Analysis All things leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is with Shiels that the minute that talks start on who gets dropped to make way for player x, there are those who automatically throw his name in the mix. No ******* clue of course, but it gets done, so you can imagine the reaction if he got captain.

The captaincy is largely irrelevant at hawthorn. The team captains itself.
Whilst Strats hands maybe on the wheel it appears that he is not steering the ship or at least not in the right direction like a true skipper would.
I ponder if we now have a leadership vacuum and if so is it contributing to our poor on field performances?
Oh and Hodgey says Hi btw 😉

We used to have the best leaders in the league. Now we have the worst. It's crazy how quickly it bottomed out.
Is there any evidence that leadership is the issue? I understand Stratton's value as a player is declining, and would accept the premise that we may actually be a better if he was replaced by Impey/Scrimshaw in the current side, but what evidence do we have that his leadership is poor?

We are still considered one of the more organised/disciplined teams in the league, particularly defensively, and our issues seem to be more about ball movement, and potentially straight out talent. We were obviously blessed with one of the most visibly great captains in Hodge, who's voice, organisation and courage we're second to none - but he also had an unbelievably talented team around him. I've never found Strats to be wanting for courage, have observed him positioning teammates in the same way Hodge etc used to and he is clearly respected by his teamates.

I think we have some major issues with the level of talent and belief on our list, but I haven't seen any evidence that leadership is the problem - perhaps others are closer t oo the team and can shed some light on whether this is a genuine area of concern.

Would be good for Stratton to come out and do some media......even something on the Club's website!!!!

Has he done any this year? Didn't even go to the AFL Captain's Day at the start of the season.
Perhaps a condition of him accepting it another year was that he wanted to step away from media. Never been his thing to be fair.

Look times change, and we've on the on field leadership gone from the best to below average at best.

Our best leader on field is actually Isaac by a long, long way. It's not even close.

Who are the others, Bruest is not really a leader (bloody good player) but he does explain how the forward line should be set up to others so he is doing a role. Gunston used to be but since stepping away is much more quiet.

But I just named 3 blokes and if you put them in a dark alley with Hodge who you backing. Yes they still are (Isaac) or were doing the right things they are not overpowering individuals in that sense that bring guys up with them to fight into battle. I have seen Jaeger do it occasionally, even Mitchell and Shiels but when they struggle they go more into self preservation mode, it's not good as a leader to save yourself you need to sink with the ship and save everyone else. TBH our midfield doesn't have a leader unless we are doing well this year.

I do agree with the Day comment there was an instance with Day saying to a teammate Sunday night, I have to run forward where was my help and he basically said don't give me they were doing something else crap? And that is a good sign, there is a little bit of the silent Birchall leadership in Scrimshaw too. In the ppl don't talk about it because it's not body gesturing etc, but opposition players would always say Birch is the most brutal on his teammates.

Look we are a team at the crossroads. This is not unexpected we'd be at this stage at some stage.

Let us set ourselves up for the future and let blokes work out where they sit. Yes Isaac is old but he's still fast and playing good footy for me he gets the job atm if Stratts goes. The main reason is he never goes into self preservation if things are going bad he still tries to encourage others to step forward and that is leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any evidence that leadership is the issue? ................
but what evidence do we have that his leadership is poor?
Last minute of the 3rd quarter, with 51 seconds to play and then with 3 seconds left. The only defence I can have for him would be that if he was still suffering from the knock that he received earlier in the game.
If so, then he should be out of the side next week anyway. If he wasn't injured then his leadership would be hard to follow.

Last minute of the 3rd quarter, with 51 seconds to play and then with 3 seconds left. The only defence I can have for him would be that if he was still suffering from the knock that he received earlier in the game.
If so, then he should be out of the side next week anyway. If he wasn't injured then his leadership would be hard to follow.
I won't defend his form in any way, or those pieces of play. And I actually think that Stratton being out of the team, hopefully to be replaced by someone with elite speed (Impey), or ball use (Day/Scrimshaw) will give us a much better chance of coping with today's elite pressure game.

I just don't know that leadership is the issue. Over the journey Stratton has been unbelievably brave and selfless and in Burgoyne, Shiels, Gunston, McEvoy etc. we still have some incredibly experienced players who have played an excellent brand of courageous team football. The problem seems to be more that we don't have the talent/game plan to cope with the pressure teams are putting on us to be able to move the ball effectively.

Maybe I'm wrong and there are some major internal issues with leadership, but it doesn't seem the biggest issue to me as an outsider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back