problems.

Collingwood's forward press is excellent. Forces long bombs and iffy F50 entries. Will be a lot harder defending elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with what Toovs has done. A LOT wrong with Marinis' management of the situation and his player. Made a good bloke look like a prick.

In the last few years Geelong has not been able to keep hold of Mumford, Laidler, Prismall & Ablett. You'd think with Collingwood being as good as they have the last two seasons that they'd face a similar problem.

Nothing wrong with what Toovs has done. A LOT wrong with Marinis' management of the situation and his player. Made a good bloke look like a prick.
How so? Marinis has stated that the two sides can't come to an agreement in regards to numbers meeting thanks to the pressures of Collingwood's salary cap. The only way Toovey will be able to remain at Collingwood whilst servicing his financial needs is that another player would have to be moved on. That's a market reality. Marinis isn't saying delist a player so Toovey can stay, he's making a point about the situation.

There's some gross misrepresentation going on here.

Toovey set to walk from Pies

"The only way this can work unfortunately is if Collingwood delist a senior player in order to move in that salary cap."

That's being realistic knowing you're not going to get the compensation you want from Collingwood and being prepared to move on.

Worse teams have more D50 entries, and more importantly, those entries are usually open and dangerous. Makes defenders look works when good balls going in creating goals.

I mean, I agree that to joe public it looks worse, but to people who actually watch football? Did you think any less of Dale Morris this year c.f. previous years when the Bulldogs were top 4?

For more evidence, see when Ben Hart and James Clement won their B&F's.

Look at the AA CHB for god knows how long....it's the best teams CHB.

Sure, but many people thought the CHB in the worst team in the league looked best of all this year (i.e. Bock). All Australian selectors almost have a mantra that good teams must be rewarded, so the guy from the good team always gets the benefit of the doubt (unless you're Heath Scotland).

Furthermore, worse teams usually have worse players. He won't have the luxury of having good defenders around him allowing him to focus JUST on him man. He now has to worry about everyone elses problems.

Doesn't focus on just his man now either, Collingwood do more cross-switching than any other club.

Fwiw, any interest from an Adelaide POV?

The cap squeeze was always going to be on with Cloke, Swan, Pendles and Thomas all signing new contracts last year or this.

Toovey isn’t a super-important player, if him and Leigh Brown are all that they lose they should be happy.

Go get him hirdy... we need him down back.:D

How so? Marinis' has stated that the two sides can't come to an agreement in regards to numbers meeting thanks to the pressures of Collingwood's salary cap. The only way Toovey will be able to remain at Collingwood whilst servicing his financial needs is that another player would have to be moved on. That's a market reality. Marinis isn't saying delist a player so Toovey can stay, he's making a point about the situation.

There's some gross misrepresentation going on here.

That's being realistic knowing you're not going to get the compensation you want from Collingwood and being prepared to move on.

I have NO qualms with Toov seeking opportunities elsewhere. But for Maniris to first send out an email to clubs stating he'll leave and if there's no trade he'll go to the draft, then to come on radio and state it will take a de-listed player to fund his financial objectives....Toovey has been made to look like an arsehole by Maniris, and he's not an arsehole.

I mean, I agree that to joe public it looks worse, but to people who actually watch football? Did you think any less of Dale Morris this year c.f. previous years when the Bulldogs were top 4?

Sure, but many people thought the CHB in the worst team in the league looked best of all this year (i.e. Bock). All Australian selectors almost have a mantra that good teams must be rewarded, so the guy from the good team always gets the benefit of the doubt (unless you're Heath Scotland).

Doesn't focus on just his man now either, Collingwood do more cross-switching than any other club.

Fwiw, any interest from an Adelaide POV?

All ELITE players....jusy sayin' ;)

Depends I guess. If Collingwood have given everyone else a payrise, and told Toovey to suck eggs, you'd be a little miffed
Yep, but don't shoot your client in the foot. Sort things out behind closed doors and don't make Toov look like an ass.

I dont think the Collingwood fans are angry because he wants money. Its fair enough to want more money of you can get it somewhere else but the problem is his manager and him telling us you have to sack a star inorder to keep Toovey and if you dont he will nominate in the pre season draft. Who is he to tell us what we have to do. If he leaves we will have more cap room to give Ben Reid and Pendles next year, so he can leave.

Youre really putting Alan Toovey up against multiple AA winners?

Come on, I dont mind Toovey and I think he suits Collingwoods structures extremely well in their current era, but hes the exact type of player that would most likely fall to pieces if going to another club, where he doesnt have 4 other All Australians surrounding him. Every premiership team or successful era have a few blokes that get carried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back