Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We were very lucky in that last 2 minutes. Set up poorly and some horrid decision making. Certainly didn't look like a side that was prepared for it well enough.
Not sure about that. Intensity, weather, fatigue. Sometimes grit has to get it done. When it got into contests, we held it in, wrapped out back and found an outlet on at least 2 occasions. Dry day and Charlie is down the line as that outlet. He was there on as least one of those occasions but slipped.
Bigs were back contesting and at least one player was back sweeping on the line on both occasions it was dangerous: Acres and Marchbank.
It looked like a typically tight finals style game to me. We care clearly drilling situations and will be better for winning a tight one.

Not sure about that. Intensity, weather, fatigue. Sometimes grit has to get it done. When it got into contests, we held it in, wrapped out back and found an outlet on at least 2 occasions. Dry day and Charlie is down the line as that outlet. He was there on as least one of those occasions but slipped.
Bigs were back contesting and at least one player was back sweeping on the line on both occasions it was dangerous: Acres and Marchbank.
It looked like a typically tight finals style game to me. We care clearly drilling situations and will be better for winning a tight one.
? We cleared it twice into the corridor- once to one of there better kicks who somehow- with all the time in the world didn’t kick a goal (9/10 times Salem slots that)
It was not a good passage of play or set up. Nothing wrong about having areas to improve on

We were very lucky in that last 2 minutes. Set up poorly and some horrid decision making. Certainly didn't look like a side that was prepared for it well enough.
I'm happy to concede that we were lucky. I think in any win by under a goal there is some luck that has gone your way.

We did a lot right in those last few minutes. We were desperate and we had numbers where we needed them. We also did a few things wrong. But we escaped with the points and no doubt there were plenty of lessons learned.

If you can watch the vision of this play again, TDK sprints 20m to get to that contest
If you can, throw your mind back to the Melbourne game last year.

It's the third term, and Melbourne have just kicked a few goals in a row via easy centre clearances. It's a 6-6-6 situation'; Gawn to Oliver or Viney or Petracca, their setup getting well on top, and the floodgates threatening to open. In this moment, you can quite clearly see the change in focus from before this point to after it; Pittonett into TDK in the middle of the ground, but Gawn had beaten him twice easy.

TDK's eyes aren't where they were in the previous few contests. He's stiller, more deliberate. He's watching Gawn, and the ball, and the umpires, and the midfield layout like a general over a map. He's suddenly every inch of his frame; he's not the coltish thing he can resemble sometimes.

He doesn't just leap over Gawn in the next contest; nah, that'd do what he did a disservice. He leapt into Gawn, smashing into him a full foot and a half higher than Gawn could leap. He doesn't just get to the ball, he gets his whole palm to the thing, and that tap descends gently straight into a moving Kennedy...

... only for a non-controlling up to ping Kennedy for dropping the ball the next second.

You could see on his face the moment he took the onus onto himself; this is my task, my duty. This is what I do for the team. And then in that next instant you saw the rank injustice of it strike him physically; his shoulders didn't so much slump but that set to his jaw and his form left him, the spirit gone.

Sure, he competed for the next few clearances, but he wasn't up to the fight as intensely as he was before.

I think he'd remember that moment, because as part of his build this year he's found that intensity more often and for longer within games. He'd relish beating Melbourne a bit more, but then I don't think he'd be unique in that amongst our boys.

Finished the replay...again
It wasn't luck that got us there I feel. it was desperation and none more than TDK's punch from a huge pack with seconds to go.
He was so close to taking 20 marks on the night. Tom has arrived.
Loving Owies more each week.
Jack Martin is class and skill and toughness.
Big game from George. Acres everywhere. Young Ollie so mature.
Lots of great moments from every player.

Demons were lucky we didn't quite click all night in the damp conditions.

he's one of those plug and play type commentators - can pick up the obvious like bont, daicos, cripps but no sense of nuance or of a lesser player having an impact on a game - if it ain't hyperbolic, he just doesn't get it or show much interest - you're never gonna get questioned if all you do is play with the stars and the known knowns.....

he's one of those plug and play type commentators - can pick up the obvious like bont, daicos, cripps but no sense of nuance or of a lesser player having an impact on a game - if it ain't hyperbolic, he just doesn't get it or show much interest - you're never gonna get questioned if all you do is play with the stars and the known knowns.....
Daisy on the other hand gets it all..doesnt barrack...knows her stuff

BOOM...That's what it is exactly. Thanks Thy because it's been bugging me for a while and I never could quite put it together.

In other words, he’s simply a crap commentator…

Last edited:
I get that every time Darcy commentates full stop... there's just something fake about him that I can't put my finger on.

You don’t need to put a finger on anything- he’s the dopey bastard who supported Hird and Essendon during the Illegal Performance Enhancing Drugs scandal, and he’s the only the dopey bastard on the Rising Star voting panel that didn’t award top votes to Sam Walsh.

You don’t need to put a finger on anything- he’s the dopey bastard who supported Hird and Essendon during the Illegal Performance Enhancing Drugs scandal, and he’s the only the dopey bastard on the Rising Star voting panel that didn’t award top votes to Sam Walsh.
Yeah i think for mine it's when I used to see him around at juniour football being all "faux hippy" in his sandals and baggy pants while cruisin around in a blacked out Range Rover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that every time Darcy commentates full stop... there's just something fake about him that I can't put my finger on.
In order he mentions:
1. Awards (mostly rising star)
2. Draft pick
3. He's from a good family (name drop)
4. the most cliched superlatives
5. occasionally borrows from Bruce's "you just get the feeling...." but it's captain obvious

That's it, that's all he can spout. Cliched, low IQ, zero value add.

In order he mentions:
1. Awards (mostly rising star)
2. Draft pick
3. He's from a good family (name drop)
4. the most cliched superlatives
5. occasionally borrows from Bruce's "you just get the feeling...." but it's captain obvious

That's it, that's all he can spout. Cliched, low IQ, zero value add.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

So same as Hamish

In other words, he’s simply a crap commentator…
when you are calling a visual medium, you need to add something - whether it be a level of excitement like huddo, or sense of occasion like lane, you need to have good knowledge (more than crapola stats like bruce) good foresight, your own voice and language, an opinion, accuracy, a sense of when to shut-up and when to crank it up - all this is basically a formula that leads me to one person = jason bloody bennett..........

when you are calling a visual medium, you need to add something - whether it be a level of excitement like huddo, or sense of occasion like lane, you need to have good knowledge (more than crapola stats like bruce) good foresight, your own voice and language, an opinion, accuracy, a sense of when to shut-up and when to crank it up - all this is basically a formula that leads me to one person = jason bloody bennett..........
And call the players by their actual name

? We cleared it twice into the corridor- once to one of there better kicks who somehow- with all the time in the world didn’t kick a goal (9/10 times Salem slots that)
It was not a good passage of play or set up. Nothing wrong about having areas to improve on
Not sure Acres one was intentional on a wet night…

The other one was a skill error, not system.

Bottom line? I think our end of game in the context stood up fine given the second hottest team in the competition was coming hard in the wet. Already stated that we got plenty right. Not going over it again.

Hudson and Lane 2 of the best imo

Back