Autopsy 2023 Rd 24 Giants end Blues winning streak

Who played well for the Blues in Round 24 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunners had the weirdest 24 disposal game I’ve seen. Did some good stuff on the inside with creative handballs but was kicking it like an absolute sack. Dropped a couple of overhead marks too, which made me wonder if he’s still mentally protecting the shoulder a bit. Am hoping he’s just run out of puff after 10 consecutive games and the week off sharpens him back up. Adds so much when he’s on.
he should have been rested...

Love all the fans copping it on social media for that mass exodus in the 4th

Teams made the finals, won 9 in a row and people were walking out

Shameful stuff

Blame the AFL for scheduling a ridiculous time slot on a Sunday night.

Majority of people leaving were families with young kids with school the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disappointing way to finish the HA season but we were even half way through the 3rd qtr when Acres came off with the shoulder injury and it looked like the guys went into preservation mode. Gifting 2 goals from 50s didn't help the cause. Were all over them early and should have been further in front.

Martin and CC looked to be playing within themselves and effort seemed to be off. Always much easier to flood at Marvel. After half time Himmelburg made sure he was always there to support against CC.

Looking forward to next week at the G with our tall forwards to dine out.

Blame the AFL for scheduling a ridiculous time slot on a Sunday night.

Majority of people leaving were families with young kids with school the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
did you ask them? all of them?

I know that i was there and seen it first hand. I was asking what happened to Fisher off the ball? He was taken out off the play by a Giants player. Nothing's been said about it.
Interesting to see if anything comes of it today… he was jumping at shadows all night

Judging by some of the melts heard in the crowd, methinks those blaming the time are being a bit kind.
Lose a meaningless game after having won 9 consecutive games to make finals and people melt, too funny.

Yes but it didn't work so do we stick with it
It's certainly going to be interesting how we go with selection.

Fogarty and Boyd give us more than Durdin and Fisher do; Boyd gives more tackles, more intercept disposals and better disposal but less possessions, Fogarty more tackles, more disposals, more contested ball. Jack if fit gives us more than Pitto around the ground but if he's not fit Pitto needs to be second ruck; if Pitto's in, can we afford Pitto, TDK and Harry in the same lineup?

If Kennedy's right, is he straight back in off no footy? If he is, Hewitt or Dow out? With Cripps in, does Dow or Hewitt make way? Who makes way for Doc, Hollands or Fisher?

There's more than a few headaches in there.

The way I see it is that we need speed, tackling and disposal eff. across the board. Gov, Fogarty, Boyd, Cincotta, Cuningham, Saad all provide these as role players, with Cotts, Acres, Walsh, Hollands, Docharty all providing gut running for defensive cover. We can cover having an extra tall ahead of the ball if we have that defensive speed behind and around the ball.

Hewitt out for Cripps. Dow out for Doc, Dow as sub. Fish out for Boyd. Hollands for Pittonett; if Jack is right, that's his spot due to increased mobility versus Pitto. Durdin out for Motlop.

If Acres is out, Hollands stays in. If Kennedy is fit and is raring to go, that's the biggest selection conundrum in the whole ******* thing.

Honestly, think we need to get our role players right. The stars can and will take care of themselves.

It's certainly going to be interesting how we go with selection.

Fogarty and Boyd give us more than Durdin and Fisher do; Boyd gives more tackles, more intercept disposals and better disposal but less possessions, Fogarty more tackles, more disposals, more contested ball. Jack if fit gives us more than Pitto around the ground but if he's not fit Pitto needs to be second ruck; if Pitto's in, can we afford Pitto, TDK and Harry in the same lineup?

If Kennedy's right, is he straight back in off no footy? If he is, Hewitt or Dow out? With Cripps in, does Dow or Hewitt make way? Who makes way for Doc, Hollands or Fisher?

There's more than a few headaches in there.

The way I see it is that we need speed, tackling and disposal eff. across the board. Gov, Fogarty, Boyd, Cincotta, Cuningham, Saad all provide these as role players, with Cotts, Acres, Walsh, Hollands, Docharty all providing gut running for defensive cover. We can cover having an extra tall ahead of the ball if we have that defensive speed behind and around the ball.

Hewitt out for Cripps. Dow out for Doc, Dow as sub. Fish out for Boyd. Hollands for Pittonett; if Jack is right, that's his spot due to increased mobility versus Pitto. Durdin out for Motlop.

If Acres is out, Hollands stays in. If Kennedy is fit and is raring to go, that's the biggest selection conundrum in the whole ******* thing.

Honestly, think we need to get our role players right. The stars can and will take care of themselves.
Hewett will definitely be in the side, his form the last month has been solid.
Dow has been solid, you would expect him to be sub.
Kennedy would be lacking match conditioning for a final.

There's no way I'd see Kennedy coming in to replace Hewett at this stage. George has been a solid and steady contributor and is one of the few players in our team who has finals experience. Things are about to go up another notch, we need him in the side.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that concerned me was that their speed cut us open, maybe that was because the pressure wasn't on but i hope this isn't a weakness that has been found and other teams can exploit. They also did a good job of stopping us exit front of stoppage, we were always having to feedback and kick over the contest it seems which makes it hard for the forwards.

One thing that concerned me was that their speed cut us open, maybe that was because the pressure wasn't on but i hope this isn't a weakness that has been found and other teams can exploit. They also did a good job of stopping us exit front of stoppage, we were always having to feedback and kick over the contest it seems which makes it hard for the forwards.

Yes. They cut us up with ease. Im
Hoping this was because our pressure was down on previous outings.

Still too reliant on clearances to score.

Lose a meaningless game after having won 9 consecutive games to make finals and people melt, too funny.

Like making a prediction after a scratch match against the Swans in the preseason

Club knew every possible scenario before the bounce, we were never moving from 5th spot. Even the selected side was unusual

Would have been nice to finish off a little better last night, but it is what it is.
Quiet a few stars aligned regarding possibility of dropping that game.

Thought we played pretty well in the first half and then turned the lights off and shut the door in the second.

Didn’t like the way they got us on quick transition quite a few times out the back, but I’ll just put it down to part of our drop off with intent to pressure.

I think(after seeing acres go off) a few of the boys went into self preservation mode.
Well, I’m hopping this is the case.

Must say - and I'll preface this by saying it absolutely had no bearing on the result - the umpiring in our game was bewildering.

Felt like the umpires had decided that illegal disposal was no longer an issue, there were half a dozen tackles that our guys laid where GWS players dropped or threw the ball which went unrewarded. One from their ruckman was especially obvious - had one arm pinned, the ball up above his head with the other arm, just threw it away and no whistle was blown.

But then....for a period of about 5 minutes, I think late in the first quarter or early in the second (?) it was like we got pinged for dropping the ball about 6 times.

Then they went back to ignoring the rule again.

Was I just being a bit myopic, or did others notice the same thing?

Must say - and I'll preface this by saying it absolutely had no bearing on the result - the umpiring in our game was bewildering.

Felt like the umpires had decided that illegal disposal was no longer an issue, there were half a dozen tackles that our guys laid where GWS players dropped or threw the ball which went unrewarded. One from their ruckman was especially obvious - had one arm pinned, the ball up above his head with the other arm, just threw it away and no whistle was blown.

But then....for a period of about 5 minutes, I think late in the first quarter or early in the second (?) it was like we got pinged for dropping the ball about 6 times.

I was there and the amount of blatant dropping the ball and full blown throws not paid was insane … a really poorly umpired game imo and I rarely call out umpires but they had an average night

They were shocking.

Were absolutely red hot on holding the ball (which I think is a good thing), which Giants scored 2 goals in the first half, but then completely let it go, so that the Giants were also able to score from not getting pinged.

Back