Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Many thanks again to Dadda Dave for the generous footy tix so I was able to see the Blues huge win over the Suns šŸ˜ƒ

Was on the flight home to Melbourne with the team (less Cripps, Charlie, Doch, Voss and a few others who must've stayed on in Gold Coast) and the Virgini Australia crew congratulated the team over the PA inflight, including the Captain šŸ˜‚ Huge cheers for the team and we'll deserved.

JSOS gave me a fist bump and a "Go Blues!" at the baggage carousel. Despite not playing he seemed very happy. Love his Blues šŸ˜

Let's keep these wins rolling! Winning is addictive šŸ˜‚
You're very welcome ..
I'm glad we got the win..

F4AtpWSa0AA678S

Of course not, can't help but think something is not quite right with him. Since returning he has been going okay, bobbing up for the occasional freakish goal. He is capable of more, hopefully Vossy sits him down and has a chat about it. We are really going to need Cuners to turn it on, during the finals. I will back him, to do just that.
It's pretty much the norm for Cunners entire career. He's never been a consistent standout, he's bobbed up for games or moments here and there but on the whole his impact isn't that impressive. His ability and talent are immense which is why everyone gets excited about him coming back into the team when he's out, but when he's in, the output is inconsistent at best.

Though one part has been consistently better than in the past and that's his pressure. Is offensive game is as up and down as ever but I don't think I've seen him play with this pressure as consistently as this which means he's bought into the team dynamic, and that's great.

I always thought it was about composure more than actual skill.
Players who can't kick don't often fluke match-winning set-shots.

Can't believe there are people who think he'll be dropped.
We got our Lambert....
It's pretty much the norm for Cunners entire career. He's never been a consistent standout, he's bobbed up for games or moments here and there but on the whole his impact isn't that impressive. His ability and talent are immense which is why everyone gets excited about him coming back into the team when he's out, but when he's in, the output is inconsistent at best.

Though one part has been consistently better than in the past and that's his pressure. Is offensive game is as up and down as ever but I don't think I've seen him play with this pressure as consistently as this which means he's bought into the team dynamic, and that's great.
his impact isn't impressive? How many losses has he played in this season? How many wins

After being at the game and then watching it last night on TV, it's good to see that the TV matched up with what it felt at the ground - which isn't always the case.

Charlie basically single handedly won that game. He was unbelievable, and looked every bit the best player in the comp.

The first qtr was almost exactly how we showed up last year - walked in expecting to get an easy win and were shocked that the Suns played hard footy. Stunning, I know, but the Suns actually play footy too. I was pretty filthy that even though the exact same thing happened in almost the exact same season-defining situation yet we walked out half-cocked again. The warm sun must turn them to holiday mode.

We are extremely lucky Charlie decided to explode because if not this is a loss, no question about it.

Hopefully this is one of those cases where we learn the lesson and also get the points. In the back of my mind I've been thinking a loss might not be the worst thing heading into finals to re-focus everyone, however hopefully that was the timely reminder instead!

As an aside, my cousin saw a bunch of the boys out in surfers Sat night. No Charlie or Crippa though - which disappointed her greatly.

I don't think we showed up expecting an easy win - I reckon we were just a bit flat and fatigued coming into it after a massive two months of intense football.

I don't think we showed up expecting an easy win - I reckon we were just a bit flat and fatigued coming into it after a massive two months of intense football.
And a particularly hard game against the Dees.
Potentially the toughest AFL game of the season so far.

Edit: A certain poster who I pay attention to said pre-game that the Dees game had taken a lot out of us, and that if we were to beat the Suns it would be a much better win than what would have been expected outside.

Last edited:
That was some serious pace by Cottrell. Then had the vision to see Charlie, hit him up while still running at full tilt. Huge play by Cotters!

Then Charlie, being Charlie and doing what he does seemingly on a weekly basis, hits up a teammate with a 60m, bullet of a pass.

Harryā€™s pace running into the goal was exquisite alsoā€¦had a quick small chasing him and didnā€™t make up a single centimetre.

For a micro second I thought heā€™d done the wrong thing playing onā€¦.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

a 9 win impact is fine with me.....:thumbsu:

Update on Game Day
Little man and I rocked up to pre-match and saw a bit of Diesel and Russell hyping up the crowd. Got across to the ground and found a good spot near the Suns' cheer squad (had a fantastic Blues contingent in attendance). My old man came along to watch his first game with me as well and really enjoyed the experience of watching a game live (Rabbitohs and NRL fan).

Guard of Honour was unreal and little man was stoked to get Jack's high five as they ran out. Found our spot just as the first bounce was had. Boys looked really keen, so wasn't expecting that flat first quarter. Suns jumped us as we were a few % off.

My boy was pissed off (funny really) to be down by 40+ at QT, but I encouraged patience and said it will turn. And turn it did!

After a huge 2nd quarter and Charlie masterclass, it was a grind - a seesawing affair that showed both clubs wanted the W.

They gave us everything and a huge scare with that last-minute Anderson shot on goal, but Charlie was enormous to seal the deal for us and our first finals (legitimately) in 12 years.

As the final siren went, both of us rose to our feet and jumped up and down - celebrating the relief of finals and a 9th straight win.

For my son, it's the beginning of his journey and 2023 - in my mind - could be the catalyst for a lifelong relationship with the Blues. Winning gets kids involved and keeps them involved. Players like Charlie, Crippa, Harry, Motlop and Weiters are household names now and he even corrected me as to a player number the other day "no Dad, Newy wears 24 - Jack wears 21". He's 5!

For me though, it was a moment that repaid the faith of 16 years of (mostly) disappointment, waiting and resilience. One thing is for sure though - it's only the beginning for me, too.

This group is special and has the potential to do something amazing in the next 5 years. No longer do I need to add any platitudes or apologies when I am asked who I support. "I support the mother***** Blues" and my boy will now get to enjoy saying that (minus the superlatives for a few years) for years to come.

Go Blues.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harryā€™s pace running into the goal was exquisite alsoā€¦had a quick small chasing him and didnā€™t make up a single centimetre.

For a micro second I thought heā€™d done the wrong thing playing onā€¦.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure that quick small was Macpherson...their sub. Would have had fresher legs than just about anyone on the field.

this is how i feel.

HAPPY.

It might seem crazy what I am 'bout to say
Sunshine, she's here, you can take a break
I'm a hot air balloon that could go to space
With the air, like I don't care, baby by the way
Huh (Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
(Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
(Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
(Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do
Here come bad news talking this and that (Yeah)
Well give me all you got, don't hold back (Yeah)
Well I should probably warn you I'll be just fine (Yeah)
No offense to you don't waste your time
Here's why
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
(Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
(Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
(Because I'm happy)
Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do
Uh, bring me down
Can't nothing, bring me down
My level's too high to bring me down
Can't nothing, bring me down, I said
Bring me down, can't nothing
Bring me down
My level's too high to bring me down
Can't nothing, bring me down, I said

And made archer look like a park player when he went fwd -- one of the best days I ever had at the football that day my Grandfather who went for north went home in the 3 rd qaurter cause I was driving him crazy with the Kouta call coming up on the screen
I was at that Carlton North Game. Played the first half on Cary at Centre Half Back, Went into the Middle in the 3rd and then played Full Fwd for the last Qtr and kicked 5....I left the game and my jaw dropped in amazement at what I had seen. I had the same reaction to Charlie's performance on Darcy Moore

I was at that Carlton North Game. Played the first half on Cary at Centre Half Back, Went into the Middle in the 3rd and then played Full Fwd for the last Qtr and kicked 5....I left the game and my jaw dropped in amazement at what I had seen. I had the same reaction to Charlie's performance on Darcy Moore
Was a great day - haven't seen Charlie live yet hopefully the day I do hope he turns it on

I think you're bang on re Hollands. Love his intensity but we need to fit stars in the team.

Re Dow I cannot see Kennedy replacing him at this stage, Dow growing by the game and I know I say it every week, but he gives us something we dont already have. Has added some real hardness to his game the last few weeks and that contested mark he took where he had to sit under a skied ball. He took that one grab overhead with big pressure from behind. He didn't go pick 3 for no reason, the kid can obviously really play.

Fisher's only possible replacement at this stae is Boyd.

I tend to agree. Kennedy might have to fight his way back through the 2s.

100% agree Dow gives us something our other mids don't but I think Voss likes having that available from the sub vest.

Fisher is not getting dropped for Boyd - as much as I love Boyd - Fisher has become a vital cog so quickly down back.

Back