News All things Tasmania Footy Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate waiting. Why can't they just have my money now? Lol
lol I am confident by the time their first game comes around. Will have more members than some other clubs. Interesting to see what memberships they make available.

Grant O’Brien on SEN Tassie Breakfast 3/11

Worth a listen as always (he is a good operator)… provides an update on various topics

Looks like March is the time for big reveal for club name and jumper design.
Happy Shaquille O Neal GIF by Papa Johns

In case anyone missed the new survey. Just asks for colours, team name and very general stuff. Still, get on and have a say

I got mine.

Speaking of believe tasmania, has anyone ordered the merch packs yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see if any of the highly rated Tassie boys will be lured back in 5 years time

I know Mckercher is only 18 and there's a lot that can happen between now and 2028 but based on an interview I watched during season and his post draft interview, right at this moment, he has no intention of coming back to Tassie to play.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know Mckercher is only 18 and there's a lot that can happen between now and 2028 but based on an interview I watched during season and his post draft interview, right at this moment, he has no intention of coming back to Tassie to play.

Unfortunately, I agree with you most will likely stay with their current clubs. A lot will depend on how truly competitive the teams the Tassie players are drafted to towards the back end of 2027.

I noticed Arie in a couple of his radio interviews say how exciting it will be to play for the Tassie side and then catches himself to realign to commit to being a loyal one-club player 😆

We’ll get a better idea when we know what concessions we’ll actually be given re: draft positions, total squad numbers, ability to poach players, salary cap allowances etc. Don’t underestimate the pull of being a “marquee” player for a new club. Also, I’m not slagging on where the Tassie boys were drafted to as I’m a Saint but North (Mckercher), Dogs (Sanders), GWS (Leake) & Saints (Arie) aren’t from the financially rich clubs of the AFL and less opportunity for third party/external business deals

How much do you think the footy media landscape is going to change in Tassie. The amount of jobs and money the new team will generate as far as journos, footy reporters, talk back, newspaper coverage is going to be crazy.

Yeah, but I can understand that. He just got drafted, it's all new and exciting.

He's not going to say, hey when Tassie come in I want to trade to them.

But the good news is not every kid who gets drafted wants to live in Melbourne and Sydney. There will definitely be kids who find Tassie an attractive option.

Yeah, but I can understand that. He just got drafted, it's all new and exciting.

He's not going to say, hey when Tassie come in I want to trade to them.

But the good news is not every kid who gets drafted wants to live in Melbourne and Sydney. There will definitely be kids who find Tassie an attractive option.
To get drafted is a huge deal for the young players. The majority have to go to Melbourne or Sydney, for obvious reasons. Its tough to relocate. I hope they all make the best of their opportunity.
As far as our Devils team goes, as long as the facilities are built to spec, & the culture is strong & solid. A Tassie team based in Hobart will be attractive for a lot of kids & established players alike.
As it is developed & the closer we get to the stadium & the club being set up, the excitement & attraction will build.
Who knows who will or won't come back. We cant fixate about that. Its about the club culture, engagement in the Tasmanian community & the quality of the facilities.
The rest will follow.

It depends on so many factors.

Matty Wade come back for family. Where Taran Armstrong(the NBL Basketballer from Tassie) rejected the JJ's for Cairns after coming back from the states.

Similar to how so many young Tasmanian's move to the mainland in their early 20's. Some will move back, others will never come back.

Callinan not getting drafted surprised the hell out of me. Ngl
I thought he was only a small chance to be drafted late or rookie. I was confident at the start of the year, but to me he didn't really stand out this year and you need to be an unbelievable player to get drafted as a small forward if you arent real quick now. That Jack Delean guy looks a better player for the same position and he was one of the last drafted. Hopefully Jack and Geordie Payne can train with some clubs over the off season and get a another chance but I think Callinan will need to prove himself at a higher level as a mature age if he is to get into the AFL.

Last edited:
To get drafted is a huge deal for the young players. The majority have to go to Melbourne or Sydney, for obvious reasons. Its tough to relocate. I hope they all make the best of their opportunity.
As far as our Devils team goes, as long as the facilities are built to spec, & the culture is strong & solid. A Tassie team based in Hobart will be attractive for a lot of kids & established players alike.
As it is developed & the closer we get to the stadium & the club being set up, the excitement & attraction will build.
Who knows who will or won't come back. We cant fixate about that. Its about the club culture, engagement in the Tasmanian community & the quality of the facilities.
The rest will follow.
I honestly don't see the government proposal for a stadium passing the POSS vote in 2025 so facilities are going to be an issue. Very few people now believe a stadium can be kept under $1 billion with the way construction costs are skyrocketing, so Im really starting to think our only chance of a stadium is the stadium 02 proposal.

I honestly don't see the government proposal for a stadium passing the POSS vote in 2025 so facilities are going to be an issue. Very few people now believe a stadium can be kept under $1 billion with the way construction costs are skyrocketing, so Im really starting to think our only chance of a stadium is the stadium 02 proposal.

It certainly puts pressure on everything. The regatta point public/private proposal is still in the mix. It looks amazing as a proposal, but we don't know enough financial detail as yet.
The thing to remember is that they have to do something with that inner city site. Whatever they do, it will cost $$$$$.
The stadium does at least guarantee some 200 AFL related jobs. Stadium building jobs & staffing jobs, other sports, other events & all the tourism which goes with it. That all benefits the economy.
So its about costs, benefits & opportunities etc.
The Noers will focus on being negative, we will focus on the social/economic benefits.
So we wait. ;)
At least the foundations of the club are well under way. We'll have a name, colours, memberships in coming months.
Keep annoying the politicians. Its about showing them we have over 92,000 believers & near 23,000 on the FB site. Its a big movement even before we have a stadium. So they need not to FKITUP, or their will be serious political repercussions.

It certainly puts pressure on everything. The regatta point public/private proposal is still in the mix. It looks amazing as a proposal, but we don't know enough financial detail as yet.
The thing to remember is that they have to do something with that inner city site. Whatever they do, it will cost $$$$$.
The stadium does at least guarantee some 200 AFL related jobs. Stadium building jobs & staffing jobs, other sports, other events & all the tourism which goes with it. That all benefits the economy.
So its about costs, benefits & opportunities etc.
The Noers will focus on being negative, we will focus on the social/economic benefits.
So we wait. ;)
At least the foundations of the club are well under way. We'll have a name, colours, memberships in coming months.
Keep annoying the politicians. Its about showing them we have over 92,000 believers & near 23,000 on the FB site. Its a big movement even before we have a stadium. So they need not to FKITUP, or their will be serious political repercussions.
We have to remember the believers were for a team not stadium. I believe a lot more people are against than what some of us supporters realise and I think it's going to be very hard to get through the POSS. I think we have to be realistical and understand this stadium is fast looking like it will be a Billion dollars minimum,I fully support a stadium but no way will it pass POSS if it's a bad deal for Tasmania.

We have to remember the believers were for a team not stadium. I believe a lot more people are against than what some of us supporters realise and I think it's going to be very hard to get through the POSS. I think we have to be realistical and understand this stadium is fast looking like it will be a Billion dollars minimum,I fully support a stadium but no way will it pass POSS if it's a bad deal for Tasmania.

Do you see it as a bad deal? What else would they do with the area? What would that cost? Cost being both short term, long term, economic, social & any opportunity costs.
We wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

News All things Tasmania Footy Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back