Autopsy 2023 Elimination Final Blues hold on in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination Final vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Harry had kicked that sitter early in the 3rd, reckon it would have been a very comfortable 40-50 point win.

But that said, our boys will be much better off moving forward for the dogfight that Sydney gave us....

Thing is, after H's miss, we had the next 3 inside 50s.
Swans eventually got it forward for a point. Then we ****ed up the kick-out.
H's miss didn't halt momentum so much as didn't accelerate it.

We learned some valuable lessons on Friday night.

Think the big thing that halted momentum was H leaving the field. One goal after that happened.

It's a final, we won, dissect what worked and what didn't, which is normally 1 day

Then focus on the next game, strengths and weaknesses of both sides and adapt
That's what the club will do. But here on BF our task is to continue to moan, argue with one another, state opinions as facts, and miss the joy of the occasion...

I once had Fremantle supporters arguing with me that they didn’t make a mistake doing the trade that netted Hawthorn Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell, because Fremantle ended up with Luke McPharlin. He played a lot of games, you know… 😂

The pain didn’t stop there. Trent Croad was part of the same trade, he played 38 games for Fremantle, before being traded back to Hawthorn for Pick 10, used on a player who played 8 games. Trent Croad played 100 games in his second Hawthorn stint, became an AA and won a flag. 🤦‍♂️

What next?

Losing the 2013 Grand Final was premeditated and better for the club in the long run?!?!

Think the big thing that halted momentum was H leaving the field. One goal after that happened.
It was actually 6 (or 7) goals after that happened.
Swans got the next one, and then another immediately after. Then we got 3 back (Martin, Cez, Cripps). Swans got 1 back, we were up by 21 when H got injured, Swans rebounded and made it 15 points at 3/4 time.

What next?

Losing the 2013 Grand Final was premeditated and better for the club in the long run?!?!

The same group were saying they don’t have a dodgy finals record because they made that GF and made a few finals around that period. And since then, they have made one token “making up the numbers” finals series over the next 8 years. 😂

It was actually 6 (or 7) goals after that happened.
Swans got the next one, and then another immediately after. Then we got 3 back (Martin, Cez, Cripps). Swans got 1 back, we were up by 21 when H got injured, Swans rebounded and made it 15 points at 3/4 time.
Oh, I thought he went off after our 3. Must have been mistaken. It did upset our structures. Charlie was ranging wide for kicks, and when he did get possessions, often had no-one forward to kick to.

Can I just again, Blake Acres is a gun. Cannot believe the amount of gut running he did and other stuff like the two finger tippers.

Even his two kicks upfield in the last qtr were brilliant, calm thinking. The one where he slammed it down the wing, he actually looked up and realised the best option was to kick it to space between 3 swans players and hoped the ball to bounce out and of course the second one where he bombed it up to half forward and gave chase.

He is actually a very intelligent footballer.

Oh, I thought he went off after our 3. Must have been mistaken. It did upset our structures. Charlie was ranging wide for kicks, and when he did get possessions, often had no-one forward to kick to.
LOL, I misread your post.
Yes, we only kicked 1 goal after H got injured. And yes, it had a huge impact on our structures.
Would have been a lot more comfortable victory if he could have played out the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H was instrumental in the chain that created our first 2 goals in the 2nd quarter being a presence down the line on the outer wing

On another note my son pointed out that since we last qualified for finals (not including * cheating) he has started and finished high school, completed a degree, spent 2 years overseas and started a second degree. Seems a long time ago we were last a decent side. No wonder we were so loud.

Coaches' Votes (Garry Ayres Award)

9 - Blake Acres (CARL)
8 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 -
Tom McCartin (SYD)
4 - Matthew Cottrell (CARL)
2 -
Errol Gulden (SYD)
1 - Adam Cerra (CARL)
1 - Adam Saad (CARL)

Yep totally changed our structure. Motlop didn't have an impact.
I was disgusted at the "supporters" who were happy that Harry was hurt.

Coaches' Votes (Garry Ayres Award)

9 - Blake Acres (CARL)
8 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 -
Tom McCartin (SYD)
4 - Matthew Cottrell (CARL)
2 -
Errol Gulden (SYD)
1 - Adam Cerra (CARL)
1 - Adam Saad (CARL)
I think this one is fairly set.

5. Acres
4 Cottrell
3. Walsh
2. McCartin
1. Saad/Cerra

5. Walsh
4. Acres
3. McCartin
2. Gulden
1. Saad/Cerra

Guessing the first was Voss & the second was Horse.

They can train 'em, we'll keep on recruiting 'em! LOL
The one time that Freo could have gotten one over us was if they saw through SOS’ game and didn’t match our bid for Liam Henry lol. They did and we ended up with a significantly better player in Brodie Kemp anyway. :D

Back