Radio around the groundsmen ftom the 1980's and 90's

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I first got into football in the late 80s and just trying to remember who the around the grounds commentators were on ABC and 3AW.

Some I remember.
ABC
David Swan Mckay (often with Tom Hafey at the match of the day
Phil Parnell
Ray Walker
Rohan Forster
Skeeter Coglin
Also there was a guy called clearlow or similar, not sure of his real name

3AW
KB and Sam Newman at the game of day
Gary Bryce
Al Martello
Johnny Murphy
Huddo even did around the grounds early on in his career.

Have I missed any and who was that Clearlow fella?

Last edited:

I first got into football in the late 80s and just trying to remember who the around the grounds commentators were on ABC and 3AW.

Some I remember.
ABC
David Swan Mckay (often with Tom Hafey at the match of the day
Phil Parnell
Ray Walker
Rohan Forster
Skeeter Coglin
Also there was a guy called cleatlow or similar, not sure of his real name

3AW
KB and Sam Newman at the game of day
Gary Bryce
Al Martello
Johnny Murphy
Huddo even did around the grounds early on in his career.

Have I missed any and who was that Clearlow fella?
Adam White and Matt Clinch did it for ABC before doing PBP didn't realize Huddo did around the grounds for 3AW

Yeah, Ian Cleland commentated when abc had footy on tv with Doug Heywood. He was a bit of a ratbag just like fellow former umpire Harry Beitzel on 3aw.
I always wondered how they actually did those round the grounds in the 70s and 80s. Just a standard phone?

Yeah, Ian Cleland commentated when abc had footy on tv with Doug Heywood. He was a bit of a ratbag just like fellow former umpire Harry Beitzel on 3aw.
I always wondered how they actually did those round the grounds in the 70s and 80s. Just a standard phone?

I was in the commentary box at Geelong one day (VFL practice match) and basically what is used is a standard phone line with an RCA microphone. I'm sure we have all seen those plugs.

pazza, post: 42175720, member: 6248"]I was in the commentary box at Geelong one day (VFL practice match) and basically what is used is a standard phone line with an RCA microphone. I'm sure we have all seen those plugs.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough.
It used to sound great when they crossed to a ground where a close game was on and the screaming crowd was going off. I think moorabbin was one where the crowd would drown out the commentator.

pazza, post: 42175720, member: 6248"]I was in the commentary box at Geelong one day (VFL practice match) and basically what is used is a standard phone line with an RCA microphone. I'm sure we have all seen those plugs.
Fair enough.
It used to sound great when they crossed to a ground where a close game was on and the screaming crowd was going off. I think moorabbin was one where the crowd would drown out the commentator.[/QUOTE]

Up until the 1990's, most commentary boxes were indeed open to the crowd. Used to put the commentators under a lot of pressure with the crowd ready for world war 3 some weeks. 3aw used to have an open window where it got so bad, they had to install a Rex-deflector. Well the AW boys turned it into a dining table!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember standing in front of the wooden press box at Carlton a couple of times. Is it still there?
The press box at Lake Oval right on the fence was one of the strangest buildings at any ground ever. I presume its long gone.

I remember standing in front of the wooden press box at Carlton a couple of times. Is it still there?
The press box at Lake Oval right on the fence was one of the strangest buildings at any ground ever. I presume its long gone.

Got torn down for the monstrosity known as the John Elliott Stand.

With the Brownlow Stand now gone from Geelong, it will be interesting to see how games are covered down there from both the tv and radio angles...

George Ferry perhaps?

Maurie Considine & Polly Perkins on 3KZ.

Caught up with a mate last night at the Ghosts of Princes Park tour part of which plays some of the old tv commentary from around the 70's & 80's.
I asked my mate who like me grew up in the 80's listening to the footy on the radio and he reckons it's Barry Ferry as well. Another name he mentioned was Doug Bigelow whom I had forgotten about.
The late Ian Major was calling the games and always said Colton instead of Carlton when he was going around the grounds. Good memories.

Caught up with a mate last night at the Ghosts of Princes Park tour part of which plays some of the old tv commentary from around the 70's & 80's.
I asked my mate who like me grew up in the 80's listening to the footy on the radio and he reckons it's Barry Ferry as well. Another name he mentioned was Doug Bigelow whom I had forgotten about.
The late Ian Major was calling the games and always said Colton instead of Carlton when he was going around the grounds. Good memories.
Definitely George Ferry:
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=George+Ferry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back