News Another 4 new teams in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
GOLD Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast have officially been granted licences for the 2020 AFL Women's season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-19/aflw-list-build-rules-set-for-2020s-four-new-teams

It has to be a concern about growing too fast, diluting the talent pool before it's ready, and accommodating the type of season the AFLW players want and expect. Hopefully we don't lose another 1/2 dozen quality players to these development sides.

So, which 2019 top 10 b&f players will we lose?

jackcass and barrackers,

I fully agree with your concerns about losing players again!!

I remember prior to last season we lost Stevens and Eva who you implied …. were club award recipients.

This year we have lost Edwards, Bernardi, Tesoriero, Hope, Hutchins, Duffin, Barden, Garner and King.

That’s a lot of reasonable talent but more so … experience.

Initially, I thought what the f---!

A number of these were players I was quite fond of; especially Bernardi who came along in leaps and bounds this last season and Garner, who I really rate. Garner was going for a hat trick of being the first goal scorer in 3 consecutive AFLW seasons, alas, she won’t be playing in the first game this year.

However, reading between the lines, it seems the Club has gone down the path of youth and draft picks. Even though only in its third season, I see a shift in strategy in what they’re trying to achieve. Go with youth and get games into them and build our Club this way rather than the ’crash & bash’ style and just get it forward and find a goal, that we played during the first two seasons .

I look forward to seeing Jordyn Allen, Sarah Rowe, Katie Lynch, Lauren Butler, Mikala Cann, and Georgia Gourlay in games. I cannot wait to see Katie Lynch and Sarah Darcy in tandem in our forward line.

Molloy out for the season is a HUGE blow but look forward to seeing Darcy Guttridge on the park and improvement from Sarah Dargan, Iilish Ross and Holly Whitford.

I know I’ve left a lot of the senior and other players out of this post and they all have their respective roles to play but this young band of ‘youth’ is what excites me.

Good luck girls in AFLW 2019.

Last edited:

jackcass and barrackers,

I fully agree with your concerns about losing players again!!

I remember prior to last season we lost Stevens and Eva who you implied …. were club award recipients.

This year we have lost Edwards, Bernardi, Tesoriero, Hope, Hutchins, Duffin, Barden, Garner and King.

That’s a lot of reasonable talent but more so … experience.

Initially, I thought what the f---!

A number of these were players I was quite fond of; especially Bernardi who came along in leaps and bounds this last season and Garner, who I really rate. Garner was going for a hat trick of being the first goal scorer in 3 consecutive AFLW seasons, alas, she won’t be playing in the first game this year.

However, reading between the lines, it seems the Club has gone down the path of youth and draft picks. Even though only in its third season, I see a shift in strategy in what they’re trying to achieve. Go with youth and get games into them and build our Club this way rather than the ’crash & bash’ style and just get it forward and find a goal, that we played during the first two seasons .

I look forward to seeing Jordyn Allen, Sarah Rowe, Katie Lynch, Lauren Butler, Mikala Cann, and Georgia Gourlay in games. I cannot wait to see Katie Lynch and Sarah Darcy in tandem in our forward line.

Molloy out for the season is a HUGE blow but look forward to seeing Darcy Guttridge on the park and improvement from Sarah Dargan, Iilish Ross and Holly Whitford.

I know I’ve left a lot of the senior and other players out of this post and they all have their respective roles to play but this young band of ‘youth’ is what excites me.

Good luck girls in AFLW 2019.

I'm pretty ambivalent about player movement as a rule. Strong preference for drafting over trading players. These expansion clubs stealing large numbers of quality (top 10 B&F type) players however undermines the building of the brand and that's the last thing you need when you're trying to establish the comp and win the hearts and souls of supporters.

There's also the artificial dilution of the player pool in a comp that struggles to be seen as a genuine quality product by many. In 2019 we have 2 extra clubs so that's an additional 60 players that needed to be found over the recent trade/draft period. Another 4 teams in 2020 means yet another 120 players to be found. Yes there is growth at the grass roots level, but that'll take years to be reflected in the on-field talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back