Autopsy 2023 Rd 24 Giants end Blues winning streak

Who played well for the Blues in Round 24 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure if has been brought up, but in the last when Weiters tried to touch a GWS goal (Brent Daniels @ 15:13), but was reviewed as a goal. He pointed to the GWS supporters behind the goal and seemed to have some sort of issue with something. Anyone catch what happened ?

EDIT: they showed it abit later, after the review. GWS supporter put his hands out, looked like to brace weiters as he ran to fence.

Boyd lays more tackles a game, gets twice the intercept possessions, is physically taller (and can play on a larger opponent) and is - IMO - much better with ball in hand. Boyd is also a longer kick, capable of hitting a stab pass 40+ metres, unlike Fish who is inaccurate kicking above 35m.

Fish gets the ball much more, but only averages 6 more effective disposals a game. I don't think we need the disposals - and we especially don't need them with Acres, Docherty and Newman in the same team, all of whom are more damaging with ball in hand than Fish is - where I think we need the extra tackling and the additional intercept possessions.

In no small amount, our game changed infinitely for the better when we swapped Young and Kemp and Durdin for Fogarty. This allowed the actual stars - Mots/Martin, Saad/Newman - to come to the fore without having to play as defensively as they otherwise might. There's an element of specific traits across the board, and I think the intercept possessions and disposal quality is a net improvement.

And yet, Boyd averages 7 effective disposals less than Fisher does.

You're welcome to your opinion.

All good, i always like hearing your thoughts on issues.

Regardless of Fish vs Boyd, it will be interesting to see how we will line up in the finals, i thought we struggled in the ruck and Cripps and Doc both come back in, assuming no one else gets injured, I’m not sure how Boyd gets back in.

Who do you think will come in/go out?

Why? This was the game we could afford to lose in the end. 9 weeks of elimination finals before hand and with the results going our way over the weekend, it was the game we could afford to drop.

With the week off, losing on the weekend won't be an issue, two weeks to reset. The only issue I see is that Walsh and Cerra looked a little underdone and possibly losing weitering and acres.
Yeah that's what i was trying to say, and GWS of course needed the win more than us as well.

What do you mean orchestrated? As in tried a few different things or do you think we wanted to play Sydney?
Dogs would of been a dangerous opponent imo especially after getting in on the back of us winning and then having the chance to eliminate us a week later.

Bit like thanks for the favour…. now take this….as they potentially stick it to us !!

All good, i always like hearing your thoughts on issues.

Regardless of Fish vs Boyd, it will be interesting to see how we will line up in the finals, i thought we struggled in the ruck and Cripps and Doc both come back in, assuming no one else gets injured, I’m not sure how Boyd gets back in.

Who do you think will come in/go out?
Pitto or Jack in, Harry playing deep and Charlie ranging wide. Force opposition to hold a KPD deep on Harry preventing them from doubleteaming either. If Jack is in, use him to further spread the defensive talls and open up space for the other two; if Pitto's in, aim for a block of 10-15 minutes in the 3rd term for TDK to go ballistic and a burst of stoppage dominance out of the middle.

I think Dow after his block of games will be hard to drop for Kennedy, and Hewitt/Cripps is hard to make work without more speed around them and Doc to come back in as well.

What will be known is precisely what our coaches think our best midfield is, because that is who they will select week 1 and hope to improve for week 2.

Back