Game Day Sydney v Collingwood at Henson Park, Sunday 1.05pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

A must win this game and/or beat Richmond next week to be safe in the 8.

Sadly it is a case of get one player back from injury only to lose another. It will be a grat effort to make the 8 considering our injuries and we gave the game against St Kilda away.

Although teams are yet to be announced, these are the ins.

SYDNEY
In:
A.Whelan, A.Newman, S.Ford, E.Vale
Out:
P.Sheppard (concussion)

COLLINGWOOD
In:
C.Taylor, J.Lin, T.Brown, C.Blair
Out:
L.Butler (hamstring)

Milestone: Steve Symonds (50 games as coach)

2023-10-26_200216.jpg
Collingwood has named its extended squad for Sunday’s clash against the Swans at Sydney’s Henson Park.

Forward Charlotte Taylor
return to the squad for the Round Nine clash, replacing Lauren Butler (hamstring)

Taylor will play her first game for 2023 if selected in the final side, following the three games she played in 2022.

Butler potentially faces three to four weeks on the sidelines following the injury sustained to her hamstring during Sunday’s six-point win over Geelong at Victoria Park.

The clash will be Collingwood’s first trip to New South Wales to take on Sydney and second of all-time against the Swans after last season’s 31-point victory in Round Two at Victoria Park.

Sunday’s clash will also see Collingwood’s Steve Symonds notch up 50 AFLW games as Senior Coach. Symonds joined the Club ahead of the 2020 season and has since enjoyed a 63.3% win record and has guided the Magpies to the Finals at every attempt.

It will also be the first time Collingwood will come face-to-face with former Magpie Chloe Molloy, following her off-season move north to the expansion club.

Collingwood will be wearing it’s 2023 Pride Guernsey for the first time in the clash, following its release this week.

ALFW site game preview:

Coming off her best performance of the season, Chloe Molloy must now back that up against her old side for the first time. The Swans, somewhat surprisingly after a stuttering 2022, are just percentage out of the top eight, while the Pies simply need a win to all but confirm a fifth consecutive finals appearance. A hamstring injury to important defender Lauren Butler, however, is not ideal news for the Magpies who have just started to find consistent form since her inclusion in round five.

Sydney will head into this one still without ruck Ally Morphett, so Bella Smith and Lexi Hamilton will have their hands full with a confident Sabrina Frederick taking the taps for the Pies. As a result, the Swans' midfielders will need to adapt to a lack of hitout dominance, and not let Collingwood control stoppages off the back of Frederick's work. Where the Swans have excelled, however, is in the air. Averaging 51 marks this season – 8.4 inside 50 and six contested – an area that Sydney can get some control is the aerial game. It is likely we'll see Collingwood get the fast start, and the Swans work steadily to narrow that gap for the remainder of the game.

Tip: Sydney will fight but ultimately fall short. Collingwood by five points.

A lot riding on the next 2 games. 4th and a double chance a possibility. Finals was looking like a dream at Rd 4.
If our backline can contain there forwards to a low score, I think we have them covered elswhere.
I say low score because we haven't got the tools to kick a high score ourselves against any opposition.
Hopefully Schleicher steps up now that she has had a warm up game.
I could see her sitting on Malloy when she is forward.
Rowbottom v Davey will be great viewing.
Sydney being without there tall ruck, hopefully Sabs will dominate things.
Go pies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain to me why we've had so few good young players go through the team over the entire history of the league. I understand that we burnt a lot of picks on davey and we never seem to get anywhere near the top ten in the draft, but why is there so little new talent. Are they all going to the expansion teams? How has melbourne done it?

Can someone explain to me why we've had so few good young players go through the team over the entire history of the league. I understand that we burnt a lot of picks on davey and we never seem to get anywhere near the top ten in the draft, but why is there so little new talent. Are they all going to the expansion teams? How has melbourne done it?

Melbourne never lose players. They seem to be the only team that other teams don't target. Meanwhile we seem to be targeted the most.

Getting smashed.

Btw mid first round pick we got for Molloy...... Thanks AFL.
Almost like it was a knee jerk reaction to allow Sydney their pick of the comp after only 1 season. Not like the AFL to do that…

Melbourne never lose players. They seem to be the only team that other teams don't target. Meanwhile we seem to be targeted the most.

I'm sure teams target them but they dont want to leave. I know our team wasnt set up well. We went for old players who were not that athletically gifted....it was a short term view of things. But this has been going on for years now.

Almost like it was a knee jerk reaction to allow Sydney their pick of the comp after only 1 season. Not like the AFL to do that…

It's not like the AFL have ever gave Sydney advantages before or still give them advantages to this day........

I'll never let go how we got scammed on the Molloy compensation. It's a ******* joke.

i would love to have commentators cheering for us just once...just once....not that i care but it does get tedious every single week

That sucks.
We had opportunities to score but failed.

Need to win next week and well, for a chance at finals.

Injuries have cost us games this season and havent had the consistency with key players.

Credit to the swans they applied a lot of pressure on the girls and they struggled.
Bri had no help at all, and we let Chloe do whatever she liked. but she'd be handy to have...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back