• Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Added about 45g at 60 mins, spread the rest out between 15 mins and 'flameout'

I'll be bottling for a while - I prefer having longnecks that I can give out/take to mates place/label if I feel like it. I don't really know what the advantages of kegging are, other than not having to wait for carbonation and the whole pimp factor

Partial mash will be my next step. I'm mostly concerned with temperature control as I don't want to fork out on fancy plumbing and s**t
You put a glass beneath the tap and magically beer happens. It's the single biggest thing that will turn you homebrew crazy and fat like me.

You put a glass beneath the tap and magically beer happens. It's the single biggest thing that will turn you homebrew crazy and fat like me.
Lol

Guess it's the next step to becoming elite/AA

I always do diacetyl rest. My ferments usually end up about 22-23° before I step-crash them to 0° then siphon into keg and carbonate. The only yeast thats been cooperative so far is US05. I used Mangrove M44 West Coast ale yeast on the bipa and it also stalled. But its a really high floc yeast so I think most of it dropped out of suspension early and probably also as the alcohol neared 7%.

o2 aeration is one thing Ill look into. I use gravity to aerate but read recently that I should only be doing it when temp has cooled right off otherwise the o2 molecules cling to the wort and separate during fermentation, effectively oxygenating the beer mildly.

With the bipa we connected my mash paddle to my cordless drill and 'whipped' it up.

Hahaha yeah I used to use a paint mixer in my drill to aerate the wort. Problem with this is you are only putting in so many parts per million of oxygen as is in the atmosphere.
Injecting pure oxygen will give you 4-5 times as much O2 ppm in the wort.

I used the West Coast ale yeast when it first came out a few years back and never used it again. It gave me a profile of a poor mans US05 which is the best dry yeast out, always finishes clear and doesn't strip the hops from the beer.

Recooperated Coopers yeast is a favorite of mine and it's free. :cool:

Lol

Guess it's the next step to becoming elite/AA
I 110% put my elite :rolleyes: beer making status on the fact that getting a keg system will be the single biggest and best thing you ever do in your beer making career.

I also guarantee you will get fat and post more drunk.:rainbow:

I 110% put my elite :rolleyes: beer making status on the fact that getting a keg system will be the single biggest and best thing you ever do in your beer making career.

I also guarantee you will get fat and post more drunk.:rainbow:
Yeah I'll do it when I get my own house

PS - 600g of hops is bloody ludicrous

Anyone know of anyone who's grown hops before?
I've drank beer that has 1.5kg in a 25L batch.
Also beer that was made from beer and a beer which was a wort added to a hop sludge from a hopback's leftovers. Terrible. Interesting but terrible.

I've grown Pride of Ringwood before, just the one plant. I have heaps of mates that grow them. They're a weed and easy to look after.
One mature hop plant will give you about 2-5kg of wet hops which is equivalent of about 600-800g of dry hops from memory.

+2

Homemade temp control. Ebay STC-1000.

Heaps of wiring diagrams on the interwebz too.

Yeah I really wish I knew how to solder etc. might just watch a bunch of tutes. Don't mind spending a bit extra for it to be readymade if the box is only ~$70

Thanks for all the advice peeps

I've drank beer that has 1.5kg in a 25L batch.
Also beer that was made from beer and a beer which was a wort added to a hop sludge from a hopback's leftovers. Terrible. Interesting but terrible.

I've grown Pride of Ringwood before, just the one plant. I have heaps of mates that grow them. They're a weed and easy to look after.
One mature hop plant will give you about 2-5kg of wet hops which is equivalent of about 600-800g of dry hops from memory.
That is nuts.

I love growing vegies so maybe I'll try but a few hop rhizomes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Headed out tonight and tried Pirate Life for the first time and bloody hell, I can see why it's being talked up as beer of the year.

Which PL did you have mate? I had their pale last night, which I rate as the best of the bunch. The throwback session IPA is also pretty impressive.

A lot of hype surrounds their IIPA but theres plenty others on the market as good/better. The balance of that pale ale is awesome and I havent found another that stacks up to it yet
Plus cans are wicked.

Which PL did you have mate? I had their pale last night, which I rate as the best of the bunch. The throwback session IPA is also pretty impressive.

A lot of hype surrounds their IIPA but theres plenty others on the market as good/better. The balance of that pale ale is awesome and I havent found another that stacks up to it yet
Plus cans are wicked.
Yeah had the pale as well mate, absolute top notch. I did see the IIPA there but didn't end up trying it.

Beer of choice after we lay down for a pineapple on the road?

My 19L keg of 7% black IPA started copping a spanking (similar to the one WCE got) at quarter time.

600g of hops are shining through quite nicely!

That's fair enough. Anyway, for my Untappd 1,000th check in I dropped this bad boy:

FwOoKRI.jpg

And yes, it is outstanding!

Refermented with cherries hey.. Spontaneous fermentation of natural yeast or pitched with some lacto? Not familiar with that beer but I am partial to a cherry sour!

Back