Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Feel like it’s a little disrespectful to Crippa saying he’s a level down from that group. If he wins a flag I think he’s more than just in that group but high up it

On track for 4 all Australians and 5 best and fairests, a Brownlow and maybe another one
It is not disrespectful. It is an opinion. Cripps is not quite as good as Williams, Judd, Kouta, Ashman and Johnston.
If you took Cripps out and put any of the above in the middle at their best, I would suggest, we would be a better side.

Feel like it’s a little disrespectful to Crippa saying he’s a level down from that group. If he wins a flag I think he’s more than just in that group but high up it

On track for 4 all Australians and 5 best and fairests, a Brownlow and maybe another one
Absolutely. Time and context.
Crippa has been superb this season and has added dependable goal kicking.
Thorough champion. We are so lucky to have him.

It's not at all disrespectful, it's just an opinion of where he sits in the pecking order right now. I tend to agree that he is not at the top of the tree (at least not yet) He has a few years ahead of him to climb that tree, I'm pretty sure that he will.

To be honest I really don't like comparing players from different eras too much. The circumstances are never the same.

One thing that I can say with absolute confidence is that he is the best Carlton player of the past 20 years or so.

I think she is too manufactured, I struggle to listen. Same with Dermie, sometimes all I want is the time, not how to build a clock
Dermie!
Kill me now.
It's purely excruciating nature of voice for me with K.U. I don't listen long enough to have an opinion otherwise.

To be honest I really don't like comparing players from different eras too much. The circumstances are never the same.
Could not agree with this more. :think: Probably should given the post more than a like.

The game was just so different 30 years ago , different game styles, different rules and even different ground conditions. Cant remember the last time i saw mud on an AFL ground but 30 years ago it was quite common.

Could not agree with this more. :think: Probably should given the post more than a like.

The game was just so different 30 years ago , different game styles, different rules and even different ground conditions. Cant remember the last time i saw mud on an AFL ground but 30 years ago it was quite common.
The quagmire days ..
Didn't have a clue who the players were you couldn't see the numbers that would be caked in mud .

The quagmire days ..
Didn't have a clue who the players were you couldn't see the numbers that would be caked in mud .
I can remember watching games at the MCG in the mid nineties where the centre square was just mud , not a blade of grass to be seen. Seems it was like that for months.

I can remember watching games at the MCG in the mid nineties where the centre square was just mud , not a blade of grass to b seen. Seems it was like that for months.
I'm remembering a game played at Princes Park (1976 or 77), would have been played in the worst conditions I ever experienced. It had rained non stop before the game and continued bucketing down right throughout the game. We were standing in the outer, we were drenched by the end of it. We played Geelong that day and I think we won, 3.13 to 2.12.(I think, relying on memory here). The other game that sticks in my mind for being played in really bad conditions was the 79 GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of things we can improve on is our discipline, the late hit after the kick, it cost us 2 goals with down field free kicks. As soft as they might have been it takes away momentum and allows an easy shot on goal.
Smothers when they are required and spoiling when out of position, Melbourne did not stop smothering all night, we give up on it too easily. Sometimes the most basic action is often the best method of defence and attached
Yeah I've noticed that when we're in a position where we can smother, we almost always opt to go for the bump instead and in those specific situations it almost never affects the kicker in time

I remember that game gab.

I think we won the toss and kicked with the current to the scoreboard end.. 😀
Definately rings a bell for me too, reckon the toilets behind the Gardiner Stand flooded and there literally was sh%^ floating down Royal Parade!!
Ankle deep......

I'm remembering a game played at Princes Park (1976 or 77), would have been played in the worst conditions I ever experienced. It had rained non stop before the game and continued bucketing down right throughout the game. We were standing in the outer, we were drenched by the end of it. We played Geelong that day and I think we won, 3.13 to 2.12.(I think, relying on memory here). The other game that sticks in my mind for being played in really bad conditions was the 79 GF.
Here you go. Good memory. Stats and all.

Interesting trend developing right throughout the league this season;

We ran both Brisbane and GWS down after being a long way down to win

Geelong almost ran Port down after being 49 points down

Melbourne almost ran us down after we were 38 points up

Coliingwood drew with Essendon after Essendon had a substantial lead early

Essendon with a 42 point turn around after being 22 points down today..

Collingwood were 31 points down against Port before ultimately winning by 42

I can remember watching games at the MCG in the mid nineties where the centre square was just mud , not a blade of grass to be seen. Seems it was like that for months.

That’s why drop in cricket wickets became a thing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we sometimes expect humans to not be human. Any single side- Pies, any one, is going to freeze up a bit in these circumstances:
  • need to win else 5/4 and lose 3 in a row
  • nearly put them away repeatedly…..but don’t wuite
1 get 19 up with only 4 mins left and then a fluke goal occurs

There wasn’t any real choking. We just went SAVE and that always gives all the momentum and energy to the oppo. When a side HAS to throw caution to the wind and you just sit back and try and soak it up it fuels the problem.

No one ran ahead to receive at any point in the last. The demons knew we went into save mode and it really emboldened them to attack because there was no danger.

Take that few minutes out of the game and we would all be talking Premierships.

The analysis post game in here was truly terrible.

Back