Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great weekend. Went to the Captain’s run Friday, we started with the same intensity at the game. Boys looked like they were still there to sign autographs for the first quarter.

Suns came with pressure and intent, and we were in disarray in the middle and defence. While Kemp and Dow were very poor early, I was more disappointed in our leaders like Weiters, Doc and Cripps. They allowed the Suns to dictate the game and Witts, Miller, Swallow and Flanders stepped right up and took the game away from us. They were working harder and as a result the bounce and luck went their way.

Love Doc to bits but he had a bit of a shocker on the weekend. He gets into a bit of a bomb it forward without looking mindset sometimes and he just kept making poor decisions and turning it over as a result. 4 clangers our equal worst.

Still finished with 7 inside 50s and 5 score involvements so we're setting a high bar. One really important handball under huge tackling pressure when he got it out to Motlop who kicked a great goal.

Overall - I think he'd have to be running top 5 in our B&F though.

Speaking of - Charlie has to win it this year doesn't he?

Not sure how Dow was not named in our best 6.
24 possies, most by our on ballers at over 70% efficiency, most clearances, third most meters gained ,4 tackles
and six marks.

A very, very good game I thought.

Geez I hope we sign him ASAP.
He was great .

Really assured, confidence is growing.

I’d expect he stays in the team with Walsh & Cerra back - he extracts the ball differently to Cripps & Hewy - turns out of traffic nicely.

If he can do that with W & C running on the outside
Martin is playing like a man possessed. Has never played finals in over 10 years of football. His pressure is phenomenal. Week in week out. Showing leadership I never thought he had.

Made for finals isn’t he.

Like Charlie , Walsh , Crippa , cerra , Doc Gov , Newman, Saad, Weiters, etc etc etc !

That was some serious pace by Cottrell. Then had the vision to see Charlie, hit him up while still running at full tilt. Huge play by Cotters!

Then Charlie, being Charlie and doing what he does seemingly on a weekly basis, hits up a teammate with a 60m, bullet of a pass.
Was a very good bit of play all round….

Owies being in the right place and taking the mark running in the opposite direction also needs a mention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see that bit where Martin had tackled two Suns players at the same time? He had one in his left and had the jumper of another in the right - I don't think ive seen anything like it before. Think it's in the last.
terry-mcginnis-batman-beyond.gif

Did you see that bit where Martin had tackled two Suns players at the same time? He had one in his left and had the jumper of another in the right - I don't think ive seen anything like it before. Think it's in the last.

FF to 2.01

I tend to agree. Kennedy might have to fight his way back through the 2s.

100% agree Dow gives us something our other mids don't but I think Voss likes having that available from the sub vest.

Fisher is not getting dropped for Boyd - as much as I love Boyd - Fisher has become a vital cog so quickly down back.
Disagree.

Cripps to get the week off a smart call, but Bam Bam is the obvious like for like.

Then two others miss out for Walsh and Cerra (two of Cuners, Hollands, Dow or Cotters) and Marchy out for Gov.

Boyd for Fisher tough one....reckon they like what Fisher has given them vis a vis ball use.... finds the ball a lot more than Boyd too.

Disagree.

Cripps to get the week off a smart call, but Bam Bam is the obvious like for like.

Then two others miss out for Walsh and Cerra (two of Cuners, Hollands, Dow or Cotters) and Marchy out for Gov.
You can play around with the wording, but if Kennedy comes in, and Dow doesn't play, that's who he's been dropped for.

Yeah my partner told me she couldn't see eighty percent of the game. Then role me the bloke behind me was trying to listen to my broadcast. Had someone said anything I'd have turned it up but alas it was almost always 8 or so seconds behind at points.

Have to agree with this.

Don’t want to sook after 9 wins and locking in finals , but that stadium is a shocker with 80% of the seats looking straight into the glaring afternoon sun. Travelled up with six family members present and shelled out $60 each ticket for premium seating. Could barely see the ball and players until the end of the 4th quarter. Half had to go under the grandstand to get out of the sun. Kids melting, etc…

They really need to stick to twighlight or evening games.

Anyhow, get out with the win and all is forgiven I suppose!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have to agree with this.

Don’t want to sook after 9 wins and locking in finals , but that stadium is a shocker with 80% of the seats looking straight into the glaring afternoon sun. Travelled up with six family members present and shelled out $60 each ticket for premium seating. Could barely see the ball and players until the end of the 4th quarter. Half had to go under the grandstand to get out of the sun. Kids melting, etc…

They really need to stick to twighlight or evening games.

Anyhow, get out with the win and all is forgiven I suppose!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
To add to this...the red seats make it even worse viewing. Just horrendous to the eyes.

As someone who goes to every Suns game at HBS and sits on the Eastern side, it's not that bad. Must just be the Melbournites who aren't used to real sun :p

The red seats are an odd choice tbf, I get the teams colours are red but it could be annoying if you aren't used to the stadium/sightlines. It also hinders the ability for cricket to be played at the stadium in anything but white ball games - which even then they barely advertise so no one comes. I think it would be a great ground to watch/play cricket in aside from that, so it seems a short-sighted idea.

Back