Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

anyone else do a double-take at the heavily pregnant player second from right?

A female cricketer raises her right arm as she celebrates with her teammates, who are surrounding her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner may be on 52, but I've never been less convinced.

Pakistan have consistently been either too full - half volley/full toss length - or too short (the back end of back a length), and they've lacked the patience to really test him on the stumps. They've looked ever bit as though they lack the experience they do. Brisbane is a regular wicket; bouncy, but regular. You can treat the ball on its merits, and while the ball will carry it won't do anything ridiculous; it isn't going to leap at you, and it isn't going to shoot through.

Warner's footwork has been unconvincing; when he comes forward, it's half forward and more a turning of the front foot than an actual press, and when he goes back it isn't emphatic. His cuts are wristy rather than deliberate; his drives are with his weight committed forward rather than towards the ball, and while that has never been perfect for him he's usually a good deal better. He's fortunate they've not been able to pin him down, that he's been able to rush the other end with defensive prods and deflections; he's still a decent opener. But he's not a good option in test match cricket unless he recovers that combination of eye and technique and discipline he used to possess, because at the moment he looks like someone taking advantage of poor opposition and a flat wicket rather than a test match opener, average and runs be damned.

Pitch has quickened up a little after lunch, bowlers also bowling tighter lines helps. Yasir Shah actually bowling to a plan helps more.

Still too easy to score, though. Always been an option for both players to go to, but Burns looks significantly more comfortable and patient than Warner. Credit where it's due, though; since his chance, he's played a lot tighter.

He'll be disappointed to get out, Joe, but he played very well. I am always impressed by him at the top of the order in Australia, he just needs to replicate that form overseas.

And now to sit back and watch Marnus get to work. I love watching him bat, he's a gem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back