Autopsy Collingwood v Richmond (Round 10) - Victoria Park. 3:05pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a Fresh Start
I also agree with comments re fitness levels. Most other teams have gone way past us in that area. A player like Morris Daulton for example I like her and she has good goal sense and skills but she is miles behind in terms of fitness. She could be a really damaging player.
There is a lot of either not athletically gifted or players who aren't giving themselves the tools to perform.
Step up or Go play VFL local footy.
For me if your getting paid to be at your best then there's no excuse.
Unless the strength and fitness coaches aren't up to it. If they aren't pushing them hard enough, See ya later.
I dont think they have been pushed hard enough, I also think we have to many plodders who are not going to get any better. No quick fixes unfortunately.

That might deliver last place which could be a blessing...

Well we need to rebuild. If we're in the doldrums for a season or two, then so be it. In saying that, l would also be chasing hard a couple of established stars from other clubs, particularly midfielders and forwards. If we need to get rid of a Bonnici and a Schleicher or a Brazill, then so be it.
I want the club to be looking like they are taking this programme seriously and be looking to improve.

Well we need to rebuild. If we're in the doldrums for a season or two, then so be it. In saying that, l would also be chasing hard a couple of established stars from other clubs, particularly midfielders and forwards. If we need to get rid of a Bonnici and a Schleicher or a Brazill, then so be it.
I want the club to be looking like they are taking this programme seriously and be looking to improve.

dont try to explain why we would trade a 26 year old bonnici for another midfielder. And of course we should trade a 25 year old Ruby Schleicher for a key position player. Well that should win us a premiership. I thought it was going to be hard...

Being that 7 of the top ten teams at the end of the home and away season are expansion teams and 5 of the top 8 . Is it to simplistic to say that they've been given to many advantages in their build?

Being that 7 of the top ten teams at the end of the home and away season are expansion teams and 5 of the top 8 . Is it to simplistic to say that they've been given to many advantages in their build?

Been better to be last team in the AFLW then the 1st

That was the worst half of footy I've seen us play in such a long time.
They knew what was on the line. They knew they had to win and by abour 4 goals, but it felt like Richmond were the ones with that on the line.

Not sure what to make of this season. We've had some really good wins. Some really bad wins. Some games we should have won (I'm looking at you st kilda)
To rely on the last game and other results is generally not a good sign of your season.

For my 2 cents worth.
Keep Davey , schleicher, Allen, Butler, EJ, Rowe, Sheridan, Morris Daulton, Campbell, Cann, White.
Everyone else up for trade , delist or whatever helps our cause.

dont try to explain why we would trade a 26 year old bonnici for another midfielder. And of course we should trade a 25 year old Ruby Schleicher for a key position player. Well that should win us a premiership. I thought it was going to be hard...

Because Bonnici isn't a damaging mid with her possessions. Alot of her disposals are high up and under kicks, or kicks that don't give us any advantage. If a Bonnici was part of a deal to get us another mid with better and more efficient disposal, like a Riddell from North, Morrison from Geelong or a Conti from Richmond, then l would be all for that.
Schleicher would be of value to maybe land us a marking key forward, or a top end draft pick, where we can get ourselves an exciting young key forward.
We have too many holes in this current squad, with too many similar types of players.. .

Because Bonnici isn't a damaging mid with her possessions. Alot of her disposals are high up and under kicks, or kicks that don't give us any advantage. If a Bonnici was part of a deal to get us another mid with better and more efficient disposal, like a Riddell from North, Morrison from Geelong or a Conti from Richmond, then l would be all for that.
Schleicher would be of value to maybe land us a marking key forward, or a top end draft pick, where we can get ourselves an exciting young key forward.
We have too many holes in this current squad, with too many similar types of players.. .

well i'm sure those teams will be trading those players in your coming dreams...yes yes yes i agree too!!! I love the quick fix.... get it done...make those girls want to come and play with us!!! This will solve all the problems and we'll win the flag next year!!! hooray!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So disappointing.

I’ve been an AFLW member since the first season. Our initial coach - I’ve wiped his name from my memory - was awful. And some of our best players picked up in the first draft left because of him. Allegedly.☹️

Then we appoint Symonds and to his credit he coaches us to finals for the next four(?) seasons. But then we plateau. We don’t advance. The AFL shafted us with Molloy, but it’s more than that. We have a lot of ‘almost’ players and others that are past it.

We were a foundation club but have now been overtaken by more recent clubs - aided and abetted by some of the bizarre decisions made by AFL head office, to ‘advance’ the game.

It’s time we did a ‘Collingwood’ and started throwing our weight around. Don’t be meek Pies. Review and rework and rebuild and make demands on head office. We have to be better than this.

Can’t blow up the programme.
S&C, from my understanding, has left for WCE mens. So that’s probably a win anyway (not getting Wades job and was probably gone after this year….saw the writing and took the opportunity).

We don’t have enough talent to trade the good players.
Draft is so compromised it makes the AFL look fair!
So can’t go to the draft heavily either.
Our last 3 campaigns have been ruined by injury. We finished mid table and got no draft capital…so a season like this was always coming.

Just need to move on from the older players and get a new game plan. The style we played this year is not sustainable.

I fear no matter what happens, we are due for a lengthy period of missing finals. There just aren’t the mechanisms to turn it around through players, so it has to come from somewhere else.

Nice to see there isn’t any post loss over-reaction in here.

Disappointing season but given the level of injury to key personnel across the season it’s not totally unexpected.

Not sure the system allows the sort of wholesale list changes some seem to want. Our competitiveness across much of the season despite the injury toll shows the bones are there, just need to see who we can bring in via trade and go to the draft. Speed and skills should be the priority.

A 52 point loss (22 to 5 scoring shots) may have something to do with it.

Disappointing season but given the level of injury to key personnel across the season it’s not totally unexpected.

Not sure the system allows the sort of wholesale list changes some seem to want. Our competitiveness across much of the season despite the injury toll shows the bones are there, just need to see who we can bring in via trade and go to the draft. Speed and skills should be the priority.

Symonds every time he is interviewed talks about our 'system'.

The system is broken, players look flat and our last quarters have been bad.

Whether that is fitness or game plan, who knows.

Injuries or not doesn't excuse some of our losses, today it looked like the team had given up

I really hope they do something about our forward line next season. We are constantly a low scoring team each season. We’ve got some very good players in other areas of the ground but our forwards are just lacking every single season.

well i'm sure those teams will be trading those players in your coming dreams...yes yes yes i agree too!!! I love the quick fix.... get it done...make those girls want to come and play with us!!! This will solve all the problems and we'll win the flag next year!!! hooray!

It's about enticing the good players wanting to come to you. It seems in the AFLW, if a player wants to leave their club, they go easily. Like Wardlaw, leaving Brisbane for St Kilda or a Kate Shierlaw leaving St Kilda and going to North.
We need to be able to attract a couple of ready made stars into our squad. At the moment we seem to be recruiting bargain basement players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back