Autopsy 2023 Rd 24 Giants end Blues winning streak

Who played well for the Blues in Round 24 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there and the amount of blatant dropping the ball and full blown throws not paid was insane … a really poorly umpired game imo and I rarely call out umpires but they had an average night
Can someone point out the last non-average game by the umps please? Every - Single - Game they are criticized. Anyone picking up a theme? Can't believe how changeable the weather is in Melbourne so I'll just go on about it until the weather is less changeable. Oh wait.....

Will preface this post by mentioning that I'm not sure how mentally committed we were to the game. Either consciously or subconsciously it felt like we had checked out of the game once Charlie won the Coleman.

But some slightly worrying signs out of the game for me

- A feature of our winning run was the impact of our smaller forwards to put elite pressure on the opposition, lock it in our front half by forcing turnovers, and score goals. Durdin, Martin, Cuningham, and Fogarty were all very quiet and didn't really command much respect from their defender​
- Another feature of what has made us so good was our ability to lower the eyes and not bomb the ball long. Last night took me back to the part of the season when we moved the ball slowly and then bombed it long directly to the opposition.​
- This may have been a feature of being a first game back from Cerra/Walsh but GWS were able to defeat our one-wood of dominating and being brutal through stoppages. Whilst Hewitt is more of an inside mid, I think he missed Cripps being that big-bodied extractor.​
- Similarly to the above - Briggs was able to use his size to his advantage over TDK (and McKay) and effectively nullified his athleticism at centre bounces. Briggs did seem to stop and just put a knee into TDK at times​
- Defensively, I think we struggled due to the lack of forward pressure. When we've been at our best, we've been able to slow down opposition transition which gives more time to our defenders to intercept. That combined with poor/quiet games from Cincotta, Saad and Newman meant that Bedford and Daniels were able to get very involved.​
Not too sure if it was just an experiment but I did not like McKay in the ruck - took away from our forward structure and it meant there were times when Harry was in the ruck and both Charlie and TDK were on the bench so we were left with no recognised key forward.

The one rule I don't understand is grabbing the ball out of the ruck, it used to be, you grab it and get tackled, free kick, really hot on it. They then changed it to allow for prior opportunity, however, they have gone too far the other way. Grab it out of the ruck, get tackled, throw it, drop it, make no attempt and it's "play on"

Can someone point out the last non-average game by the umps please? Every - Single - Game they are criticized. Anyone picking up a theme? Can't believe how changeable the weather is in Melbourne so I'll just go on about it until the weather is less changeable. Oh wait.....
I think there are well umpired games and ones that aren’t … everybody has good and bad games players do too … I just thought they had a poor night … I do know that finals matches are much better umpired historically … so the next four weeks we will definitely see a much higher standard …

I think there are well umpired games and ones that aren’t … everybody has good and bad games players do too … I just thought they had a poor night … I do know that finals matches are much better umpired historically … so the next four weeks we will definitely see a much higher standard …
yeah, good luck with that, with the stakes climbing higher each week..................

Yes thought he was good at what he does best - he’s a burst player - will never be S Walsh.
Sure but walshy was rusty as all fyuuck
Martin well held by Idun who wore him like a glove. Oppo teams will know the importance of limiting Martin in finals. This will be a challenge for him, but I thought Idun did a particularly good job on him
Not sure many left in the comp can run with Martin and match him/ out strength/out short range quickness him like Idun can. He's a pretty ******* special athlete.

Interested to hear your thoughts on what Boyd gives that Fish doesn’t?

Fisher since his return to the side averages 27 possessions, Boyd in all his matches averages 11.

I struggle to see Boyd being an improvement at all.
Know this question wasn't for me ... but I'd say: defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher since his return to the side averages 27 possessions, Boyd in all his matches averages 11.

Fisher cost us at least 3 goals last night. He's a mid playing down back, prefer a backman who can negate, tackle and is a good kick, Boyd.

Must say - and I'll preface this by saying it absolutely had no bearing on the result - the umpiring in our game was bewildering.

Felt like the umpires had decided that illegal disposal was no longer an issue, there were half a dozen tackles that our guys laid where GWS players dropped or threw the ball which went unrewarded. One from their ruckman was especially obvious - had one arm pinned, the ball up above his head with the other arm, just threw it away and no whistle was blown.

But then....for a period of about 5 minutes, I think late in the first quarter or early in the second (?) it was like we got pinged for dropping the ball about 6 times.

Then they went back to ignoring the rule again.

Was I just being a bit myopic, or did others notice the same thing?

Yes it was very noticeable. In the end it didn’t impact the result, but the lack of reward for our tackling in the first half looked like a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Then why go in the first place?
Strange hill to die on. Take it up with the AFL putting a game on at stupid o'clock. Game was done, had a good time and able to get the kids out before the scramble. What's the issue with people having their various reasons for heading out. Were hordes of parents with kids hitting the exits when we did for the same reason and the little blighters were still a nightmare to drag out of bed this morning for school.
Bring on the real stuff in a fortnight.

Strange hill to die on. Take it up with the AFL putting a game on at stupid o'clock. Game was done, had a good time and able to get the kids out before the scramble. What's the issue with people having their various reasons for heading out. Were hordes of parents with kids hitting the exits when we did for the same reason and the little blighters were still a nightmare to drag out of bed this morning for school.
Bring on the real stuff in a fortnight.

Yes the time slot was stupid. But people went to this game knowing that.

Look, I'm not going to keep going on about this because frankly, I just don't care enough about it. Just disappointed to see a mass exodus after the last 9 games they gave us.

SOS and Kennedy were sitting in front of us, strange to see players in season sitting in the stands. Little fellow whipped out some special footy card for signing from his footy card folder that he brings in his back pack each game (doesn't leave home without a sharpie!) Was his highlight of the night.

Boyd lays more tackles a game, gets twice the intercept possessions, is physically taller (and can play on a larger opponent) and is - IMO - much better with ball in hand. Boyd is also a longer kick, capable of hitting a stab pass 40+ metres, unlike Fish who is inaccurate kicking above 35m.

Fish gets the ball much more, but only averages 6 more effective disposals a game. I don't think we need the disposals - and we especially don't need them with Acres, Docherty and Newman in the same team, all of whom are more damaging with ball in hand than Fish is - where I think we need the extra tackling and the additional intercept possessions.

In no small amount, our game changed infinitely for the better when we swapped Young and Kemp and Durdin for Fogarty. This allowed the actual stars - Mots/Martin, Saad/Newman - to come to the fore without having to play as defensively as they otherwise might. There's an element of specific traits across the board, and I think the intercept possessions and disposal quality is a net improvement.
And yet, Boyd averages 7 effective disposals less than Fisher does.
You're welcome to your opinion.

Yep it was one strange non call amongst a few when the game was still on. Haven’t watched the replay yet but everyone was screaming for 50 as it seemed that not only did the grub not release after the whistle he actually tightened the headlock. Weiters clumsy at worst. Would be a travesty if Weiters gets done and the instigator gets off scot free but it’s what we’ve come to expect I guess

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I havn't caught up with the Chooklotto news... How many weeks did Toby get?

Last edited:
Back