BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
One thing I am very sad about is that we don't get the Osaka v Barty battle when both were on top.

I would include Swaitek on clay in that conversation as well. Swaitek will be defacto number 1 tennis player, probably til Stuttgart going by my memory, when she might actually claim it for reals

FRUMPY

Hall of Famer
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Good on her, go out when she's had enough. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often tbh. Professional sportsperson would be very tiresome. Obviously the money in tennis is great (if you are really great like ash) but still tiresome living out of a suitcase and all that travel

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JackNah_8

Hall of Famer
Jan 15, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Wtf, clearly just isn't super passionate about tennis to effectively retire twice from it by the age of 25
True that, I don't think tennis is her number one passion

Anyway surprised to hear the news today

Gigantic

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Oh wow...

Still only 25 and retiring while on top.

But good on her for doing what makes her happy, or moreso quitting what doesn't make her happy.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
East Side Phoenix
What an unexpected announcement - it's not often the best in the world at anything just decides they've had enough. She'll continue to be a role model to millions around the world and will have a lot of respect for making such a difficult decision.

Some Idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Considering she's temporarily quit the game before and almost retired before I'm not shocked. Takes a lot of willpower to quit to pursue other interests when everyone expects you to play for a long time.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow im really shocked, thought she easily had 10 slams in her. Im sure we will hear soon what she wants to do next

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
A very Australian thing to do. Ian Thorpe retired on top, a smart decision, before the inevitable tall poppy kicks in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad