List Mgmt. Alex Keath 2018 Role

Remove this Banner Ad

Keath is no replacement for Lever.
Totally different player.
Going in with three tall defenders wont work.
One of Hartigan or Keath wont play most weeks, unless Keath can improve his marking ability and learn to rebound.

Yeah he is. Lever plays a floating defender which is the easiest defensive position to get a grasp on. Give Keath a preseason to develop into that role and he'll be able to do it at a decent level too.

Yeah he is. Lever plays a floating defender which is the easiest defensive position to get a grasp on. Give Keath a preseason to develop into that role and he'll be able to do it at a decent level too.
He has nowhere the marking ability of Lever, nor the ability to read the play as he does. In no world is he a replacement for Lever.

Keath is no replacement for Lever.
Totally different player.
Going in with three tall defenders wont work.
One of Hartigan or Keath wont play most weeks, unless Keath can improve his marking ability and learn to rebound.

Having a back six with three tall defenders isn't ridiculous, especially if one has the agility the Keath has... We've got the mid/small defender role covered with our list, so I'm pretty optimistic about our defence even if Leaver leaves...

Keath in 5 games already moves the ball out of the backline in a more attacking fashion than Hartigan who tends to go laterally or even backwards. Has a better kick as well.
If Hartigan is match fit by the finals he will probably get the nod though as he's more experienced in number of games with the current back seven, stronger one on one and just as quick.

1. Yes, he can only get better I think with more experience.
2. Yes but only from the perspective that the game was a bit of free hit on Sydney given our ladder position. It didn't work but good experience for Keath.
On a side note, I like your user name but I'd be wary of posting on the Essendon board. ;)

I can't think of any defender who can beat Buddy in a one on one when their mids can isolate him.

Keath got beaten badly twice but did well for most of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That's a fair minded assessment.

I can't think of any 6 game player that has been handed the assignments Keath has...bet he wishes he could roam around as an intercepting 3rd tall.

I can't think of any 6 game player that has been handed the assignments Keath has...bet he wishes he could roam around as an intercepting 3rd tall.
Good point here. I think that his fisting isn't that great but his kicking is really good. I read somewhere that Gold Coast really wanted him. Well done to the Crows for drafting him in!

Good point here. I think that his fisting isn't that great but his kicking is really good. I read somewhere that Gold Coast really wanted him. Well done to the Crows for drafting him in!

Gold Coast had him as a 17 y.o. before he quit footy to focus on cricket.

Neither can I, Keath is a far more attcking player than Harto which is great , Harto is definetly a genuine stopper which is why he beat Patton, Gray and Dusty this year, I would feel far more conmfortable with harto standing Buddy, Kennedy, Patton, Martin, Gray than keath as you cvant afford those players room or they will cut you up as we saw Buddy do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither can I, Keath is a far more attcking player than Harto which is great , Harto is definetly a genuine stopper which is why he beat Patton, Gray and Dusty this year, I would feel far more conmfortable with harto standing Buddy, Kennedy, Patton, Martin, Gray than keath as you cvant afford those players room or they will cut you up as we saw Buddy do
The unknown is Keath's rate of learning and improvement.

Keath has been described from within the club as an absolute competitive animal...I'm sure he will end up a far superior player to Hartigan both defensively and offensively.

Keath has had a few tough moments within otherwise very good games...same can be said of Talia and Lever recently, and Hartigan earlier in the year (do I need to refer back to the Geelong game?!). ALL defenders have those moments!!

The big question now is for 2017 finals...who is the better choice??? The inexperienced yet highly talented Keath or the guy with runs on the board but coming back from repeat hamstrings and poor form prior to that in Hartigan?

The unknown is Keath's rate of learning and improvement.

Keath has been described from within the club as an absolute competitive animal...I'm sure he will end up a far superior player to Hartigan both defensively and offensively.

Keath has had a few tough moments within otherwise very good games...same can be said of Talia and Lever recently, and Hartigan earlier in the year (do I need to refer back to the Geelong game?!). ALL defenders have those moments!!

The big question now is for 2017 finals...who is the better choice??? The inexperienced yet highly talented Keath or the guy with runs on the board but coming back from repeat hamstrings and poor form prior to that in Hartigan?

Is harto that crap he towelled up Robbie Gray, Dusty Martin and Jonathon Patton this year, not sure if Keath would be capable of doing that

Is harto that crap he towelled up Robbie Gray, Dusty Martin and Jonathon Patton this year, not sure if Keath would be capable of doing that
It's unproven, who knows?

I didn't get to see the Richmond game so I'd be interested to see if anyone else thinks Hartigan 'towelled up' Dusty.

Gray...yes Hartigan was fantastic that day but I think any fair minded supporter would admit Gray was badly hampered by injury. I wouldn't like to test a repeat of the match-up!

Patton...perfect opponent for Hartigan and if we play GWS that may carry a lot of weight. That said I'd prefer Keath v Lobb rather than Lever!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hartigan fan and right now this is a 50:50 call between the two. An in form Hartigan, right now would get the nod no question. 2018 I doubt it but that's not the concern right now (Both will be best 22 next year anyway in the league's best defence!).

It's unproven, who knows?

I didn't get to see the Richmond game so I'd be interested to see if anyone else thinks Hartigan 'towelled up' Dusty.

Gray...yes Hartigan was fantastic that day but I think any fair minded supporter would admit Gray was badly hampered by injury. I wouldn't like to test a repeat of the match-up!

Patton...perfect opponent for Hartigan and if we play GWS that may carry a lot of weight. That said I'd prefer Keath v Lobb rather than Lever!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hartigan fan and right now this is a 50:50 call between the two. An in form Hartigan, right now would get the nod no question. 2018 I doubt it but that's not the concern right now (Both will be best 22 next year anyway in the league's best defence!).

SEN ranking

6 Rich Had the unenviable task of lining up one on one with Martin out of the goal square, despite conceding one goal held his own. 6

Gold Coast had him as a 17 y.o. before he quit footy to focus on cricket.
Gold Coast got him on their list after he quit footy and was playing for Victoria in cricket lol.
They were hoping to convince him to stick to footy if cricket didn't pan out so they risked a list spot on him, he was that good.

Oh so a 6/10 and 'holding his own' is towelling up someone...righto.

In a game we absolutely dominated for 3/4 as well!!

Ive just shown you how he beat Gray, patton and Martin, Martin and patton in particular are important as we probably see 2 of the 3 teams in the top 4, those two players are more than important to their chances and we have a player who has stopped them, Geelong are the other team in which both harto and Keath failed, keeping in mind Keath failed when we actually won the game

Horses for Courses

Ive just shown you how he beat Gray, patton and Martin, Martin and patton in particular are important as we probably see 2 of the 3 teams in the top 4, those two players are more than important to their chances and we have a player who has stopped them, Geelong are the other team in which both harto and Keath failed, keeping in mind Keath failed when we actually won the game

Horses for Courses
Absolutely incorrrect.

I will say this and then wait for the fireworks,
If we play Sydney in the Finals I would prefer, Talia, Keath and Hartigan as our 3 tall defenders. it makes us quicker. and gives us a more flexible back 3 tall unit.
Keath can Play that intercept marking role with pace. and he can also play a shutdown role.
Hartigan has the strength and pace to go with Franklin and failing that we still have Talia and Keath, Lever could not run with Franklin and I doubt he ever will be able to,
Talia, he is the best tall defender in the Crow lineout.

My reason I have not been that impress with Lever one on one ability and unless he is intercepting marks he almost a 4th defender behind Kelly.

If we play Sydney in the Finals I would prefer, Talia, Keath and Hartigan as our 3 tall defenders. it makes us quicker. and gives us a more flexible back 3 tall unit.
Keath can Play that intercept marking role with pace. and he can also play a shutdown role.
Hartigan has the strength and pace to go with Franklin and failing that we still have Talia and Keath, Lever could not run with Franklin and I doubt he ever will be able to,

My reason I have not been that impress with Lever one on one ability and unless he is intercepting marks he almost a 4th defender behind Kelly.
I've had these thoughts but figured some of it was a grudge against Lever on top of the fact he's got major limitations as a defender!

The team I'm most tempted to swing the change for would be GWS given their tall timber.

Realistically, it's not going to happen and the counter argument is that of the 4 players Lever, as it stands, clearly has the runs on the board as a 3rd man in intercepter and rebounder. The more attacking move is to select Lever, hope he pays off with intercepts, while the other talls in Talia and Keath/Hartigan get their job done.

I've had these thoughts but figured some of it was a grudge against Lever on top of the fact he's got major limitations as a defender!

The team I'm most tempted to swing the change for would be GWS given their tall timber.

Realistically, it's not going to happen and the counter argument is that of the 4 players Lever, as it stands, clearly has the runs on the board as a 3rd man in intercepter and rebounder. The more attacking move is to select Lever, hope he pays off with intercepts, while the other talls in Talia and Keath/Hartigan get their job done.
Good point about GWS, But what I like about Keath is he can play that intercept making role and has pace, and to me is one of the most attacking tall defenders we have seen in crows colours for a long time. But he can also defend one on one better. add his height and speed.
What I like about Hartigan is he adds toughness and maybe because of his background does not give up.
But Yes Lever has the runs on the board. but if he is not staying then Keath, Hartigan and Talia play all day every day.

I'm not sure I'd have the balls to make the change, but there's certainly validity to your thoughts. Sydney we're able to expose Lever as 3rd tall as his strength is intercept, not 1 on 1 defending. Both Reid and Tippett are amongst the best contested markers in the game and Franklin is no mug, they're all also 196cm and above. Now you're not putting Lever on Franklin which leaves Lever undersized and outmatched against wither Tippett or Reid. The good thing is most of the ball gets funneled through Franklin anyway, but if Sydney suddenly smarten up and start isolating/targeting the Lever match up, we could be in trouble.

Taking Lever out certainly strengthens our ability to s**t down Sydneys talls, however you lost his intercept and 3rd man up ability, which provides support to Talia and Hartigan/Keath. We also lose some level of offensive drive as Keath, at present, is a long way off Lever(I think he will catch up to an extent though).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back