Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After rewatching the game, we really need to get better at closing out games. I think we are better at trying to get the ball out of bounds through handball and running the ball and getting tackled over the line rather than just bombing it to an outnumber only for the ball to come straight back.

Better solution is to not kick one goal ******* 7 in the third quarter and win by 3-5 goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
After rewatching the game, we really need to get better at closing out games. I think we are better at trying to get the ball out of bounds through handball and running the ball and getting tackled over the line rather than just bombing it to an outnumber only for the ball to come straight back.
a comment I'd expect had we lost the previous 2 games - look at our close loses last season - look at our close finishes this season - "need to get better at closing out games"? er, we have, regardless of how panicky we may have looked.....4 points is 4 points.

a comment I'd expect had we lost the previous 2 games - look at our close loses last season - look at our close finishes this season - "need to get better at closing out games"? er, we have, regardless of how panicky we may have looked.....4 points is 4 points.
I have always said I would rather be lucky than good, and will happily accept the 4 points, but that luck will run out if we keep giving good chances to teams in the dying minutes

We tried to save the game a minute too early I reckon. 1 goal game with 2:30 left. That’s too much time to try and save the game. Should of tried to keep the ball in our forward 50 at that point and search to score.

We tried to save the game a minute too early I reckon. 1 goal game with 2:30 left. That’s too much time to try and save the game. Should of tried to keep the ball in our forward 50 at that point and search to score.
Yeah, we went too early.
Also, there was a stoppage on the wing with about 1:40 left on the clock.
Should have been trying to get the ball forward. A mark inside 50 essentially finishes the game.

I have always said I would rather be lucky than good, and will happily accept the 4 points, but that luck will run out if we keep giving good chances to teams in the dying minutes
Hold......

I also think the way we lost those games looked significantly different to the way we saved our last two games. The Anderson and Petracca shots at goal were significantly harder than the kozzy and Elliot goals.

Charlies mark was no accident - positioning and strategy had been trained for - I agree the blind up and unders straight back to them is a bad look - but desperate times ...
I agree with moving Curnow back and having extra numbers behind the ball, but we did go defensive too early in my opinion. With well over 2 minutes to go and a margin of less than 1 goal we should be still trying to move the ball forward and lock it into our own forward 50.

If I am the opposition, with 2:30 minutes to go, I am happy for Carlton to milk 5-10 seconds off the clock by kicking the ball backwards into our defensive 50 and then cut off the options and force the long kick to a contest at that point as happened.

I just think it is a dangerous mindset to go too negative too early, it's been 2 weeks in a row that the last couple of minutes have been played in our back half with multiple chances for the opposition with no scoring opportunities for ourselves. When we have clear possession of the ball on the wing with well over 2 minutes I would prefer to see us still play the same way that got us to the lead in the first place. Sure, there is no need for any undue risk but I would like to see us still trying to move forward.

Don't think we ever got out of 2nd gear the whole match.
And that was enough to both get behind and to come back.
Nowhere near the intensity we had the weeks prior and lots of relaxed controlled play rather than the brutality and speed we got used to.
I reckon it was deliberate. But they gave us a scare for sure.

I agree with moving Curnow back and having extra numbers behind the ball, but we did go defensive too early in my opinion. With well over 2 minutes to go and a margin of less than 1 goal we should be still trying to move the ball forward and lock it into our own forward 50.

If I am the opposition, with 2:30 minutes to go, I am happy for Carlton to milk 5-10 seconds off the clock by kicking the ball backwards into our defensive 50 and then cut off the options and force the long kick to a contest at that point as happened.

I just think it is a dangerous mindset to go too negative too early, it's been 2 weeks in a row that the last couple of minutes have been played in our back half with multiple chances for the opposition with no scoring opportunities for ourselves. When we have clear possession of the ball on the wing with well over 2 minutes I would prefer to see us still play the same way that got us to the lead in the first place. Sure, there is no need for any undue risk but I would like to see us still trying to move forward.

If a mark could be orchestrated in that 2 minutes - the game could have been closed out. However Suns were able to get field position and flodd the defensive 50 - very hrd to control teh ball unless a mark can be orchestrated and hard to orchestrate a mark whne the opposition has 15 players inside your defensive fifty - the dump kick is standard operating procedure under thos e corcumstances - as are repeat entries - it is just the way things are in those circumstances.

I woudl rather train to counter the flood with at least equal numbers if not more - than risk a turnover and a joe the goose play that cost us finals last year.

The good news is that unlike last year- our back six were supported by two way running matching the oppostion press - evidenced in the Melbourne and Suns game- a huge impropvement on last year's loss to Collingwood who got from one end of the field to Elliott in three kicks - all uncontested.

Of course marking in our forward half of the ground and comntrolling from ethere is optimal - it just didnt happen - I think Levi to a hiuge mark on a wing and started them forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a mark could be orchestrated in that 2 minutes - the game could have been closed out. However Suns were able to get field position and flodd the defensive 50 - very hrd to control teh ball unless a mark can be orchestrated and hard to orchestrate a mark whne the opposition has 15 players inside your defensive fifty - the dump kick is standard operating procedure under thos e corcumstances - as are repeat entries - it is just the way things are in those circumstances.

I woudl rather train to counter the flood with at least equal numbers if not more - than risk a turnover and a joe the goose play that cost us finals last year.

The good news is that unlike last year- our back six were supported by two way running matching the oppostion press - evidenced in the Melbourne and Suns game- a huge impropvement on last year's loss to Collingwood who got from one end of the field to Elliott in three kicks - all uncontested.

Of course marking in our forward half of the ground and comntrolling from ethere is optimal - it just didnt happen - I think Levi to a hiuge mark on a wing and started them forward.
Yeah once we were really hemmed in our defensive 50 it can be difficult to get out. Keeping things congested makes it much more difficult for them to get a free shot at goal, but ultimately leads to dump kicks that end up coming straight back in unless we can take a relieving contested mark, I agree with all that.

I can’t remember specifically how much time was on the clock, but I think it was more than 2 1/2 minutes, we had a mark on the wing and opted to kick straight into our backline. They then covered all our players and pretty much from there on we had the dump kick / forward entry scenario.

It’s that specific play that concerns me with so much time on the clock. It’s a signal to all 36 players on the field that we are hanging on for dear life. This wasn’t a kick backwards to switch play to the other side, it was a pure time milking play that only took minimal time off the clock and ultimately condemned us to being hemmed in our backline for the remainder of the game.

Unless we can see the opportunity to switch to the other side of the ground, I am not keen on these backwards kicks at all. It’s 2 weeks in a row that our opponents have had clear shots on goal to win the game.

I think you're bang on re Hollands. Love his intensity but we need to fit stars in the team.

Re Dow I cannot see Kennedy replacing him at this stage, Dow growing by the game and I know I say it every week, but he gives us something we dont already have. Has added some real hardness to his game the last few weeks and that contested mark he took where he had to sit under a skied ball. He took that one grab overhead with big pressure from behind. He didn't go pick 3 for no reason, the kid can obviously really play.

Fisher's only possible replacement at this stae is Boyd.

At the game in person and Dows presence was profound. He was in everything and looked very quick and clean. Has definitely clicked with the pace and reads the play extremely well.

Must keep!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have to agree with this.

Don’t want to sook after 9 wins and locking in finals , but that stadium is a shocker with 80% of the seats looking straight into the glaring afternoon sun. Travelled up with six family members present and shelled out $60 each ticket for premium seating. Could barely see the ball and players until the end of the 4th quarter. Half had to go under the grandstand to get out of the sun. Kids melting, etc…

They really need to stick to twighlight or evening games.

Anyhow, get out with the win and all is forgiven I suppose!!

Yeah there was some serious sweatass goin on

Yeah, we went too early.
Also, there was a stoppage on the wing with about 1:40 left on the clock.
Should have been trying to get the ball forward. A mark inside 50 essentially finishes the game.

Bingo, did the right thing in chipping it around but those chips kept going backwards. Need to work harder to clear out a forward facing zone to take the 15 metre mark.

We all love Charlie. One cannot unlove Charlie. But FMD if Martin hasn’t become one of my favorite players. Just love what he does, week in week out. Can’t wait to see what he does in finals.
blight put the stamp on him early with the suggestion he was the best youngster he'd ever seen...........

We all love Charlie. One cannot unlove Charlie. But FMD if Martin hasn’t become one of my favorite players. Just love what he does, week in week out. Can’t wait to see what he does in finals.
All from a bloke who needs to run around in the shower to get wet. I thought Simmo was tough pound for pound, this bloke might have him covered.

It's a good video. I don't completely agree with his analysis - even if I do his conclusion - because there are a number of shots which show the defensive ring setup around a defensive side of a stoppage only for the Suns once won to hack kick over it and get lucky that it doesn't go to hand or goes to a contest. This being, the same defensive line that drove the Pies to play their game along the boundary and made them scared of using the corridor; the Suns played the boundary and kept finding a way through to deep 50.

Zones are - sometimes - almost entirely a shell game; you've perhaps a second to evaluate all options in open play, and you look up and see the zone setup and you have genuinely zero idea where to kick to so you play it safe around the boundary. They matched us to beat us around the ball for a quarter, and got extremely lucky a few times and were good enough in others to generate shots from tricky situations.

Sometimes, your opponent is simply going to be up for the fight.

I did not notice the AFL World critiquing Collingwood last year for giving up big leads....just fawning over Macrae and the pie players.
We have won 9 in a row. We were sore after the most physical game of the season. We were depleted to the point where for 20 minutes Hewitt was our only starting midfielder. We missed Fogarty for forward pressure & Mcgovern in defence and for launching attacks.
The personel inclusions will fix the issues brought up by these arm chair geniuses. It is unfortunate that they (Coyne & Saba) do not have the guts to run the with the line that if Carlton are winning: sore, injured, lacking initial intensity and transition ability, they will be a premiership threat once the players that solve these issues return. The motivation here is that anti-carlton perspectives drives clicks and likes, our own supporters are so traumatised by the past they can not embrace our status as a top side or most likely the rest of the AFL has a deep seated need to resent our success by predicting finals doom and placing the bar so high that even a prelim appearance will result in an "I told you so" from these types instead of acknowledging that Carlton 2023 is the only bottom 4 to top 4 rise from Round 13 in VFL/AFL history

Back