Movie Avengers - Endgame

Remove this Banner Ad

You can certainly tell the people who have little understanding of the greater marvel storylines and characters through the comics.

Yeah I'm very much engaged with the more deep cut story telling, and morally gray characters.

I know many out there hated Wakanda Forever because it didn't have a defined good v bad or hero v villain structure but I loved it.

Yeah I'm very much engaged with the more deep cut story telling, and morally gray characters.

I know many out there hated Wakanda Forever because it didn't have a defined good v bad or hero v villain structure but I loved it.
Wakanda Forever is one I haven’t watched yet despite watching all the others. I think it’s on Disney Plus so I might give it a go.

Ant Man on the other hand, what a terrible film.

Wakanda Forever is one I haven’t watched yet despite watching all the others. I think it’s on Disney Plus so I might give it a go.

Ant Man on the other hand, what a terrible film.

Unfortunately it's by far the worst but by far the most consequential of the trilogy

I seem to concur. End game was the pinnacle and culmination of a long storytelling journey. It ends, and now we thinking weve been financially and spiritually invested in that adventure. How does one top that? Follow the same formula, introduce new characters and then a major villain to come?

I’ve said this elsewhere but people decrying the end of the MCU are way off.

It’s still commercially successful so in that respect it’s not ending even if you personal mileage may vary.

From a story telling POV people comparing the current slate of films to Infinity War and Endgame are doing it wrong.

Those films were the culmination of the story arc. 10+ years and 20+ films into.

If you want a comparative then go to Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, First Avenger etc. there were plenty of average to bad films in the early days and plenty of filler. Of course the current releases aren’t endgame, that’s secret wars and Kang dynasty which are years away yet.

If you’ve personally tapped out that’s fair enough (I certainly don’t have the passion for them I once did) but marvel have already identified they were over saturating and moved to correct that, the rest is going along just fine.

It’s been nearly 4 years since this came out and I haven’t been nearly as invested in the MCU since. I hope the newer movies are good, because the last three I watched were terrible.

To me this is when the MCU ended.
Thing is, I feel phase 4 and phase 1 have been very similar.

It's just phase 1 was all flashy and new. So it appealed more.

But it was phase 2-3 which really built everything up. And you can start to see that direction in phase 5 (hopefully culminating in the 2 avengers movies in phase 6)

I seem to concur. End game was the pinnacle and culmination of a long storytelling journey. It ends, and now we thinking weve been financially and spiritually invested in that adventure. How does one top that? Follow the same formula, introduce new characters and then a major villain to come?
My plan was to stop MCU after Endgame. It did feel like a natural ending.

But the trailers for Spiderman 3 and Dr Strange 2 got me back into them. And once there, well, why not catch up. I had a holiday time for Black Panther 2. And I haven't gotten around to getting Disney+ yet. But once I do, it's probably the first thing I watch. Only MCU film I haven't watched.

It’s still commercially successful so in that respect it’s not ending even if you personal mileage may vary.

From a story telling POV people comparing the current slate of films to Infinity War and Endgame are doing it wrong.

Those films were the culmination of the story arc. 10+ years and 20+ films into.

If you want a comparative then go to Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, First Avenger etc. there were plenty of average to bad films in the early days and plenty of filler. Of course the current releases aren’t endgame, that’s secret wars and Kang dynasty which are years away yet.

If you’ve personally tapped out that’s fair enough (I certainly don’t have the passion for them I once did) but marvel have already identified they were over saturating and moved to correct that, the rest is going along just fine.
They are?

2008 - 2 (Ironman 1, Hulk 1)
2009 - 0
2010 - 1 (Ironman 2)
2011 - 2 (Thor 1, Captain America 1)
2012 - 1 (Avengers 1)
2013 - 2 (Ironman 3, Thor 2)
2014 - 2 (Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 1)
2015 - 2 (Avengers 2, Antman 1)
2016 - 2 (Captain America 3, Dr Strange 1)
2017 - 3 (Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman 1, Thor 3)
2018 - 3 (Black Panther 1, Avengers 3, Antman 2)
2019 - 3 (Captain Marvel 1, Avengers 4, Spiderman 2)
2020 - 0
2021 - 4 (Black Widow 1, Shang-Chi 1, Eternals 1, Spiderman 3)
2022 - 3 (Dr Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2)
2023 - 3 (Antman 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Captain Marvel 2)
2024 - 4 (Captain America 4, Thunderbolts 1, Blade 1, Deadpool 3*)
2025 - 2** (Fantastic Four 1, Avengers 5)
2026 - 1** (Avengers 6)

*First in MCU
** With most likely more to come out

Pre 2017 yeah, 1-2 a year
But since, 3+. So have they rectified the oversaturation? Idk. 2021 made sense (Catching up after not being able to release anything in 2020). But why is there 4 films in 2024?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are?

2008 - 2 (Ironman 1, Hulk 1)
2009 - 0
2010 - 1 (Ironman 2)
2011 - 2 (Thor 1, Captain America 1)
2012 - 1 (Avengers 1)
2013 - 2 (Ironman 3, Thor 2)
2014 - 2 (Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 1)
2015 - 2 (Avengers 2, Antman 1)
2016 - 2 (Captain America 3, Dr Strange 1)
2017 - 3 (Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman 1, Thor 3)
2018 - 3 (Black Panther 1, Avengers 3, Antman 2)
2019 - 3 (Captain Marvel 1, Avengers 4, Spiderman 2)
2020 - 0
2021 - 4 (Black Widow 1, Shang-Chi 1, Eternals 1, Spiderman 3)
2022 - 3 (Dr Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2)
2023 - 3 (Antman 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Captain Marvel 2)
2024 - 4 (Captain America 4, Thunderbolts 1, Blade 1, Deadpool 3*)
2025 - 2** (Fantastic Four 1, Avengers 5)
2026 - 1** (Avengers 6)

*First in MCU
** With most likely more to come out

Pre 2017 yeah, 1-2 a year
But since, 3+. So have they rectified the oversaturation? Idk. 2021 made sense (Catching up after not being able to release anything in 2020). But why is there 4 films in 2024?
Fair point, i was more talking the ancillary stuff (TV and specials etc).

I think 3 a year is a reasonable amount, 21/22 had 7 movies and 8 tv shows i think?

They announced they were paring it back themselves, perhaps not as much as some of us might like but its considered.

Fair point, i was more talking the ancillary stuff (TV and specials etc).

I think 3 a year is a reasonable amount, 21/22 had 7 movies and 8 tv shows i think?

They announced they were paring it back themselves, perhaps not as much as some of us might like but its considered.
That's where the saturation has come for me (the TV shows).

Movies are ok, you can sit down in one evening and get through it. The multiple shows were adding up to the point where I've just flat missed some of them.

That's where the saturation has come for me (the TV shows).

Movies are ok, you can sit down in one evening and get through it. The multiple shows were adding up to the point where I've just flat missed some of them.
Completely agree, its a minor correction to a pretty huge error on their part so im not championing it as some master stroke but also they probably could have kept churning it out and theyve noticed it and tried to correct course. So a tiny bit of credit for it.

I still think (much like Dirty Bird said) its pretty similar to phase 1 in terms of quality right now.

I also thought Shang Chi was pretty good and that Simu Liu could blow up into a quality lead for the franchise.

Thing is, I feel phase 4 and phase 1 have been very similar.

It's just phase 1 was all flashy and new. So it appealed more.

But it was phase 2-3 which really built everything up. And you can start to see that direction in phase 5 (hopefully culminating in the 2 avengers movies in phase 6)
I felt that Iron Man and Capt America: First Soldier were solid. Also helped that we got The Avengers (which was great) pretty early on, it was the third MCU film I had seen.

I enjoyed NWH and about half of MoM. The problem was the the most important film of the phase was the worst. The opposite of Phase 1.

A fair objection, I think, is that Endgame finished 11 years after the first movie. Secret Wars is planned for 2026 I think, which is only five years after things kicked off again, so that will also have an effect on how epic it feels.

A fair objection, I think, is that Endgame finished 11 years after the first movie. Secret Wars is planned for 2026 I think, which is only five years after things kicked off again, so that will also have an effect on how epic it feels.
Yeh that probably is fair although there was a bit or work to establish the general lore and canon of comic book. It was niche, its not now so some of that stuff is done. Was also 4 years between Avengers 1 and 2.

Perhaps is not quite phase 1 as a comparative but something between 1 and 2.

I just think the whole "The MCU is dead and buried" is massively overstated.

Still making billions of dollars and the quality is still reasonable at worse (I havent seen Antman but the new Thor was still substantially better than the first and second).

Yeh that probably is fair although there was a bit or work to establish the general lore and canon of comic book. It was niche, its not now so some of that stuff is done. Was also 4 years between Avengers 1 and 2.
Equally, with more movies in these phases, it may be the same amount of films from 2021-2026 as 2008-2019,

c1710682-9a6a-4b95-b5f0-d7209d04e645_text.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back