Autopsy 2023 Preliminary Final Blues brave season comes to an end

Who played well for Carlton in the Preliminary Final vs Brisbane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For a list built for 8 years in its premiership window the only pass mark is a flag.

Cripps is 29 before next season and his best footy is probably behind him. Doc 30 in a few weeks. Curnow 27 before next season. How can anyone be satisfied coming up empty handed when the core group is about to begin a decline in the careers? The coach and fans are just in a feel good daze for no reason. They have won nothing. Last year and this year were 2 big chances for a flag and they have not even come close in the end. The worst thing is there just wasn’t the desperation to make it count. Probably 2 more chances at it with what looks like being stuck with voss for this crucial period of time.
Cripps had little midfield influence after the melbourne home and away game. Curnow was sub par and we still won 2 finals. You are right that the age of our list requires us to unearth 10 good players in the next 2 to 3 years but Cook is aware of that and it is what we pay Austin for. There is a 3 to 4 year window before you need to really worry.

Last edited:
Having a look at the stats for the first time it seems Boyd and Marchbank did well contrary to what I thought watching live.

The fumbles from Boyd must have solely been early in the first qtr and stuck with me throughout. Similarly with Marchbank he had the only 1v1 loss for our team so a moment or 2 must be clouding the overall as well. Boyds kicking efficiency has surprised me as I certainly remember 1 or 2 kicks that were poor. But again it must be legitimately 1 or 2 (11 effective kicks, 13 overall) that have stuck with me clouding the overall.

8 clangers from Walsh certainly wasn't something I noticed, oof.
Boyd and Marchbank were both very good i thought

Can't be too upset with that. Fell 3 goals short of playing in the last game of the year.
First quarter was great, then our pressure just fell off a cliff. I wasn't expecting to get within 5-6 goals of the Lions up there, so the final margin was above expectations. We were running on empty for the past 4-6 weeks and just ran out of petrol before the finish line.
Hopefully the players use this as motivation for next year. Now that they've seen what they're capable of, they can aim for a top 4 spot and try to earn a home prelim.

Onwards and upwards.

I've seen the "pressure rating" stats - think it was 201 then low 160's for the last 3 qtrs. Would love to know how much of that was us "running out of juice" and how much was the fact Brisbane slowed the play down and began controlling the footy, taking what we gave them especially in the 2nd which was the short kick/marks - which they did brilliantly. They stayed composed & controlled the footy then brought the game back on their terms.

At the ground was obviously different by the sounds of things which is fine, hence why I prefaced it with that and said I haven't seen the telly. Clearly some have come up very different

I saw Marchbank get turned around several times, and particularly in the first qtr Boyd had a couple of crucial fumbles and unclean moments.
Go watch the replay Coops. I was at the ground and did not see it the way you did. Boyd was one of our best, along with Marchy. The back 6 were on the back foot after the first quarter. The issues were starting up the ground, and not down to individuals. The whole team could not counter a better drilled, less banged up, home team. Got to give some credit to Brisbane.

I've seen the "pressure rating" stats - think it was 201 then low 160's for the last 3 qtrs. Would love to know how much of that was us "running out of juice" and how much was the fact Brisbane slowed the play down and began controlling the footy, taking what we gave them especially in the 2nd which was the short kick/marks - which they did brilliantly. They stayed composed & controlled the footy then brought the game back on their terms.
They also started to get on top of the midfield battle in the 2nd quarter.

Go watch the replay Coops. I was at the ground and did not see it the way you did. Boyd was one of our best, along with Marchy. The back 6 were on the back foot after the first quarter. The issues were starting up the ground, and not down to individuals. The whole team could not counter a better drilled, less banged up, home team. Got to give some credit to Brisbane.
I've accepted I was wrong, dw
:toppa:

Geez, to think we could’ve been a part of grand final week…

I have no doubt we’d be much more confident beating Collingwood at the ‘G than Brissy up there but wasn’t meant to be.

The good thing is we don’t need a complete overhaul of the club. So many seasons have ended with sack the coach, a mass list turnover, new leadership group, board level changes… so glad we are past that. We tried to rebuild and failed so many times in 20 odd years it’s been exhausting.

Just need to build on what we got. Premiership windows don’t come around often, hopefully we can go top 4 and the flag next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have no doubt we’d be much more confident beating Collingwood at the ‘G than Brissy up there but wasn’t meant to be.

The good thing is we don’t need a complete overhaul of the club. So many seasons have ended with sack the coach, a mass list turnover, new leadership group, board level changes… so glad we are past that. We tried to rebuild and failed so many times in 20 odd years it’s been exhausting.

Just need to build on what we got. Premiership windows don’t come around often, hopefully we can go top 4 and the flag next year.

Top 2 would be a hell of a lot easier though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As upsetting as it was to not win, we left nothing in the tank. Our first qtr blitz was as good as any football we played this year. If it wasn't for Andrews going full SOS rolled into Doull, we could have possibly put the game beyond Brisbane's reach.

I think the club knew they had one shot which was to blow them out of the water early. No doubt, there wasn't much left in the tank, we were exhausted after 50 elimination finals in a row and banged up.

Cannot be critical of the club's performance at all. Individuals yes, like Curnow, but to have a crack at the coaches is ridiculous. Brisbane were undefeated all year up there. We just ran out of legs

Voss has had this group ( bar the latest arrivals) for 2 years.

In that time we’ve moved from 13th finish to 3rd.

The group is gaining synergy playing with each other & we’ve reached a new understanding of the depth of our list & importantly further developed our game plan.

I want to see the team learn to better balance their inside clearance game with D50 transition & scoring.

This (along with natural player DV, maybe adding a crafty HFF) is key to us finishing the H&A in top 4 next year.

We showed the ability to run & gun against lower teams - we got caught out against the top 4 teams turning the ball over under immense pressure - still managing to win two of three finals!

I’m sure the coaches and team alike know what they need to do to get there.

What better way to learn than play three experienced finals teams like Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane)?

This has been a huge year for the teams belief.

Great times ahead for the bags.

funny feeling after the game. Normally I am a bit narky or flat, but didn't really feel a lot of anything. Maybe just that we were pretty comprehensively outplayed, and not in the game for such a large part of it.

Got smacked in the midfield and that's about the end of it.

Even in the first when we had repeat entries, they were long bombs hoping for a miracle. No crumbers anywhere, so they just kept repelling.

Who wouldve thought before the game we would get cut up by Coleman & McKenna?

Walsh got a lot of the ball, made a lot of contests but a lot of Bryce Gibbs in his kicking.
Hewett the only mid I thought did their job. Kept Neale pretty quiet until late.
First time i recall ever seeing Cripps attempt to avoid contact. And not only once. Hopefully those ribs get a good rest.
Thought McGovern, Boyd and Marchbank were solid. Didnt rate Weitering's game....Harris Andrew's kept them in it early and then just dominated.
Hard to be too critical, effort was there.
Good to see Mckay actually one grab marks....it has been a long, long time.....

What a topsy turvy year.

Last edited:
As upsetting as it was to not win, we left nothing in the tank. Our first qtr blitz was as good as any football we played this year. If it wasn't for Andrews going full SOS rolled into Doull, we could have possibly put the game beyond Brisbane's reach.

I think the club knew they had one shot which was to blow them out of the water early. No doubt, there wasn't much left in the tank, we were exhausted after 50 elimination finals in a row and banged up.

Cannot be critical of the club's performance at all. Individuals yes, like Curnow, but to have a crack at the coaches is ridiculous. Brisbane were undefeated all year up there. We just ran out of legs
Great job by the players & coaching staff to get to the preliminary final, however l think it was pretty much more that Brisbane got the game on their terms in the 2nd & 3rd quarters taking it out of our F50 easily & allowing them more free flowing footy, rather than us being flat, the last quarter we got the game more back on our terms and one further goal may have made a difference.

We just need a few more pieces from a list perspective to go further, quality medium forward would be number 1 priority & little more speed can take us further in 24.

funny feeling after the game. Normally I am a bit narky or flat, but didn't really feel a lot of anything. Maybe just that we were pretty comprehensively outplayed, and not in the game for such a large part of it.

Got smacked in the midfield and that's about the end of it.

Even in the first when we had repeat entries, they were long bombs hoping for a miracle. No crumbers anywhere, so they just kept repelling.

Who wouldve thought before the game we would get cut up by Coleman & McKenna?

Walsh got a lot of the ball, made a lot of contests but a lot of Bryce Gibbs in his kicking.
Hewett the only mid I thought did their job. Kept Neale pretty quiet until late.
First time i recall ever seeing Cripps squib contact. And not only once. Hopefully those ribs get a good rest.
Thought McGovern, Boyd and Marchbank were solid. Didnt rate Weitering's game....Harris Andrew's kept them in it early and then just dominated.
Hard to be too critical, effort was there.
Good to see Mckay actually one grab marks....it has been a long, long time.....

What a topsy turvy year.
agree

pisspoor comment

Take out Cripps 3rd quarter bounce brain fade and making the most of our first quarter chances by kicking 7-8. Thing may be different. For a tired team we came so so close…that’s where the ache lies as a supporter and most likely with the players at present to a degree.

Take it.. don’t worry that all that effort amounted to a prelim.. get better and aim for consistency in 24 and hopefully top 4

Back