Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah with pump. I liked it. Easy to use and clean. But I am not coming in with much experience with other setups so not got much to compare it to.
Don't they say to take 20 mins off times if you no chill. So 30 minute addition would become 10 minute. Not sure how your 15 min to flameout additions would work though? Let it chill a bit then add them?
Yeah I've been thinking of adding them about 2 min off the boil after a bit of a whirlpool and then whacking the filled cube in sink full of cold water to try and get the temp down below the temp that hop oils get bitter

So yeast had slowed down after almost a week. Took a reading and had hit estimated FG of 1.012. Tasted damn good.
Dry hopped, just chucked em in. Will wait about 4 days then cold crash then gelatine then keg :)
Need to still sort out building keg fridge but bought all the parts yesterday.
So far so good!

Keg fridge is pretty much ready. Just need to go for yet another trip to Bunnings. First it was the connectors for the hose for the chiller. Then didn't have a hole saw drill attachment for the hole for the shank. Now I don't have the pincer to clamp down the circle clamps over the hosing. Tried using pliers but they don't do the job.
Also need to rig some kind of chain or something to attach the co2 bottle to the fridge so it has no chance of falling.
Then I need to clean / sanitize the keg and lines but was waiting until i'm ready to fill the keg before doing that. Then balance lines. Didn't get a flow control tap. Have keyed in the data on a line length calculator and says I need about 6M of hose. Seems a little excessive but will try that length and can always shorten it a little before clamping it for good.

Loved the rye in the last beer, this time I'm going with something a little milder, a little cloudier.

My first brew in a while so tomorrow could be a bit of revision before I get started.

IPA (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.3
Bitterness (IBU): 51.5 (Tinseth)

76.09% American - Pale 2-Row
13.04% American - Wheat
10.87% German - Rye

1.9 g/L Cascade (7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L East Kent Goldings (5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L Fuggles (4.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L East Kent Goldings (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L Fuggles (4.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 23°C with Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend

Loved the rye in the last beer, this time I'm going with something a little milder, a little cloudier.

My first brew in a while so tomorrow could be a bit of revision before I get started.

IPA (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.3
Bitterness (IBU): 51.5 (Tinseth)

76.09% American - Pale 2-Row
13.04% American - Wheat
10.87% German - Rye

1.9 g/L Cascade (7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L East Kent Goldings (5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L Fuggles (4.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L East Kent Goldings (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L Fuggles (4.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 23°C with Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend
Maybe start that at 18° and then move up to 23° after a couple of days. Haven't used S04 before though so not sure how it goes warm like that

Going to double dry hop my centennial/mandarina pale tomorrow.

Dry hopped about 3 days into fermentation and then going to dry hop a second time about 8 days in, before cold crashing for a couple more days.

Probably a waste of 120g of hops but I want to see how it goes.

Keg fridge is pretty much ready. Just need to go for yet another trip to Bunnings. First it was the connectors for the hose for the chiller. Then didn't have a hole saw drill attachment for the hole for the shank. Now I don't have the pincer to clamp down the circle clamps over the hosing. Tried using pliers but they don't do the job.
Also need to rig some kind of chain or something to attach the co2 bottle to the fridge so it has no chance of falling.
Then I need to clean / sanitize the keg and lines but was waiting until i'm ready to fill the keg before doing that. Then balance lines. Didn't get a flow control tap. Have keyed in the data on a line length calculator and says I need about 6M of hose. Seems a little excessive but will try that length and can always shorten it a little before clamping it for good.
6m sounds right to me. Serve at 80-100kpa.

Also don't sanitise the lines just replace them. I replace mine every year or two as you can't get those stains off no matter what.

6m sounds right to me. Serve at 80-100kpa.

Also don't sanitise the lines just replace them. I replace mine every year or two as you can't get those stains off no matter what.
Yeah they are brand new. I guess the beer coming out of them will get drunk straight away so not really any chance of infecting it but might as well anyway. I got all the kegs 2nd hand off Gumtree so want to clean those pretty well so no harm running the cleaning / sanitizing liquid from the kegs through the lines also.

Scored pretty well for the setup off gumtree. Free fridge, borrowed work truck with tail lift to move it. 1 x corny keg for $20, then yesterday another 3 kegs for $45 each. Just tap, shank, lines, co2 and reg were bought from shop.

Yeah they are brand new. I guess the beer coming out of them will get drunk straight away so not really any chance of infecting it but might as well anyway. I got all the kegs 2nd hand off Gumtree so want to clean those pretty well so no harm running the cleaning / sanitizing liquid from the kegs through the lines also.

Scored pretty well for the setup off gumtree. Free fridge, borrowed work truck with tail lift to move it. 1 x corny keg for $20, then yesterday another 3 kegs for $45 each. Just tap, shank, lines, co2 and reg were bought from shop.

I clean my kegs and lines each brew. Running about a litre of warm sodium perc through followed by cool starsan. Pour the first beer/cleaning solution down the sink then you're good to go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wort temp @ 20deg when you checked it?
closer to 18

Not once from my all grain brews have I missed the planned gravity by more than a few points, I have no idea where this went wrong.

Edit: I just turned on my thermometer and it's reading 47c at room temps...safe to say I might have mashed low, there is some *ery afoot.

closer to 18

Not once from my all grain brews have I missed the planned gravity by more than a few points, I have no idea where this went wrong.

Edit: I just turned on my thermometer and it's reading 47c at room temps...safe to say I might have mashed low, there is some ******y afoot.

Yeah that'll do it. See how it rides. Don't over invest in the hop schedule though

Kegged!
Got it sitting at 40psi atm. Too impatient... gotta try this beer tomorrow.
Smelt so good. Even my wife who doesn't like beer thought it smelt great.
Nailed my volume into keg. I had borrowed some bottling gear and had bottles all cleaned and ready to go just incase. Wasn't needed.
Now to start planning the new brew. Maybe get a little more adventurous and try some kind of IPA.

Kegged!
Got it sitting at 40psi atm. Too impatient... gotta try this beer tomorrow.
Smelt so good. Even my wife who doesn't like beer thought it smelt great.
Nailed my volume into keg. I had borrowed some bottling gear and had bottles all cleaned and ready to go just incase. Wasn't needed.
Now to start planning the new brew. Maybe get a little more adventurous and try some kind of IPA.

Congrats mate! Enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Bottled my most heavily dry hopped beer ever last night. Smelled amazing.

Getting very over the bottling process though...might be time to invest in some keggage like W.C. Fry soon.

You can keg on the cheap. I started off with one keg, co2 bottle and reg, pluto gun. Just had it all in my fermenting fridge. It just meant I couldn't drink beer and ferment at the same time.

Congrats mate! Enjoy the fruits of your labour.

You can keg on the cheap. I started off with one keg, co2 bottle and reg, pluto gun. Just had it all in my fermenting fridge. It just meant I couldn't drink beer and ferment at the same time.
Yeah I might have to wait til I get a bigger place. Three separate fridges just wouldn't work. Would be cool to have a fridge with two zones - cold for keg and warmer for the FV.

Yeah I might have to wait til I get a bigger place. Three separate fridges just wouldn't work. Would be cool to have a fridge with two zones - cold for keg and warmer for the FV.

You could probably make something by ducting off all the chill vents to one side but I don't know how effective it would be

Robo group on FB!

Looks clear as **** man, I'd be stoked with that kind of clarity
Haha yeah I spammed my personal FB and both those groups.
Really happy with how it turned out. Beer on tap at home could get dangerous though. Wife reckons I will be emptying the keg within a week at this rate :p

Back