Review Collingwood v Sydney at Victoria Park, Sunday 1:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

View on Kayo, Fox, AFL site (live stream), Channel 7

The Pies have taken a leaf out of Adelaide's book this season and it showed against Carlton last week. Push forward, have a disciplined defensive structure, intercept rebounds, and turn up the pressure. Even the well-drilled Blues backline couldn't stand up to their intensity last week, so there are concerns for the Swans' defence that is still finding its feet. The bonus of this style of play from Collingwood is that it relies less on immediate reward from clearances than they have in the past.

In their first match the Swans started strongly and competed well at the contest but seemed slightly overawed once the heat was applied. Coming out of defence they became predictable, looking to use the corridor more often than not and choosing shallow options when going forward. The intelligence of Collingwood especially in defence will take advantage of this and really suffocate the new side. To combat this, Sydney needs to be clever in how they make the most of the clearances they do win, and force the Pies to defend one on one, instead of letting them come off and support one another.

Injury report:
Abbi Moloney has entered the 12-day concussion protocol after a head knock in round one and will miss this Sunday's clash with Sydney.
She is expected to be available for selection in round three.
Jaimee Lambert left the field with an ankle injury during her milestone match last week but returned to play out the game.
She will test this week.
Both Olivia Barber and Mikala Cann missed our season opener after sustaining ankle injuries during pre-season training - both will test later this week to determine their availability for Sunday's match.
Barber was a standout in our practice match against Sydney, kicking two goals in the second term.

Teams , some good ins for us:

Collingwood v Sydney at Victoria Park, 1.10pm AEST

COLLINGWOOD

B:
S.Casey 22 S.Livingstone 12
HB: A.Porter 9 L.Butler 23 J.Allen 6
C: S.Chiocci - C 17 J.Lambert 13 S.Rowe 7
HF: A.Sheridan 14 J.Membrey 21 E.James 20
F: S.Frederick 1 T.Brown 26
Foll: A.Downie 30 C.Molloy 2 R.Schleicher 18
I/C: I.Evans 5 E.Chaston 32 L.Brazzale 24 O.Barber 19 M.Cann 25

Emerg: E.Fowler 15 C.Taylor 11 I.Barnett 4

In: S.Rowe, O.Barber, M.Cann
Out:
A.Moloney (Injured), I.Barnett (Omitted), S.Sansonetti (HS Protocol)

Super strong team named.
Keen to see barber. Think she has the traits to take the comp by storm.

Cann is extremely underrated and we know how much run Rowe bring..not to mention her kicking skills.

excited to see what we can do tomorrow.

i do not know why the women kick it backwards. i hardly see a reason for the men to do it but for the women it is ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already more HTB frees paid in first 5 mins of girls’ game than the QF yesterday.😳
The umpiring from what I saw at the game was outstanding, especially the guy wearing the web cam.

What I missed though was the push and shove, couldn't see who was involved. Was it good?

Oh and also guess who was at the game? My favourite player from last year.:cool:

Loved our work in the ruck especially first few minutes of last quarter.

Pretty even contribution from all the women I thought.

Sydney will be okay with a few more games.

I missed the game
Sad Arrested Development GIF

The game went to script as expected. Slow start and ran over them, this will happen to most expansion clubs.
The usual suspects were good Lambert, Rubes, Malloy without really dominating, i feel like we are getting a more whole of team performance.
Butler and Allen look great working together.

Is time up for Sabrina, it just aint working and the worse thing is I dont see anywhere near enough grit or effort at each contest. I think we need to play the other tall forwards as we progress the season. Braz will help if they play her forward, pace and skill and marks well for her height. Go pies

The game went to script as expected. Slow start and ran over them, this will happen to most expansion clubs.
The usual suspects were good Lambert, Rubes, Malloy without really dominating, i feel like we are getting a more whole of team performance.

Is time up for Sabrina, it just aint working and the worse thing is I dont see anywhere near enough grit or effort at each contest. I think we need to play the other tall forwards as we progress the season. Braz will help if they play her forward, pace and skill and marks well for her height. Go pies

Agree with the bolded.

Jordan Membrey kept her remarkable goal-kicking record alive as Collingwood maintained its unbeaten start to the AFLW season with a 31-point thumping of Sydney.

The more experienced Magpies were dominant after quarter-time, pulling away to win 6.9 (45) to 2.2 (14) on Sunday at Victoria Park.
The result left the Swans still searching for the first win of their debut season in the expanded 18-team competition.

Magpies forward Membrey kicked two goals in her second game back from an ACL injury, taking her career tally to 14 majors without a miss.
Jaimee Lambert (20 disposals), Jordyn Allen (18) and Ruby Schleicher (15) were all strong contributors and Olivia Barber kicked two goals on her club debut asCollingwood's superior pressure around the contest overwhelmed the Swans.

The Magpies' early inaccuracy around goal prevented a bigger margin and Lambert sat out the final stages of the match with an ankle injury.
Aliesha Newman gave Sydney a fast start with the first goal against her old side, converting a free kick within a minute of the opening bounce.
Another goal to Rebecca Privitelli helped give the Swans a four-point lead at the first change, but it was short-lived.

Collingwood star Chloe Molloy got up feeling sick when she was crunched flying back into a marking contest early in the second term.
But she showed her toughness moments later, taking a mark inside 50m and kicking the Pies' second goal to put them in front.

A pair of big hits put Newman out of action for a period before three-quarter time as Collingwood took full control of the contest, kicking five unanswered goals after the first break.

Aimee Whelan (14 disposals), Molly Eastman (12) and Cynthia Hamilton (11) all fought hard against the tide for the Swans.
Lucky 13 (and 14) for Membrey

Jordan Membrey notched up her 13th and 14th career goals against the Swans, continuing her streak of pinpoint accuracy. In a career that has spanned seven seasons, two clubs and one ACL rehabilitation journey, Membrey has only ever kicked goals, and is yet to record a behind. Membrey, who returned in round one last week after missing season six, 2022, due to an ACL injury has picked up right where she left off. It's the longest behind-less goal streak in not only AFLW history, but V/AFL history.

Up next
Pies will head down the highway to GMHBA Stadium on Saturday to face Geelong.

COLLINGWOOD 1.2 3.5 4.7 6.9 (45)
SYDNEY
2.0 2.1 2.1 2.2 (14)
GOALS
Collingwood
: Membrey 2, Barber 2, James, Molloy
Sydney: Newman, Privitelli
BEST
Collingwood
: Lambert, Schleicher, Molloy, Cann, Allen
Sydney: Szigeti, Whelan, Eastman, Tarrant, Privitelli
INJURIES
Collingwood
: Lambert (ankle)
Sydney: Nil

Thought we looked heaps better when Barber was playing deep forward.
She provided much better contest in the air, kept her feet and actually gave a second effort.

Suspect we'll be seeing a transition year and if things play out as i hope they do, Barber will end up being our preferred key forward.

On a side note.....how annoying were the commentators and their use of the word "flare".
Surely they had an inside bet going on how many times they could use it?!?
Reminded me of the joke in Super troopers where the guy had to say "meow" 10 times.

Molloy - Player of the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back