Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If it took off and then hit 21 itll be fine. During early ferment definitely want to control it but if its mostly fermented then all good. Youll want to raise it to low 20s to finish off anyway.

Woodchips are fun. Soak them in some spirits first to impart a bit of that extra flavour. I want to try torching some spirit soaked chips too. Get some roasty smokiness going on.
Yeah i'll give it a crack with the next one - might just soak in some cognac or something and use an eye dropper to put a little in a few bottles rather than dump it all in the bucket.

Was a couple of days after pitching, so hopefully it'll be fine. There's enough malt/roastiness/IBUs to hopefully mask any estery flavours anyway

Whats pouring mate and why arent you in here talking about beer!?
Haha...well, s**t. More distractions...Just what I needed!!

Havent read through the thread so hope its ok to be a Kit and Extract brewer on here . Just don't have the time to go all grain, a bit too involved for me.

I've got a Euro Lager (which just got drained). My usual, which is a lager Style with some LDME/BE2 and a Cascad/ Pride of Ringwood hop mix.....and a Mixed Berry Cider. The Mrs is a caoliac soo......

I've got a Wheat bear on the go and about to put another of my standards down in the next day or so. Just had my youngest's 18 so got hammered a bit.

Been trying hard to pace myself today, so I don't end up a sloppy mess by half time. Not sure I'm succeeding.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haha...well, s**t. More distractions...Just what I needed!!

Havent read through the thread so hope its ok to be a Kit and Extract brewer on here . Just don't have the time to go all grain, a bit too involved for me.

I've got a Euro Lager (which just got drained). My usual, which is a lager Style with some LDME/BE2 and a Cascad/ Pride of Ringwood hop mix.....and a Mixed Berry Cider. The Mrs is a caoliac soo......

I've got a Wheat bear on the go and about to put another of my standards down in the next day or so. Just had my youngest's 18 so got hammered a bit.

Been trying hard to pace myself today, so I don't end up a sloppy mess by half time. Not sure I'm succeeding.

Extract welcome! I do BIAB myself. Just over 12 months down the rabbit hole for me. Already itching for a 3V setup and some automation but havent the room at the moment. Started looking at new houses to buy with more room for brewing. #priorities

No footy Sunday so Im thinking about brewing... lemon pepper saison? Just toying with flavours that should work well together. I also googled it and a brewery has actually done it before!

Step 1: My idea is not totally s**t :heavycheck:
F*** you blokes sound a bit serious. Probs a bit out of my depth here.

Extract welcome! I do BIAB myself. Just over 12 months down the rabbit hole for me. Already itching for a 3V setup and some automation but havent the room at the moment. Started looking at new houses to buy with more room for brewing. #priorities
I hear you man. It gets away from you, that's for sure. I ended up having to do an extension and renovating the backyard so I could work in a bar/outdoor kitchen so I could brew in peace (used to operate out of the laundry), set up my taps and have enough space for two fermenting fridges and all the gear!!!

Wife is a bit bemused, all she got out of it was a spa and a Cider on tap.

Nah I just brew beyond my capacity or try to come up with quirky things. My first ever beer was a porter done with vanilla beans and spiced rum soaked oak chips. I just do things the hard way or have no patience to learn slow and steady.

In essence the saison will be simple. Pils/wheat malt with some rye for spice. Some black pepper and lemon rind late in the boil, and sorachi ace hops for lemon/lime citrus hit. I dont even really like saisons that much but Ive never brewed one and all 3 taps are currently west coast hop beers so I want some variation.

Things are about to get pretty tragic 'round these parts. This may be one of the few threads I visit over the Summer. Godspeed gentlemen. May all your beers be intentionally infected or not.
THE thread to be on this summer

nah man, I'm an extract brewer too. Will be a while til I try all grain I reckon.

I only just started using ~750g specialty grains for colour/flavour in the stout I made last week.

SpaceClef you going to Carwyn Cellars bday tomorrow? What a joyous taplist! Some 2 for 1 pints also. Love that place. I want to marry it.
it's so good. I remember randomly stumbling upon it by accident on the way back from work one day.

Might go tomorrow, will see what I'm up to. 2 for 1 sounds good for the wallet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think I'll take a few of the threads off my notifications list over summer. Especially the Trade/Draft one. That could get messy.

Wheres Carwyn Cellars? Nth or Sth? Not that I'm planning on popping over. Just curious for next time I visit.

Yeah, I think I'll take a few of the threads off my notifications list over summer. Especially the Trade/Draft one. That could get messy.

Wheres Carwyn Cellars? Nth or Sth? Not that I'm planning on popping over. Just curious for next time I visit.

It's in Thornbury (north) on High St, near where it turns into Plenty Rd.

The 86 tram stops right outside, otherwise it's about a 20 min drive from the city.

Well, looks like its a good day for some brewing. Cold, wet and miserable. 20160910_112214.jpg 20160910_112202.jpg

A standard lager-ish for easy drinking and a gluten free for the Mrs. Cascade and citra hops for the lager and straight cascade for the GF. Bit boring, but have to have something to smash away while watching these other Muppets in the finals.

Well, looks like its a good day for some brewing. Cold, wet and miserable. View attachment 287089View attachment 287090

A standard lager-ish for easy drinking and a gluten free for the Mrs. Cascade and citra hops for the lager and straight cascade for the GF. Bit boring, but have to have something to smash away while watching these other Muppets in the finals.

Sounds good!! Can't go wrong with cascade and citra. What's the sorghum beer turn out like?

Do you have to add yeast nutrient to make up for the lack of malt ?

Sounds good!! Can't go wrong with cascade and citra. What's the sorghum beer turn out like?
Not bad mate. I did a half Brew of it and the Mrs loved it. Been on me to get another Brew down as she knows how long it takes to condition. Did a bit of research on it, lot of slurry, cold crashed it and I've only bottled it, not kegged. Had to use a whirfloc tablet and some finings to clear it up but seems to have come out alright. She's not too keen on too Hoppy beers so I've only used minimal hops, just to give it a bit of bitterness and aroma.
Do you have to add yeast nutrient to make up for the lack of malt ?
Yep, my research said best to use a yeast nutrient so that's what I did. Did it on a relatively low temp for the Coopers kit yeast I had lying around (around 20-21 degrees) and it was fine. Brewed out to about a 1.012 FG.

Not bad mate. I did a half Brew of it and the Mrs loved it. Been on me to get another Brew down as she knows how long it takes to condition. Did a bit of research on it, lot of slurry, cold crashed it and I've only bottled it, not kegged. Had to use a whirfloc tablet and some finings to clear it up but seems to have come out alright. She's not too keen on too Hoppy beers so I've only used minimal hops, just to give it a bit of bitterness and aroma.

Yep, my research said best to use a yeast nutrient so that's what I did. Did it on a relatively low temp for the Coopers kit yeast I had lying around (around 20-21 degrees) and it was fine. Brewed out to about a 1.012 FG.

Nice!! It's crazy how much info you can get from homebrew forums. I imagine it's a bit like Kim Hackdorn searching through Bigfooty for scoops

I'm gonna transfer this stout to a secondary fermenter to age for a few weeks while I'm in China/Japan.

It's still actively fermenting (airlock bubbles) 6 days after brew day :eek:

It's gonna be big

Lol. Epic analogy. Brew day tomorrow gents. Picked up all my stuff today. I guess you could say its the saison for brewing.......

:rainbow:
What yeast are you using?

What yeast are you using?

Belle saison. Beast of a dry yeast apparently. Dont be too concerned about leaving your beer on the yeast cake 4-6 weeks from brew day. You wont damage it at all. In fact itll clean up really well. Much longer and you'll start to inherit some off flavours.

The thing with transferring to secondary is you risk exposing the beer to o2 unless you can purge the secondary vessel with co2 first. Where your primary has already created a big layer of co2 protection from fermentation.

Back