Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Again I just don’t think this a realistic or fair assessment of the games Walsh and Cerra played. Both received votes whilst none of Sydney’s inside mids did. Cripps was down as he was injured and heavily tagged. Hewett was pretty solid.

Ironically McGovern, Kemp and Newman all made individual mistakes that cost us goals which in a finals game kept the score artificially close. I felt like we have the game on our terms for most of the night until McKay came off injured.

I think you are overanalysing it. We played well.
We know what their best footy looks like and that wasn't it. I'm comparing these players with their best, not their performance on the night. Fortunately compared to their opposition and other players in the side it was good by that comparison. In comparison to those players best...

Walsh 28 averages 27.9 so this is par to him, he's changes his game to be less accumulative and more impactful.
Cerra 24, a little down on his 26 average, he's still building his form, the best of Cerra was a tackling beast who was kicking goals and gaining near 30 in his purple patch before doing the hammy. My take on Cerra is that after a lay off he takes a few weeks to build back up to 100%. Hewett was probably a par game for him, he has had a really slow start to his season and has found form at the right time. Cripps has had a down month and we all know he is carrying an injury. We are all waiting to see if Cripps can have a monster game, similar to his early 2022 form. Not sure it's going to happen and I don't think we really look for that to happen as a team anymore. Docherty 21 disposals, averages 26 but has had some monster games on the wing gaining over 30 plenty of times, he's been thrown around a fair bit this season.

I still think we are building form. I still think our best footy is ahead of us. Reckon our midfield explodes this week.

What will be interesting is if we find ourselves down and behind in the game, how we react to that. We tend to just burst out, gain a lead and either hold it or extend it.

I would not be at all suprised if our midfield does explode and we steam roll them.

All players make a few mistakes, defenders take more heat because they are in the end of the ground where mistakes often result in opposition scores. Chances of making mistakes go up the more you tough the footy and they all did a lot of that. Our defence was excellent and in the end that was a massive part of what won us the game. This tallish but quick and strong marking defence we have on our hands is perfect for modern footy. Teams who want to play risky, quick and get it inside 50 quickly may have to rethink a little and slow down because chances we intercept it or kill it in the air are high. Swans did theis, they went slow and while they scored a few times doing so it worked in our favor. To put it short, they were afraid going forward what we could do and that they would just turn it over. Same could easily happen this week, Melbourne aren't threatening in the air up forward.

Also just realised I posted in the wrond threat. My bad!

Back