Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a concern that krausen would affect its reading though.

my latest beer, a coconut cacao porter, is not turning out the way I wanted it to. It has this real acrid astringent taste and it is miles off the attenuation I expected. Pitched two sachets of US05 too.

going to add some lactose, crystal malt and vanilla bean this weekend though and then carb her up. It’s meant to be for my homebrew club’s case swap so I was hoping it would be a lot better

I've found that with some of my dark beers too. They do seem to be a beer that should be aged before consuming. I've had commercial examples which have it as well. I reckon it's something to do with the roasty malt profile but I'd be guessing.

We pulled out one of my old whisky barrel aged stouts from years ago and it beats almost anything on the market now after being cellared.

I've found that with some of my dark beers too. They do seem to be a beer that should be aged before consuming. I've had commercial examples which have it as well. I reckon it's something to do with the roasty malt profile but I'd be guessing.

We pulled out one of my old whisky barrel aged stouts from years ago and it beats almost anything on the market now after being cellared.
Yeah it definitely needs some age, this one, but ive been tossing up between bottle carbing before the beer
swap date, or carbing in the keg and then filling the bottles using a carb cap. And I haven’t tested how well keg-carbed bottles will store.

so I think I’ll bottle carb as standard and hope that it’s reached terminal gravity by then. 1.019 doesn’t fill me with much confidence though.

on the plus side they’re PET bottles so worst case scenario is ill have to ask everyone to burp it a bit.

I also think I just didn’t add enough crystal malt to balance the roast. I based it on another porter which was quite sweet but I took out some crystal and added more roast barley - totally underestimated the effect that would have

my biggest fear though other than the bottles overcarbing is that adding the cacao and coconut during fermentation created some horrible off flavours that won’t go away.

Hopefully the lactose I add tomorrow will balance it out a bit!

Also it’s only 11am but the sound of one of your barrel aged stouts is making me thirsty

Also it’s only 11am but the sound of one of your barrel aged stouts is making me thirsty

I ran out long ago, but the bloke I brewed with has a few left. He was kind enough to bring one around and yeah we are definitely brewing it again! I need to clean my barrels though. I've ignored it for so long I'm wondering now if they'll be complete rat s**t inside.

I ran out long ago, but the bloke I brewed with has a few left. He was kind enough to bring one around and yeah we are definitely brewing it again! I need to clean my barrels though. I've ignored it for so long I'm wondering now if they'll be complete rat s**t inside.
Might be hard to ensure they’re not full of microbes now - sour BA stout?

Might be hard to ensure they’re not full of microbes now - sour BA stout?

Yeah that's my fear. When not in use I'm supposed to put a holding solution in it. I can put something in there to kill all the s**t but it still might be best to focus on sours in there now. Might be time for a Flanders red

Yeah that's my fear. When not in use I'm supposed to put a holding solution in it. I can put something in there to kill all the s**t but it still might be best to focus on sours in there now. Might be time for a Flanders red
Yum!

You boys used or seen strata available yet?

I've had the PL Strata IPA now this. Lovely hop. Much less of the mosaicy dankness although it's still there, but is insanely juicy on the nose. Super ripe pineapple!

View attachment 763018
I’ve heard about it but haven’t used it or seen it readily available at stores. There’s heaps of newer hops I haven’t used yet which I’m curious about - strata, sabro, enigma...

Sounds delicious. Perfect for a summer pale ale.

I make an effort to try PL beers when I see them - * they've released a lot - saw a new one recently and left it, I assume it's the strata one - Frontside IPA or ale maybe?

Been having a fair bit of Goat Very Enjoyable Ale and Balter Captain Sensible lately. Pretty tasty for lower ABV beers.

Sounds delicious. Perfect for a summer pale ale.

I make an effort to try PL beers when I see them - fu** they've released a lot - saw a new one recently and left it, I assume it's the strata one - Frontside IPA or ale maybe?

Been having a fair bit of Goat Very Enjoyable Ale and Balter Captain Sensible lately. Pretty tasty for lower ABV beers.
Goat (the orange and blue cans) is so bloody good. I got it fresh at the brewery just before they released it in cans - it was amazing. Pretty sure it’s a lager not an ale, but it might be a hybrid/Kolsch style.

I love that style beer - rounded, balanced but juicy hops and malt, smashable and dry

Goat (the orange and blue cans) is so bloody good. I got it fresh at the brewery just before they released it in cans - it was amazing. Pretty sure it’s a lager not an ale, but it might be a hybrid/Kolsch style.

I love that style beer - rounded, balanced but juicy hops and malt, smashable and dry

You're correct, it is a lager. Indeed has many positive qualities, feels much fuller bodied than what I expect from an Aussie lager!

After doing some research the Frontside Ale by PL isn't the Strata one DanWCE was referring to, which means that they have even more beers than I first thought!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the heads up on the MG tins dudes. I remember you talking about it Spacey but I haven't tried it yet. I've been grabbing a bit of Feral Draught lately because sometimes it's nice to not feel guilty about a beers cost or be able to have a can and not need to analyse it. I'll give MG a go.

Thanks for the heads up on the MG tins dudes. I remember you talking about it Spacey but I haven't tried it yet. I've been grabbing a bit of Feral Draught lately because sometimes it's nice to not feel guilty about a beers cost or be able to have a can and not need to analyse it. I'll give MG a go.

Woollies had them on their docket specials about a fortnight ago (all MG beers), got a couple of the Very Enjoyable 6 packs for $14 each which is great, but they're only $22 normally anyway which is quite decent.

So how'd you go?
Started late so I’m still going

had two tasks - steep some crystal malt to add to my over-bitter stout along with some lactose and a vanilla bean. Then had to transfer that from my fermenter to a keg

Then I started on this rye IPA. Halfway through the boil now. Ended up with too much wort so I’m doing a 90 min boil to reduce her a bit

View attachment IMG_3427.mp4

So spent the arvo at downing a few Captain Sensibles, then headed to Liquor Barons in Dianella, have a relatively small but great selection of crafts. Picked up a Jacobinus Hefeweizen which IMO is the best I've had - did a big search of wheat beers a few years back and this one was top of the list. Also picked up the Sailor's Grave NEIPA, they make my favourite IPA - think it's called Drowned Man - this is okay, they've added nectarine and rhubarb and is a bit tart for me.

So spent the arvo at downing a few Captain Sensibles, then headed to Liquor Barons in Dianella, have a relatively small but great selection of crafts. Picked up a Jacobinus Hefeweizen which IMO is the best I've had - did a big search of wheat beers a few years back and this one was top of the list. Also picked up the Sailor's Grave NEIPA, they make my favourite IPA - think it's called Drowned Man - this is okay, they've added nectarine and rhubarb and is a bit tart for me.
Mm some of the fruited + hoppy beers these days are real hit and miss. I’ve been guilty of it myself. So hard to just keep things simple sometimes

So I dropped into my local homebrew shop to check out a grainfather/braumeister and saw a brewzilla anyone used or have one? It's $600.... heaps cheaper than the grainfather and ******* heaps cheaper than a braumeister.
I haven't brewed for a few years and want to cut down on gear because of space issues.

So I dropped into my local homebrew shop to check out a grainfather/braumeister and saw a brewzilla anyone used or have one? It's $600.... heaps cheaper than the grainfather and ******* heaps cheaper than a braumeister.
I haven't brewed for a few years and want to cut down on gear because of space issues.
I’ve got the version before - the Robobrew. I have the 35 litre though they now make 60 litres or something too.

the brewzillas are mostly just rebadged as a new company split taking IP with them I think.

basically they’re urns with some electronics and a nifty built in recirc pump and malt pipe with feet and a rack for draining/sparging.

they’re a bit flimsy and the dimensions/deadspace under the malt pipe means the 35 litre version is mostly only good for ~6.5 kg max batches. But for the price I really like it. I doubt I would have got into all grain brewing without buying it.
Never used a grainfather or brau so can’t compare!

But id recommend grabbing one

Bottled 15 bottles of my coco-cacao-cola porter today and remembered how much of a pain bottling is.

mind you it was bottling out of a keg which is a bit harder than coming direct out of a spigot from the FV

Back