Game Day AFLW Geelong v C'wood at GMHBA Stadium, Saturday 4:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cats' improvement is evident, as they sit atop the ladder two rounds into the season, and in a way, they are treading the path worn by this week's opponent in Collingwood. What Geelong has done very well so far this season is its defensive chemistry and the rebound created from that. Last season they were conceding an average of 26.6 inside 50s, but over the past fortnight have conceded an average of just 22.5, with their pressure and structure higher up the ground looking more reliable than it ever has before. Where they have looked a little shaky, however, is creating scoreboard pressure once in attack. The Cats are goaling from just 8.1 per cent of their inside 50s, despite taking more shots on goal.

Geelong is in a similar position to what Collingwood was a year ago, tough behind the ball but struggling to score. The positive for the Pies is that they have found more reliable avenues to attack and look more dangerous than ever. So far this season they are averaging 36 inside 50s - up from 25.2 last season - and have goaled through eight different players. This attacking spread is something the Pies have been working toward for several seasons and is the last piece to their puzzle.

Jaimee Lambert (ankle) came off late in the final term of Sunday’s game. She will be tested later this week to determine her availability for selection for round three.
Abbi Moloney (concussion) has cleared the 12-day concussion protocols and will be available for selection.

Gee looking through our season stats to date. We are third lowest in hit outs only averaging 21 per game, highest Carlton ave.42.

Highest for marks though due to our short game I imagine 54 ave. with a total of 108.

Interesting to look at them if you are interested.

No changes:

COLLINGWOOD

B
: S.Casey 22 S.Livingstone 12
HB: A.Porter 9 L.Butler 23 R.Schleicher 18
C: S.Chiocci - C 17 S.Rowe 7 J.Allen 6
HF: A.Sheridan 14 J.Membrey 21 E.James 20
F: S.Frederick 1 T.Brown 26
Foll: A.Downie 30 C.Molloy 2 J.Lambert 13
I/C: I.Evans 5 E.Chaston 32 L.Brazzale 24 O.Barber 19 M.Cann 25

Emerg: S.Sansonetti 16 J.Lin 35 I.Barnett 4

In: None
Out: None

Totally horrible scheduling, 4.10pm in Geelong on the Saturday we play our men's final. You want to be marketing the women's game better. This game should have been rescheduled to be played on the Sunday, maybe a 2pm start.

Actually, just shifting it to AIA would set it up as the first match in a double header.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets take the W and never speak of this game again.

I same the same thing the last time we played over there. Just a horrible ground.

At least the coach recognised that the team played indirect footy. This isnt the first time that we spend the game going sideways most of the time. I'm not so sure about his high possession game plan.. Ruby needs to go back to CHB. I know people will say that she needs time to become a midfielder, but even if she does, the last few games highlight what we are losing from her ability to attack from defence. The good thing is that we will have a more well rounded team when our midfield returns next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back