Updated Appeal Dismissed - Truth of Rayney murder mystery to come to light..?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Court was also of the opinion that the physical feats being ascribed to Rayney were simply beyond him, and that the prosecution's case rested on this being somehow premeditated AND spur of the moment.

The fact is that the entire case as near as I can revolved around the fact that the most common scenario when a woman is killed is a break-up is that a husband or boyfriend was the killer, and they simply nailed their colours to the mast far too early and then refused to back down.

I honestly don't think he did it. But even were it otherwise, as you've said, it is absolutely inappropriate to hand our 25+yr sentences for "probably did it". The old Benjamin Franklin "Better ten guilty go free than one innocent punished" is a crucial maxim that sometimes gets lost in today's courts of public appeal and jockeying for case figures by prosecutors

Sorry for quoting you again, but as you may have gathered I was really interested in this case when it was unfolding.

I agree that the prosecution theory never seemed quite right- personally, I think he was involved in her death, but not in a premeditated way, I think a far better theory is that her death that night was completely unplanned or involved some sort of third party, and he was left with a really messy situation.

Also just one general observation about your last comment which doesn't necessarily apply to this case, my experience had been prosecutors are usually pretty reluctant to take on the more iffy cases because they mess up their conviction rates- far easier just to do drug sale/supply cases all day and watch the convictions tick over. That might be different for police prosecutors (because at a risk of a gross generalization they sometimes have no clue what they are doing) but the crown is usually fairly conservative IMO.

A wife returns home in the midst of an acrimonious marital breakdown attending to confront her husband about matters related to the breakup. She gets home, and her husband is at home. Before she can confront him and have a row, and before he notices her car pull in, she is attacked outside the home by persons unknown, with motive unknown, and driven to kings park and buried. An object previously in the husbands possession shows up at the gravesite without any explanation, and when asked about it he lies.

Now it is possible Lloyd is a dirtbag but an entirely innocent one who had the bad luck to be at the property where his estranged wife was attacked without seeing it happen, and that the fact that she was heading to confront him about his financial affairs, and the fact an object linked to him was later found at her grave site are coincidences, and something totally unrelated to Lloyd happened before she got to see him. (I'm not saying that to be a smart ass, that genuinely is a possibility- I don't think it's the most likely one but it's certainly a possibility)

good summary.

if you were to put probability of innocence, you would have it at at 99.99999 chance he had something do to with imo. Either that or he just incredibly unlucky and should be buying a lotto ticket as the only possible way to balance it out.

Sorry for quoting you again, but as you may have gathered I was really interested in this case when it was unfolding.

I agree that the prosecution theory never seemed quite right- personally, I think he was involved in her death, but not in a premeditated way, I think a far better theory is that her death that night was completely unplanned or involved some sort of third party, and he was left with a really messy situation.

dunno about this one, the timing, the circumstances every to me points to a planned action, most likely with someone else's help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back