Autopsy 2023 Rd 24 Giants end Blues winning streak

Who played well for the Blues in Round 24 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This. At the game live it definitely looked like a dangerous/sling tackle (without the benefit of replays). All the talk around the members was that Tobys in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And his round arm to the guts of Gov in the last quarter, Gov was down for quite some time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nothing game - good to see most here understand that even if there are a few blow-ins who seem suspiciously like trolls...

Reckon Weiters gets hit with a fine. It was a little clumsy, that hand is definitely a bit too close to the eye for comfort. Even if he didn't do any damage, you don't want players grabbing other guys by the face in any situation. I think the mitigating factor is that it wasn't a tackle that got dirty, it was our acting captain with a sterling record trying to pry off an opponent (who is a known grub) who had one of his teammates in a headlock following a dangerous tackle. It's also leading into finals - the AFL always seems to err on the conservative side with big names in these situations. If it was a lesser player, they probably slap them with a week to make a statement knowing that the impact on the following game is negligible. Not so here.

What I will say, in addition, is that if the controlling umpire just blows the whistle and pays a 50 against Toby for holding on to Gov unnecessarily after the free was paid, then Toby probably lets go and the situation is defused. Find it really strange that in another game earlier in the round a free kick was paid because a player didn't give the ball back to an umpire within 3 seconds of a stoppage being called, and yet here we are letting a player, with a history of playing outside the spirit of the game, choke out an opponent after giving away a free kick. It's obstruction of the play and should be paid immediately before other can come in to remonstrate.

Thought Harry along with the guys that had just returned were very rusty. Harry seemed to be back to his "nervous" state in play again.Couldn't hold a mark,once he missed the first few marks he went back to his old ways of tapping the ball to ground rather than trying to take the mark.
He was playing that way earlier in the season when his confidence was shot.

Giants had put the cue in the rack aswell by then,they were spent.

Yes and no.

Kelly was on the radio earlier and revealed that King had started letting the players know once they were getting close to making up enough percentage to sneak a home final. Said that the players got a bit carried away, front-running to try and get on the end of a few goals out the back.

They didn't put the cue in the rack at all, they still had a big advantage to gain if they'd extended their lead. They probably did burn a few too many petrol tickets on low percentage plays though, and left themselves a little exposed going back the other way.

Nothing game - good to see most here understand that even if there are a few blow-ins who seem suspiciously like trolls...

Reckon Weiters gets hit with a fine. It was a little clumsy, that hand is definitely a bit too close to the eye for comfort. Even if he didn't do any damage, you don't want players grabbing other guys by the face in any situation. I think the mitigating factor is that it wasn't a tackle that got dirty, it was our acting captain with a sterling record trying to pry off an opponent (who is a known grub) who had one of his teammates in a headlock following a dangerous tackle. It's also leading into finals - the AFL always seems to err on the conservative side with big names in these situations. If it was a lesser player, they probably slap them with a week to make a statement knowing that the impact on the following game is negligible. Not so here.

What I will say, in addition, is that if the controlling umpire just blows the whistle and pays a 50 against Toby for holding on to Gov unnecessarily after the free was paid, then Toby probably lets go and the situation is defused. Find it really strange that in another game earlier in the round a free kick was paid because a player didn't give the ball back to an umpire within 3 seconds of a stoppage being called, and yet here we are letting a player, with a history of playing outside the spirit of the game, choke out an opponent after giving away a free kick. It's obstruction of the play and should be paid immediately before other can come in to remonstrate.
Pretty comfortable running with the argument that Greene's headlock was a potentially life threatening situation....

Watch the AFL run for cover after that.

Yep it was one strange non call amongst a few when the game was still on. Haven’t watched the replay yet but everyone was screaming for 50 as it seemed that not only did the grub not release after the whistle he actually tightened the headlock. Weiters clumsy at worst. Would be a travesty if Weiters gets done and the instigator gets off scot free but it’s what we’ve come to expect I guess

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes as all of you said, not a lot to play for, I presume there's a very good reason Toby Greene spent most of the game on his lonesome.

I thought going in with only one ruck was interesting to say the least and thought it didn’t work at all, I don’t think its a good move going forward.

Young playing third forward and back up ruck would be a lot better.

Having a 3rd tall defender as the sub was also strange, but I think this was more just getting more games in to Marchy.

Marchy has been good and has gotten better but I’m not really sure how he fits as I still have Kemp and Gov ahead.

Out of the Dogs, Giants or the Swans, I would have picked the Swans last, very nervous about them.

If we are good enough then we will win. Spewing SOS is injured, he would have made us better yesterday and moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought going in with only one ruck was interesting to say the least and thought it didn’t work at all, I don’t think its a good move going forward.

Having a 3rd tall defender as the sub was also strange, but I think this was more just getting more games in to Marchy.

Marchy has been good and has gotten better but I’m not really sure how he fits as I still have Kemp and Gov ahead.

Out of the Dogs, Giants or the Swans, I would have picked the Swans last, very nervous about them.

If we are good enough then we will win. Spewing SOS is injured, he would have made us better yesterday and moving forward.

Kemp went forward late. I wonder if the Marchy as sub choice was so that, had there been no injury, we could sub Charlie out mid-game, swing Kemp forward and slot Marchbank in down back.

Feels like we were trialling a few positional changes (Kemp forward, Harry at the centre bounce) at times, which is most likely just to see what levers we can pull in finals if our hand is forced by an in-game injury.

If there was one game we could afford to lose, then this was the one.

Let's hope we get some players back from injury and bring on the Swans.
Why? This was the game we could afford to lose in the end. 9 weeks of elimination finals before hand and with the results going our way over the weekend, it was the game we could afford to drop.

With the week off, losing on the weekend won't be an issue, two weeks to reset. The only issue I see is that Walsh and Cerra looked a little underdone and possibly losing weitering and acres.

I think SOS will be available in two weeks and I agree, he needs to come in.

I think this was a good loss, if ever there was one. Aside from the obvious in terms of motivation between the 2 teams etc. I also think Voss took this opportunity to test a few things out. I.e. Kemp forward, McKay in the ruck, TDK no.1 ruck, Durdin back in and up field a bit and Marchbank (a tall) as the sub as opposed to a mid type. Also get a game into Cerra and Walsh, who look like they definitely needed it.

Further to fiddling with things, now there's also something for Voss to point at that's fresh in the mind of the players to point at and say "That's what happens when we're not on", just to realign and refocus the guys. It was quite clear that they were only up to get Charlie the medal, once that was done it was as though a few of them put the cue in the rack while others at least were giving the rack some funny looks.

In all nothing too concerning - Acres aside. The biggest concern imo is the touch of Walsh, Cerra and McKay who seem a little off the pace - though McKay was in a different role so he gets a pass at least for this game.

I know that i was there and seen it first hand. I was asking what happened to Fisher off the ball? He was taken out off the play by a Giants player. Nothing's been said about it.
Ah yes, forgot about that. The Giants player seemed to be a but worried that he might be in trouble for it. Stopped to make sure Fish was OK.

Martin well held by Idun who wore him like a glove. Oppo teams will know the importance of limiting Martin in finals. This will be a challenge for him, but I thought Idun did a particularly good job on him
Our ball movement generally, but in particular into F50, was terribly slow and very predictable....

GWS did a great job of flooding.

Cunners had the weirdest 24 disposal game I’ve seen. Did some good stuff on the inside with creative handballs but was kicking it like an absolute sack. Dropped a couple of overhead marks too, which made me wonder if he’s still mentally protecting the shoulder a bit. Am hoping he’s just run out of puff after 10 consecutive games and the week off sharpens him back up. Adds so much when he’s on.

Back