Autopsy 2023 Elimination Final Blues hold on in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination Final vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He backed off their forwards on a long lead out of 50.

Rather than be out of position for the next inside 50 kick.

Pretty smart actually.
100% it was tactical & a pregame instruction. Can’t remember 1 instance where they had 2 players raffling off a shot uncontested in the square - part of that was also Cotts, Acres, Walsh working back as well.
Weiters held shape & didn’t get sucked up. Hamill devised a rather cunning plan & it worked perfectly

It was certainly not a textbook impressive win. To be 30+ points up and scrape home is not a complete performance. But I think at this time of year you dispense with the analytics. The only objective is to have your nose in front at the end no matter how you do it.
I think this team has also been weighed down in the past by expectation. Our form reversal mid season only came after all expectation had been removed. Favouritism against the swans was a psychological barrier that was good to overcome. With that finals win, in many respects the season has now already been a success. We will be underdogs from here on, which means lower expectations. We become the hunter. I think it will suit us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This game was a massive step towards growing belief, again.

It wasn’t perfect by any means.

Take the good, learn from the rest & get better.

100% it was tactical & a pregame instruction. Can’t remember 1 instance where they had 2 players raffling off a shot uncontested in the square - part of that was also Cotts, Acres, Walsh working back as well.
Weiters held shape & didn’t get sucked up. Hamill devised a rather cunning plan & it worked perfectly
Can’t wait to see how we line up this week.

Hope we go small and super fast.

This game was a massive step towards growing belief, again.

It wasn’t perfect by any means.

Take the good, learn from the rest & get better.
Having the exact same thoughts from watching the replay again about belief.
Sydney tried their best at that small ground game on a big ground that they do.
We had not much space to play our best style but found enough of it to win.

Ironically in the end we beat them at their own game.
Great coaching.

Can’t wait to see how we line up this week.

Hope we go small and super fast.
Me too, would love to see Dow back in & smash them thru clearance & out side run.
We get 6 goals from the midfield & the entire competition will s**t itself knowing that we are coming.
I want to blow teams off the park & score heavily quickly, we will have to do that to beat Brisbane & Melbournes the perfect opportunity to do that given they have a weakened mid field & forward line.
Melbourne will look to grind as their forward line is shot - doubt they can score 10+ goals.
We blitz hard early, it’s not unrealistic to have 10 goals on the board by half time

Watching the game back again, I feel I was a bit too harsh on Harry. His first half was fairly decent (until he got injured) and he did take a few grabs while competing. I also don’t think some of the delivery being bombed in on top of his head helped tbh.

The misses from point blank go without saying but had a little better game than on first viewing.
I just think he needs to be used differently, he us obviously having the yips with his kicking, keep him further up the ground, his kick for goal should be around the 50 arc.

I finished watching the replay last night and one thing that stood out for me, is our recruiting department has absolutely nailed it. George, Acres, Cerra are high footy IQ, hard working footballers. Their ability to be in the right place right time and make the right decision in pressure situations was really on display.
And we picked up two of them for the price of some vinegar soaked soggy chips that a seagull wouldn’t go for.

He and Cez better for the run.

Have a feeling our mids will tear Melb a newy.
much, much better for the run.

We had neither last time we met and they're also minus Brayshaw (hope the bloke's recovering ok).

We bat much deeper in the midfield though Gawn's very obviously their key....

Sounds like he might be a bit beaten up?

I’ve been to many a GF and many a big game but the roar when Crippa goaled and the one here at the final siren was something beyond insane … unbelievable

I am so glad that bestie and I were there. Will never forget this. I think we are a genuine chance against Melbourne too.😍

I watched it again last night and that was a real team effort. No.missing pieces. Harry was excellent and contributes so much more than goals. I think him up the ground is the best position for him. His marking strength is beautiful. Super impressed with Doc, Weitering, Acres, Cottrell, Cerra, Walsh, TDK, Marchbank. Yes there were skill errors but that was because of the pressure Sydney brought. They missed so many seemingly easy shots on goal due to our collective defensive effort. That was such a ballsy win. Yes there are things to work on but I am super impressed and proud of all players, coaches and supporters. I really hope SoS can play next week. I trust this mob to leave nothing behind this Friday night. Wish I could be there but it looks like the SA Supporters Group (sponsors of Ollie Hollands) will be doing a pub watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a Facebook disagreement early last week re Fremantle's decision to trade Blake Acres.
I said the decision was madness.
Freo fans LOL'd ans said he wasn't AFL standard.
I revisted the post and posted a link of Acres' sealer.
What can I say? I'm a Virgo, I win!
Suck sh1t Freo! Hahaha
Cerra 's name didn't come up? :D

Late I know but the atmosphere was something else under the Shane Warne stand on level 1. And we were going back and fourth with the swans fans above us on level 2 it was mental. Cottrell is the right place at the right time man. Credit to the swans they are a battle hardened side who have some phenomenal ball users, and their transition game probably got on top after half time. I just didn’t like the reception around Harry at the game. I can understand criticism but where I was he was essentially getting ridiculed by our fans which I didn’t like. And this was before he missed that sitter also.

That was so well written......
It almost bought a tear to my eyes.
people who "don't read newspapers" miss this sort of quality stuff (along with the dreck).........

24cd44f9238a6e4901f54d7b4170c8a7.jpg

9a18554108d47a952e43e90fbe4822bf.jpg

That photo is amazing, it looks photo shopped but it's not.

Nah, I've been to the Sistine Chapel. It's real...

:p

I had a Facebook disagreement early last week re Fremantle's decision to trade Blake Acres.
I said the decision was madness.
Freo fans LOL'd ans said he wasn't AFL standard.
I revisted the post and posted a link of Acres' sealer.
What can I say? I'm a Virgo, I win!
Suck sh1t Freo! Hahaha

Fremantle have this habit of trading away/losing barely AFL standard players and somehow sliding down the ladder the following year. I can explain it…

Fremantle have this habit of trading away/losing barely AFL standard players and somehow sliding down the ladder the following year. I can explain it…
They probably regret Andrew McLeod slipping through their fingers.....

They probably regret Andrew McLeod slipping through their fingers.....

I once had Fremantle supporters arguing with me that they didn’t make a mistake doing the trade that netted Hawthorn Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell, because Fremantle ended up with Luke McPharlin. He played a lot of games, you know… 😂

The pain didn’t stop there. Trent Croad was part of the same trade, he played 38 games for Fremantle, before being traded back to Hawthorn for Pick 10, used on a player who played 8 games. Trent Croad played 100 games in his second Hawthorn stint, became an AA and won a flag. 🤦‍♂️

Back