Autopsy 2023 Semi Final Blues win a thriller!

Who played well for the Blues in the SF vs Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

16k more there the other night - wonder why the 99 pf only pulled 80k? - not the election that day, surely - stand being built? .............
Yeah good call. Not sure? Maybe the stand. Did you go?

I actually thought the Sydney atmosphere also topped 1999. But Friday was just out of this world.

16k more there the other night - wonder why the 99 pf only pulled 80k? - not the election that day, surely - stand being built? .............
Na there were no on-going works at the MCG that year - That was the year they started planning the upgrades for the 2006 Commonwealth Games. There were only 70,000 seats at the time though.

Yeah good call. Not sure? Maybe the stand. Did you go?

I actually thought the Sydney atmosphere also topped 1999. But Friday was just out of this world.
Yeah I was at all 3. 1999 was big because we had no chance going in. Both 2023 games were line ball. Remember, this was the same * team that went on to all but play the perfect season the following year, but for a Chris Grant snap. Beating * at anything will always top beating Melbourne. Back then, we were just regular Carlton. We were still a couple of years away from the salary cap penalties that flung us down a 20 year mineshaft, which we only really found our way out of last year. I reckon the Swans game might get lost in between the other 2 as the years tick over, but it was every bit as enjoyable. Hope that's confused things massively.

Last edited:

Not sure if has been brought up at all, it would take me 2 weeks to read all the pages, but kudos to Clayton Oliver who at 5.34 in the last qtr, tells Cripps to wipe his nose at a boundary throw in. Could have easily pointed it out to the umpire and had him sent from the field for the blood rule

Not sure if has been brought up at all, it would take me 2 weeks to read all the pages, but kudos to Clayton Oliver who at 5.34 in the last qtr, tells Cripps to wipe his nose at a boundary throw in. Could have easily pointed it out to the umpire and had him sent from the field for the blood rule
Not sure if it got mentioned here or not but has certainly had some attention, cudos to Clarrie.

For me, this is undoubtedly our best win since 99.

99 had different elements. Huge underdogs. Our hatred of *, and taking revenge for 93. Stopping them from equalling us on 16. The shock at the end. Kouta, with one of the greatest individual games.

Friday had the build up of so long without success, 10 years with no finals, 23 since a prelim. Then, despite seeming like a game we should be winning, it was really looking lost to me when they got to 8 and 9 points up, with all the momentum to them, not long to go and not much going our way. Their dirty tactics (Oliver and Smith not included, kudos to them).
Then Mots' goal to get us back into it. Then the brilliant, brilliant play from 5 players, 2 of them winged to hit the lead. And the willpower to hold it.
The atmosphere on Friday was at another level. Louder than Judd's goal in 2013, but repeated and extended.

Last edited:
IMHO 99 prelim tops both of this years finals simply because we were rank outsiders. I went to the game pretty well resigned to a loss, these 2 games I felt going in could go either way.
Yes and no mate.
In those days finals was what we do and always a chance.

This one was the outpouring of relief and a tide of joy that after so damn long it is what we do again.
It wasn't just a win. It was and is a moment in history that goes way beyond a football match.

Just wanna give a massive shoutout to MEB. I'd have been happy enough to watch both games at home if she hadn't arranged the tickets. Now I have memories for a lifetime of me and her and HBF full psycho bananas up in the clouds at the G!

The atmosphere on Friday was at another level. Louder than Judd's goal in 2013, but repeated and extended.

Further to this, I'm lucky enough to have been to 17 Grand finals, and most MCG finals in the last 20 years.

Friday night's atmosphere, and the noise, clearly tops them all. Never experienced anything like it.

Further to this, I'm lucky enough to have been to 17 Grand finals, and most MCG finals in the last 20 years.

Friday night's atmosphere, and the noise, clearly tops them all. Never experienced anything like it.
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I was at all 3. 1999 was big because we had no chance going in. Both 2023 games were line ball. Remember, this was the same * team that went on to all but play the perfect season the following year, but for a Chris Grant snap. Beating * at anything will always top beating Melbourne. Back then, we were just regular Carlton. We were still a couple of years away from the salary cap penalties that flung us down a 20 year mineshaft, which we only really found our way out of last year. I reckon the Swans game might get lost in between the other 2 as the years tick over, but it was every bit as enjoyable. Hope that's confused things massively.
For me the biggest difference is that we had won 5 flags in 20 years that day. We didn’t have the pent up frustration and it didn’t unleash in the crazy way it did Friday.

For me the biggest difference is that we had won 5 flags in 20 years that day. We didn’t have the pent up frustration and it didn’t unleash in the crazy way it did Friday.
absolutely another genuine aspect right there........

It’s almost been a week and I still can’t wrap my head around what I witnessed.

Decades of disappointment and frustration all let out in those roars between the Acres goal and the final siren. I’ve never been part of such a wide scale euphoria. Strangers hugging and crying. The song. The weakness in my legs after all the jumping and cheering.

During the dark days pre-Judd and the even darker days post-Judd, I used to tell myself the same thing: “one day it’ll all be worth it.” I think that day finally arrived.

It’s almost been a week and I still can’t wrap my head around what I witnessed.

Decades of disappointment and frustration all let out in those roars between the Acres goal and the final siren. I’ve never been part of such a wide scale euphoria. Strangers hugging and crying. The song. The weakness in my legs after all the jumping and cheering.

During the dark days pre-Judd and the even darker days post-Judd, I used to tell myself the same thing: “one day it’ll all be worth it.” I think that day finally arrived.
There's more to come. This group is destined to write some of it's own history. I can finally feel it.

There's more to come. This group is destined to write some of it's own history. I can finally feel it.
It's a somewhat weird feeling to actually believe again.
To have the feeling back that we are always a threat.
Even without the passage of play that put us in front, its there and palpable, and wont be switched off again in a hurry.

had a good old time deciding which of the calls I enjoyed the most - came up with guessen's - whateley is just an utter professional - his sense of occasion as good as pre-commercial tim lane.......

had a good old time deciding which of the calls I enjoyed the most - came up with guessen's - whateley is just an utter professional - his sense of occasion as good as pre-commercial tim lane.......

This is the first time I’ve heard the Dees call. Found it utterly enjoyable and the last 10 seconds of the game with zero heart. The longer it went on the more I could feel their hearts shrinking and dreams crushed.

Thanks for the share, it’s brightened my morning hearing that Dees call 😃💙

This is the first time I’ve heard the Dees call. Found it utterly enjoyable and the last 10 seconds of the game with zero heart. The longer it went on the more I could feel their hearts shrinking and dreams crushed.

Thanks for the share, it’s brightened my morning hearing that Dees call 😃💙
8bbhlw.gif

The worst call by far was the 7 one. The only thing that seemed to matter to B.T was to continually tell us that the Dees had gone out in straight sets.

Talk about not reading the room.

Back