Roast Aussie Goverment wanting to Take Over the Internet

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the people who want to profit from their customers being able to keep terrorist plots away from the authorities charged with protecting your life.
The issue simply boils down to “how much is your, or people you don’t even know, lives worth? “.
Because the only complainers here are those with dollars in their eyes.

underneath-the-stairwell-nanny-state.jpg
Yes, yes.
So, your happy for no .05 laws?
No drug driving laws?
Happy to have no speed limit?
Happy to have some drug f’d idiot with two tonnes of four wheel drive come towards you at 160kmh?
Because that’s what you are advocating.
Im never surprised with those who advocate freedom from all laws, without thinking what that actually means for society as a whole.
The society that you, and myself, enjoy every day relies on laws.
If anyone doesn’t enjoy the society that we live in, because these laws make it a safe society, then I highly recommend a year in somewhere like Iran or Iraq.

Y
If anyone doesn’t enjoy the society that we live in, because these laws make it a safe society, then I highly recommend a year in somewhere like Iran or Iraq.

Not saying I hate the Society is at the Moment but watching the News does not fill you with Confidence.

The PC Crowd is another reason why this has Happened

Not saying I hate the Society is at the Moment but watching the News does not fill you with Confidence.

The PC Crowd is another reason why this has Happened
The news has one ambition.
To outrate the other news programs.
And they’ll do anything to achieve that.
I’ll cite ch7 of only a year or so ago. Every single report on any crime used the word “Apex”. A well known African gang.
It didn’t matter if it was Apex or not, 7 were happy to fan that particular fire.
I have read/engaged in debates about violence in European countries, attributed to black immigrants. And yet the violence in the last two weeks in Paris are virtually all white affairs.
In this case, no mention of race.
Tonight I watch 7 and see a person convicted of a one punch murder gets his appeal against his sentence turned down. He is not black/Asian/Muslim. So 7 don’t comment on his race or religion.
Why not?
Because that won’t rate.

Yes, yes.
So, your happy for no .05 laws?
No drug driving laws?
Happy to have no speed limit?
Happy to have some drug f’d idiot with two tonnes of four wheel drive come towards you at 160kmh?
Because that’s what you are advocating.
Im never surprised with those who advocate freedom from all laws, without thinking what that actually means for society as a whole.
The society that you, and myself, enjoy every day relies on laws.
Actually I spend 3-4 months each year in Thailand/Cambodia, the latter of which is particularly lawless and I prefer it to our sanitised country. The USA still doesn't have random alcohol and drug testing. To be honest with you, I would prefer to live in a country where I had a bit more freedom on the roads, and could certainly do without the constant speed limit changes on our roads, changing from 80 to 60 to 40 kph etc. I can think of numerous examples of roads where speed limit reductions have been excessive. Speed limits in Europe and the USA are also much more realistic than here. I enjoy being able to ride a bicycle overseas without having to wear a safety helmet.

What I don't like is living in a country that seems to be the first to introduce new safety laws and which seems to revel in insulating its citizens from risk and danger. I think the way parents ferry their kids from school to play date to sport to music lessons etc when their children could walk or ride a bike is over the top. Parents' fear of road danger, pedophiles or child murderers is excessive - children are much safer these days than 20+ years ago, yet children are denied the opportunity to exercise a bit of personal judgement and enjoy an element of reasonable freedom.

I walked 2 golden retrievers that I was dog sitting past a primary school the other day when the children were out at recess time. A girl who stopped at the front gate of the house each day to pat the dogs called out to them. The younger dog stood against the fence while she gave it a pat. The girl knew the dog's names but never actually spoke to me. A girl in her group said to the others, 'You know you are not allowed to talk to people outside!' Another girl then asked me the dogs' names and I was very reluctant to reply given the previous comment. I moved on quickly. One of the dogs was named Candy. I visualised the children telling a teacher that there was a man with candy talking to them. I think it is a shame that children are taught to be automatically suspicious of any adult they don't know. 9 out of 10 sexual assaults of children were actually committed by family members or friends, a reason why some years back, the 'stranger danger' campaign was a slight misuse of public funds and personnel. So often in Australia we take safety one step further than is required or advisable.

Australia is also a very expensive country compared to Europe and America. Taxis as an alternative to your own vehicle are outrageously priced and public transport is often an inconvenient option unless you live inner city. If I am going somewhere where I might have a few drinks, taking a taxi home is not an option I would realistically consider. It's one thing to urge people to quit smoking for the sake of their health and that of others, but yet another to price cigarettes at $36 a packet and deny self-will and education the opportunity to kick the habit instead. And like Dave, I am not a big fan of political correctness though this is not a problem confined to Australia. But in answer to your comments and questions, I would rather live in a society which doesn't regulate every aspect of my behaviour or make me seem a potential threat to the safety of children just by walking dogs along a footpath. So I am not surprised that Australia is the first country to ask tech companies to hand over their encryption codes.

Barry Humphries once said that living in Australia was like going to a party and dancing with your sister. I understand what he meant and believe it still applies. End of rant.

Last edited:
Actually I spend 3-4 months each year in Thailand/Cambodia, the latter of which is particularly lawless and I prefer it to our sanitised country. The USA still doesn't have random alcohol and drug testing. To be honest with you, I would prefer to live in a country where I had a bit more freedom on the roads, and could certainly do without the constant speed limit changes on our roads, changing from 80 to 60 to 40 kph etc. I can think of numerous examples of roads where speed limit reductions have been excessive. Speed limits in Europe and the USA are also much more realistic than here. I enjoy being able to ride a bicycle overseas without having to wear a safety helmet.

What I don't like is living in a country that seems to be the first to introduce new safety laws and which seems to revel in insulating its citizens from risk and danger. I think the way parents ferry their kids from school to play date to sport to music lessons etc when their children could walk or ride a bike is over the top. Parents' fear of road danger, pedophiles or child murderers is excessive - children are much safer these days than 20+ years ago, yet children are denied the opportunity to exercise a bit of personal judgement and enjoy an element of reasonable freedom.

I walked 2 golden retrievers that I was dog sitting past a primary school the other day when the children were out at recess time. A girl who stopped at the front gate of the house each day to pat the dogs called out to them. The younger dog stood against the fence while she gave it a pat. The girl knew the dog's names but never actually spoke to me. A girl in her group said to the others, 'You know you are not allowed to talk to people outside!' Another girl then asked me the dogs' names and I was very reluctant to reply given the previous comment. I moved on quickly. One of the dogs was named Candy. I visualised the children telling a teacher that there was a man with candy talking to them. I think it is a shame that children are taught to be automatically suspicious of any adult they don't know. 9 out of 10 sexual assaults of children were actually committed by family members or friends, a reason why some years back, the 'stranger danger' campaign was a slight misuse of public funds and personnel. So often in Australia we take safety one step further than is required or advisable.

Australia is also a very expensive country compared to Europe and America. Taxis as an alternative to your own vehicle are outrageously priced and public transport is often an inconvenient option unless you live inner city. If I am going somewhere where I might have a few drinks, taking a taxi home is not an option I would realistically consider. It's one thing to urge people to quit smoking for the sake of their health and that of others, but yet another to price cigarettes at $36 a packet and deny self-will and education the opportunity to kick the habit instead. And like Dave, I am not a big fan of political correctness though this is not a problem confined to Australia. But in answer to your comments and questions, I would rather live in a society which doesn't regulate every aspect of my behaviour or make me seem a potential threat to the safety of children just by walking dogs along a footpath. So I am not surprised that Australia is the first country to ask tech companies to hand over their encryption codes.

Barry Humphries once said that living in Australia was like going to a party and dancing with your sister. I understand what he meant and believe it still applies. End of rant.
So why not become a fully fledged citizen of Thailand or Cambodia?
There are so many Aussies who think that these countries are the utopia.
But when asked to renounce their Australian citizenship suddenly understand just how good good they have it here.
You “love” not having to wear a helmet on your motorcycle. But if you were a citizen of these countries then your inevitable accident would not give you the hospital/disability coverage of the TAC.
You’d be left to rot, or even turfed out of the hospital because your savings were exhausted.
The fact that we have these laws is because if the worse happens there is a support network paid for by every persons registration insurance. The helmet law helps keeps those payments under control.
I’ll end my rant with a simple question.
Will you renounce your citizenship and move to your utopia?

But when asked to renounce their Australian citizenship suddenly understand just how good good they have it here.
You “love” not having to wear a helmet on your motorcycle. But if you were a citizen of these countries then your inevitable accident would not give you the hospital/disability coverage of the TAC.
You’d be left to rot, or even turfed out of the hospital because your savings were exhausted.
The fact that we have these laws is because if the worse happens there is a support network paid for by every persons registration insurance. The helmet law helps keeps those payments under control.
No motorcycle - bicycle. I cannot ride a motorbike and am not going to start learning in either of those countries. Besides, travel insurance wouldn't cover me. If I rode a motorbike I would wear a helmet. However on a bicycle in the relatively slow moving traffic in the parts of Cambodia where I stay, I don't feel a need for a helmet.

In answer to your question - I can't and won't but will escape there in winter. Firstly, I am at an age when I need medical cover for known conditions. Had I worked in Thailand I would have had public hospital cover. Thailand incidentally has the 2nd highest road fatality rate in the world!

Thailand actually does provide its citizens with a free health cover, provided the medical procedures are performed at the hospital to which people are zoned. Cambodia provides next to nothing for its citizens.

I like living in a wild west atmosphere, hence prefer the less regulated Cambodia to Thailand. However, I don't think either of these countries are 'utopia'. Everything is relative to people's circumstances. All things being equal, I would prefer to see out my days in Cambodia. More than anything I would miss the football. And I would be on the first plane back here if I required hospitalization.

Your points are fair and reasonable but ignore the fact that that not everyone wants to live in a highly regulated and over policed country. In the final analysis, my views are entirely based on my personal circumstances.

No motorcycle - bicycle. I cannot ride a motorbike and am not going to start learning in either of those countries. Besides, travel insurance wouldn't cover me. If I rode a motorbike I would wear a helmet. However on a bicycle in the relatively slow moving traffic in the parts of Cambodia where I stay, I don't feel a need for a helmet.

In answer to your question - I can't and won't but will escape there in winter. Firstly, I am at an age when I need medical cover for known conditions. Had I worked in Thailand I would have had public hospital cover. Thailand incidentally has the 2nd highest road fatality rate in the world!

Thailand actually does provide its citizens with a free health cover, provided the medical procedures are performed at the hospital to which people are zoned. Cambodia provides next to nothing for its citizens.

I like living in a wild west atmosphere, hence prefer the less regulated Cambodia to Thailand. However, I don't think either of these countries are 'utopia'. Everything is relative to people's circumstances. All things being equal, I would prefer to see out my days in Cambodia. More than anything I would miss the football. And I would be on the first plane back here if I required hospitalization.

Your points are fair and reasonable but ignore the fact that that not everyone wants to live in a highly regulated and over policed country. In the final analysis, my views are entirely based on my personal circumstances.

Do you ever take advantage of native Thai and Cambodian people who are exploited by their corrupt countries? Extremely cheap services for people who are basically on slave wages is one of the very few bonuses of those countries, and it's very morally questionable.

We're all extremely lucky to live in Australia, life in Thailand and Cambodia sucks for the vast majority of the people there.

Last edited:
Do you ever take advantage of native Thai and Cambodian people who are exploited by their corrupt countries? Extremely cheap services for people who are basically on slave wages is one of the very few bonuses of those countries, and it's very morally questionable.

We're all extremely lucky to live in Australia, life in Thailand and Cambodia sucks for the vast majority of the people there.
No I don't. I live cheaply myself. However providing employment for locals on local wages is going to help not hurt them.

That’s a very good explanation of the laws Dave. Thank you.
I still however don’t understand the argument that we need to keep encryption sacred simply because maybe the bad guys will get hold of the decryption keys.
So let’s allow the criminals and terrorists continue to elude the law because the may, or may not, get the same access.
Spare me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a very good explanation of the laws Dave. Thank you.
I still however don’t understand the argument that we need to keep encryption sacred simply because maybe the bad guys will get hold of the decryption keys.
So let’s allow the criminals and terrorists continue to elude the law because the may, or may not, get the same access.
Spare me!

So you are Fine to get Rid of ALL Encryption on the Internet Then so anyone can see what you are doing and get Private Information from you then easily?

So you are Fine to get Rid of ALL Encryption on the Internet Then so anyone can see what you are doing and get Private Information from you then easily?
Of course not.
But I’m more than happy that the encryptions can be broken when required by law enforcement.
The internet, and its devices, have run ahead of the law for to long. Time to catch up.

Of course not.
But I’m more than happy that the encryptions can be broken when required by law enforcement.
The internet, and its devices, have run ahead of the law for to long. Time to catch up.

That Fine but what Happens When Hackers and Bad People figure out how to use this to break Encryption for themselves?

That what made the Internet so Great and this will just make it Terrible and in way hurt people using the Internet and People will try and find a way around it

That Fine but what Happens When Hackers and Bad People figure out how to use this to break Encryption for themselves?

That what made the Internet so Great and this will just make it Terrible and in way hurt people using the Internet and People will try and find a way around it
Hackers will always hack Dave.
Even the FBI successfully hacked an iPhone that they needed to get evidence from.
Don’t believe that the baddies aren’t already trying, and maybe succeeding, at breaking encryptions. Nothing is “unsinkable”.
The lesson from all this is that it is your responsibility to protect yourself and your data.
And to put your mind at rest, the Government don’t have the resources to track you for your Hollywood movie downloads, or your pr0n. As long as it’s pr0n within the accepted norms.
Not that long ago it was revealed that ASIO would need an extra 18,000 full time employees just to monitor the people on their watch list 24/7.
They don’t really want or have the resources to chase minnows like us.

Hackers will always hack Dave.
Even the FBI successfully hacked an iPhone that they needed to get evidence from.
Don’t believe that the baddies aren’t already trying, and maybe succeeding, at breaking encryptions. Nothing is “unsinkable”.
The lesson from all this is that it is your responsibility to protect yourself and your data.
And to put your mind at rest, the Government don’t have the resources to track you for your Hollywood movie downloads, or your pr0n. As long as it’s pr0n within the accepted norms.
Not that long ago it was revealed that ASIO would need an extra 18,000 full time employees just to monitor the people on their watch list 24/7.
They don’t really want or have the resources to chase minnows like us.

Agree that they have lot more worse Criminals/Terriosts to chase after then Someone who downloads Movies/TV Shows/Music/Video Games with Torrents/Direct Downloading.

But some people could say that Encryption/VPN's is part of keeping your self safe as possible.

I agree anything is Hackable but you do want to make it hard as possible for them

Agree that they have lot more worse Criminals/Terriosts to chase after then Someone who downloads Movies/TV Shows/Music/Video Games with Torrents/Direct Downloading.

But some people could say that Encryption/VPN's is part of keeping your self safe as possible.

I agree anything is Hackable but you do want to make it hard as possible for them
Balance Dave.
Your little secrets compared to those of people with mass murder in their mind?
For me, that’s easily answered.
And I’m a person who opted out of myhealthrecord because I don’t trust the security protocols.

Balance Dave.
Your little secrets compared to those of people with mass murder in their mind?
For me, that’s easily answered.
And I’m a person who opted out of myhealthrecord because I don’t trust the security protocols.

Weren't you scared of the Chinese government accessing your Fly Buys not too long ago?

I hate this type of argument.
Why don't you become a citizen of a country with better animal welfare laws BW?
We are free to criticize aspects of the country we live in without being asked to renounce our citizenship.
It's a lame way to argue and quite frankly shows intellectual deficiency.
You quite often criticise aspects of Australia. It's politicians and police force for example.
So I ask you BW. Why don't you become a citizen of another country?

We are free to criticize aspects of the country we live in without being asked to renounce our citizenship.
You quite often criticise aspects of Australia. It's politicians and police force for example.
I'll help him pack his bags. :D

Because this is the best country in the world.
Why?
Because we have a track record of listening to the people and changing the laws to reflect the will of the people, not only the will of the select few like other countries do.
Criticisms of politicians and the police are purely to make them lift their gam3 and make sure they act within the law. Particularly the police.
The animal liberation laws are now gaining traction, even got a member of the upper house in Victoria now.
Just a matter of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back