Game Day Sydney v Collingwood at Henson Park, Sunday 1.05pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Not good enough today

Finals in jeopardy now

Clearly commentated by pro Sydney media.

I think it's better we don't make finals, this will give the club the opportunity to run a review over the program.
We are a very well off club financially, with top class facilities, yet our women's programme looks second rate.
We seriously need to attract players with a higher than average skill level, and we need to look at the management of our players, considering the amount of injuries we continually get every week.
I'm not sure what the training standards are like, but we just look sub par in this competition, and are fitness levels in the 4th quarters is horrible.
Also l think the club needs to think whether Symonds is the right coach for this group. Not sure what his 3 quarter address would have been, but going by his interview before the start of the last quarter, it didn't really fill me with confidence. He acknowledged we were kicking into the wind, so his attitude was "we will see how we go". Like he was already acknowledging it was going to be tough to win from our position....
Also why was Molloy allowed to run freely, whilst Davey was tagged out of the match!!!

I heard a comment from the sydney commentators that the over 5000 attendance was a great thing for sydney....and I thought that overlooked a simple fact...we were there.

However, after looking at attendances across the league, we're not that big. 2300 average at victoria park is down with north and hawthorn.

I'm not sure the way we play - and the current method has been long long term - is good for attracting supporters. The problem is at the moment if we want to win, we have to limit scoring...something needs to change

We have been stuck with the same crap for two years. It feels like rinse and repeat. There are players who the coach seems to favour and yet no others who we have in our squad get games at all. Get games into our squad. I understand we have injuries but try some other players. Stop going to the same well with the same players who are either too old, slow or don't have it. Symonds has got to go. It's the same crap every week. There is just no improvement in the squad. There is no improvement in their basic skills. There is no improvement at all. Please also get better list talent spotters. I'd rather go through pain and get killed every week while they hopefully get games into them or improve as opposed to old, slow and same basic skill errors coughed up weekly by the same players week after week after week.

So my daughter and wife are pies members and never miss a mens game.
My daughter went out this arvo with freinds.
My wife gardened.
I have no interest in AFLW.
Neither do they.
Why is this game so Vanilla.

I heard a comment from the sydney commentators that the over 5000 attendance was a great thing for sydney....and I thought that overlooked a simple fact...we were there.

However, after looking at attendances across the league, we're not that big. 2300 average at victoria park is down with north and hawthorn.

I'm not sure the way we play - and the current method has been long long term - is good for attracting supporters. The problem is at the moment if we want to win, we have to limit scoring...something needs to change
Interesting talking about the attendances at Vic Park. One thing I notice is we never seem to host our big rivals there. We've never hosted Carlton (even our home games gets scheduled at the dump that is Ikon Park) or Essendon (last year was at AIA to take advantage of the GF live site and this year was on GF day at Punt Road) there and I think the one time we hosted Richmond was a final. So that 2300 this year is hosting Gold Coast and Fremantle there. We probably could've had a larger crowd last week had the weather not been awful.

That said there is definitely room for improvement.

Interesting talking about the attendances at Vic Park. One thing I notice is we never seem to host our big rivals there. We've never hosted Carlton (even our home games gets scheduled at the dump that is Ikon Park) or Essendon (last year was at AIA to take advantage of the GF live site and this year was on GF day at Punt Road) there and I think the one time we hosted Richmond was a final. So that 2300 this year is hosting Gold Coast and Fremantle there. We probably could've had a larger crowd last week had the weather not been awful.

That said there is definitely room for improvement.

yeh there are probably legit reasons, but I had a look at sydney's last crowd against hawthorn, expecting a low attendance and they got about 4500. Evidently they said that they're averaging 5K. I just think we are losing a connection with the pie fans and it may be something to do with the way we play...which is probably the only way we can win at the moment....and why the coach is always making comments about getting it to the outside and linking up, because we rarely do it and our skills arent up to scratch....which relates to the ability to recruit etc etc etc....perfect storm. He also mentioned injuries today and that's true, but I still think we rely too much on ticker over talent...

We deffinatley need some fresh players with some speed and grunt.
I think Livingstone while she has been great is done , to slow.
Joanna Lin I don't see it happening.
Tani Brown, I would love to see her improve but she seems to have hit her ceiling. Not picked any more, I would have played her before Lin.
Erica Fowler how you can run around all day and get 1 possession is beyond me. To soft.
But then again Sabrina has turned it around when I didn't think she could.
Bonnicci to many hack kicks around the corner that fall short or hit the oppo on the chest, needs to get to the next level by creating the play more. Eg Malloy.
It's just often accumulating possessions without any impact.
We will be tested now with Butler, Ruby, Porter, Brazil all missing.
May make a final but can't do any damage.
Shopping list.
1 decent marking TALL forward
1 speedy winger
1 good outside mid with some skill.
1 new game plan which includes scoring.
Go pies.

We deffinatley need some fresh players with some speed and grunt.
I think Livingstone while she has been great is done , to slow.
Joanna Lin I don't see it happening.
Tani Brown, I would love to see her improve but she seems to have hit her ceiling. Not picked any more, I would have played her before Lin.
Erica Fowler how you can run around all day and get 1 possession is beyond me. To soft.
But then again Sabrina has turned it around when I didn't think she could.
Bonnicci to many hack kicks around the corner that fall short or hit the oppo on the chest, needs to get to the next level by creating the play more. Eg Malloy.
It's just often accumulating possessions without any impact.
We will be tested now with Butler, Ruby, Porter, Brazil all missing.
May make a final but can't do any damage.
Shopping list.
1 decent marking TALL forward
1 speedy winger
1 good outside mid with some skill.
1 new game plan which includes scoring.
Go pies.
Agree on Livingstone, been great but the pace if the game seems to have gone past her. Probably going to be a similar story with Soph Casey in the next year or two.

Morris-Dalton, Eleri Morris and EJ try hard but they're undersized up forward. Really need to get hold of a mobile tall forward (wish we could poach Eden Zanker or Bannon out of Melbourne).

Brown and Lin I think would probably benefit from playing VFLW in the off-season to better develop. But they're also both 20 to 21 so at least they're young and with the gradual shift to more full-time training they should be able to develop.

Agree on Livingstone, been great but the pace if the game seems to have gone past her. Probably going to be a similar story with Soph Casey in the next year or two.

Morris-Dalton, Eleri Morris and EJ try hard but they're undersized up forward. Really need to get hold of a mobile tall forward (wish we could poach Eden Zanker or Bannon out of Melbourne).

Brown and Lin I think would probably benefit from playing VFLW in the off-season to better develop. But they're also both 20 to 21 so at least they're young and with the gradual shift to more full-time training they should be able to develop.
The downside of the season moving to August, is that it no longer collides with VFLW, which would help the girls not picked.

The list needs a revamp. I would be going back to the drawing board, get some higher end draft picks. I think we should be looking at been bold with our trading and getting talent in via the draft.
Livingstone, Lin, Brown, Brazil and Fowler l would look to move or trade out.
Schleicher looks to be gone for 12 months, so we should be going out and looking to bring in a defender with decent kicking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The list needs a revamp. I would be going back to the drawing board, get some higher end draft picks. I think we should be looking at been bold with our trading and getting talent in via the draft.
Schleicher looks to be gone for 12 months, so we should be going out and looking to bring in a defender with decent kicking skills.
We def need more talent.
So not making finals wouldn't be a bad thing, we could end up with pick 5 in the vic draft, and then the chloe compo. So a couple top 10 picks would be helpful
Need another key defender, or two. Need proper key forward, as good as sabrina has been, we need to look at another young ruck. Some players with pace up forward.

We def need more talent.
So not making finals wouldn't be a bad thing, we could end up with pick 5 in the vic draft, and then the chloe compo. So a couple top 10 picks would be helpful
Need another key defender, or two. Need proper key forward, as good as sabrina has been, we need to look at another young ruck. Some players with pace up forward.

Agree with that, and l would go even further and look to trade out a Bonnici for another top end pick. I love Bonnici for her tenacious endeavour, but she hardly ever hits a target inside F50, and majority of her kicks are just high up and unders.
I would be looking to use one of our top 10 picks to try and get a Ham, a Conti or McKenzie from Richmond, as an example.

I agree with all of those, except Brazil, super fit athlete who can play a couple more years and has pace. Something we have very little of. I also agree with the suggestion of Bonnici trade for some picks. Can't fault her endeavour and bravery however her decision making is not great, so often the chain of play ends with her turning it over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back