News Andrew McKay to leave Carlton at seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

I know McKay has his detractors here, and I've been among them with certain things, but as with most off-field positions, I find it very hard to gauge or to judge performance of those in these roles.

We typically only have the public-facing aspects of the role on which to base our judgement, and in McKay's case, the public/media stuff was, I feel, never really his go - and just an obligation he needed to perform, rather than one he relished. This perhaps came across at times, and helped to form and shape the public view of him in this job, for better or worse.

It's really when the chips are down that you get the best insight into the character of people, and I don't think we could ever question McKay's commitment to doing what was best for the footy club, throughout some trying and difficult low-points in the club's recent history.

I'm grateful that he stuck around and provided some stability at a time when we most needed it, and has, I assume, played a key role in implementing the full-club 'reset' - with which I'm still confident that the club is on the right track.

Thanks, Macca - and all the best.

Agree.

Sat next to him at a Carltonians function and couldn't have wished for better company.

I asked him a gazillion "why" questions about what the club had done and why.

He took the time to answer all my questions - didn't duck any.

Sensational footballer, great club man and ripper of a bloke - wish him all the best.

I'm actually only excited by this if the club has done DD and has circled people that will give an upward trend. Also I want a proper PD written tied in with set KPI's for monitoring … this position seems a bit wishy washy …. need to lock it down for performance gains (metrics) to be delivered.

BTW Andy Mac you were beautiful to watch …. just unsure what to make of your FM role at CFC.....

Well, I think the suspended fine for putting a concussed player back on the field was the straw that broke the camels back.

Never forget a mates call extremely early in Maccas career where he left his man against Fitzroy got the bounce from hell I think into Dunstans hands 20 metres behind to win the game.

Mate said he’d be a gun, he was!!

One thing that I’ve thought about in the last two weeks after we’ve turned in some fairly dire performances is that it can’t be underestimated how important it is we replace Andy McKay with the right person.

I’ve supported Bolts his year recognising he hasn’t had the easiest time of it with injuries and a young inexperienced list etc. But I think it’s becoming increasingly clear there needs to be the right support around him to make we’re getting the best out of our coaches who in turn can get the best out of the players.

As an outsider it’s pretty hard to guess what goes on inside a footy club and judge the mood of the place, who does what, and who is well regarded. As a supporter you can really only go by what you see on game day and clearly on our performances have been pretty ordinary. Maybe it’s time for a review Collingwood style where we have a close look at the way we are doing things and see if there are some ways to improve or do things better. Cause I think at this stage we need to change some things up and try to reinvigorate the playing group.

I loved him as a player.....thought he was ok as admin guy...
So much so......I believe because of him we will not lose more than 6 games for the rest of the season!

Bookmark it!

Writing was probably on the wall for Andy when Liddle asked the AFL for some data about Carlton in comparison with other teams. Found that we were one of the lower spenders in the footy department. They immediately added more development coaches.

Seems we have been building a practice of employing people after thorough assessments of contenders for the roles. Reckon we'll do the same here.

Best available for the job please. Including an ability to drive and support excellence in the footy department - development, coaching, injury management, fitness etc. Not sure that'd be Allan, he seems more suited to SOS's list management zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back