Beep Test Record Broken

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Crawford has the highest recorded score out of every AFL player to have ran it I think. He is rumored to have finished it but I have a feeling it was in the 18's.

A test that does bear some relationship to success in the AFL also appears to the vertical leap results.

Part of the problem is that the test done in 2004 were not exactly the same as today but a few of them can be said to be more or less consistent.

I'd take more notice of the vertical leap results.
Vertical leap is important in that it shows obviously how high a person can jump, but also gives an idea as to their pace and power through their legs.
These things, unlike endurance or skills are mostly based on natural gifts that are rarely improved and thus are valuable commodities.

Just because those who have done well in a specific test have gone on to become good players does not mean that test is important in determining who will be a good player. You have to take into consideration what the test is and what it tells you, as well as how this relates to the individual player.

My PB was a 13.0 in year 9. Got worse every year after that, i would have been about 50Kg's then. The test is a lot harder once you gain weight which i suspect is a reason why hill did so well im nearly 80kg's now (muscle gained not fat) and i reckon i would be struggling to do more than a 10 now.

I swear to god being fast and agile helps you in this test aswell. Im pretty quick and agile but wasn't always super fit and at school i remember beating most people at the beep, even some people who i knew to be much fitter and smash me at cross country.

16.1 Is an amazing beep but im curious to see how he will go once he puts on weight or how he goes in a 3km. It was quite surprising to hear as Stephen isnt the fittest of players.

Exactly - gameplan of guys like Dane Swan is built around it.

If however (and I think they should to continue opening up the games) drop the bench back to 2 bench + 2 subs like it was in the 80's I think then endurance would be more important again.

Young Hill is noticed because of his brother and will probably be drafted on the basis of this and his beep but has to do a lot of other things well enough to be good AFL player.

Your spot on, i will say before he even gets picked up he wont be much of a player. Having said that it seems he has super dedication and is wanting to get better and be as good as his brother. Had his last name not been Hill, he wouldnt have even made it to the combine.

FWIW before the combine the 3 clubs into him most were the two WA clubs and Port. IIRC melbourne was another. Im sure there are many more now.

Interesting to see Adam Tomlinson recorded over 15 on the beep test. Great result for a big bodied (194cm/ 90 odd kg) KPP. Would have had to have helped his draft stocks.
Anybody know if he can actually play??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back