All-Australian team (Franklin, Kennedy, Smith, Malceski in)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely stoked for Smith. Players of his ilk don't often get all AUS guernseys and thus it is a fantastic achievement. Great player and seems like a good bloke too from my limited meetings.

He's the kind of player that gets rewarded for multiple years of high calibre performance. Despite what the media and selectors say (that they don't select on reputation), he was so invisible to the wider AFL community between 2010 and 2012 that he didn't have a chance despite being one of the best small defenders in the comp even then - culminating in taking the mantle as best small defender IMO towards the end of 2012.

I highly doubt he'll make the 22 - the selectors can only make one step at a time - but he should be there and deserves to.

Great recruiting and more importantly development of these players by the Sydney Swans:

Luke Parker - pick 40
Nick Malceski - pick 63
Nick Smith - rookie list
Josh Kennedy - traded for picks 39 and 46
Lance Franklin - $10 million

Great recruiting and more importantly development of these players by the Sydney Swans:

Luke Parker - pick 40
Nick Malceski - pick 63
Nick Smith - rookie list
Josh Kennedy - traded for picks 39 and 46
Lance Franklin - $10 million

That lance franklin fellow was a real diamond in the rough, came out of no where

I think all 5 should make the final 22 if they were keeping the team true to position. N.Smith should make back pocket and Parker on the bench. They're the 2 that could go either way. Franklin, Kennedy and Malceski should be 100% locks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt like Talia deserved a spot. He played really well all year (from what I saw) and rarely got a bag kicked on him

dont piss on my moaning geez!!

:D

Eddie Betts? Okay.

He has kicked a lot of goals, I guess. But seeing him as an AA just doesn't seem right somehow even when he's earned it. :p

On the contrary, it provides them greater sponsorship opportunities which means they have to rely less on football contracts, thereby providing salary cap relief.

some players have AA clauses in salary though.

The player might not consider a lower contract just because he suddenly gets some coin from say Nike

some players have AA clauses in salary though.

The player might not consider a lower contract just because he suddenly gets some coin from say Nike

Yeah, true. But I'd like to think, when it comes to salary negotiations, coaches and managers around the country realise that being named AA doesn't retrospectively make their season better. If I was a coach and a player said "I just got named AA, I want more money", I'd tell them "we know how good you are, we knew that before the panel named you in the team, this is how much you're worth to us and that hasn't changed".

Edit: that's not to say that a good year won't change a player's worth. Just that whether that good year is officially recognised or not shouldn't.

Yeah, true. But I'd like to think, when it comes to salary negotiations, coaches and managers around the country realise that being named AA doesn't retrospectively make their season better. If I was a coach and a player said "I just got named AA, I want more money", I'd tell them "we know how good you are, we knew that before the panel named you in the team, this is how much you're worth to us and that hasn't changed".

Edit: that's not to say that a good year won't change a player's worth. Just that whether that good year is officially recognised or not shouldn't.

Id just explain hey we gotta pay Buddy and Tippett now get off your knees and get out of my office.

Missing the AA squad doesn't make you a crab, mate

I just joined to like this comment. Absolutely loved macca's courageous effort backing into the pack and getting crunched by pavlich, then getting to the next contest.. that was extremely gutsy from him... The haters wouldn't even acknowledge this, or just how important jetta's game was on saturday.. yep i have viewed these threads for years, but will be shot down because i'm not a veteran keyboard warrior..

GO BLOODS;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back