Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Put down a batch of juicy pale using a fresh wort kit which was only $40.

Got some reduced to clear liquid yeast because it was past its best before date (WLP091) which seemed to spring to life OK after a couple of starters.

now just have to dry hop it a couple of times and bobs your uncle
After 2.5 days it’s down to 1.020 and tasting pretty damn amazing. Good signs early for this random yeast blend. Haven’t heard much about it online because it seems fairly new

G'day all, hope the brewing is going well. I currently have a Cerveza in the fermenter, I used a lager yeast and sitting at around 13 degrees. When i hopped after day 4 it had that sulfur smell, like what I copped when I did some homemade wine out of fruit juice. I've googled and apparently this is common with lager yeast, so do I just let it keep going?

Also got a hard lemon/limeade happening, have some more limes so if anyone has another recipe for the limes let me know.

I've done this recipe, should be bottling on the weekend (I left out the ginger). Taste test was very positive so far (it's really just water, sugar, lemon and lime juice so should be good)

G'day all, hope the brewing is going well. I currently have a Cerveza in the fermenter, I used a lager yeast and sitting at around 13 degrees. When i hopped after day 4 it had that sulfur smell, like what I copped when I did some homemade wine out of fruit juice. I've googled and apparently this is common with lager yeast, so do I just let it keep going?

Also got a hard lemon/limeade happening, have some more limes so if anyone has another recipe for the limes let me know.

I've done this recipe, should be bottling on the weekend (I left out the ginger). Taste test was very positive so far (it's really just water, sugar, lemon and lime juice so should be good)

Yep, the sulphur smell means you're on the right track, it will subside and then disappear with time. Make sure you include a diacetyl rest close to then end of the fermentation - most literature recommends about 2 to 5 points off final gravity, but Doashuey has said before it's still effective after it has finished fermenting - so up to 18 degrees for a few days before back down to 13 for the yeast to finish cleaning it up a bit before cold conditioning for at least a week, I usually got for at least 2 to 3 in the fermenter before packaging.

I hate how almost every beer publication makes lagers sound like they're some mysterious next level s**t. It's basically the same as an ale just a bit colder and longer. They seem to go on about the possibility of if you're not hitting all your targets in the mash and boil or if your geat isn't clean enough then you'll get off flavours but I've never had an issue.

Basically making a seltzer which is all the rage now. Just remember to buy some yeast nutrient because sugar and lemon doesn’t have the minerals yeast needs to reproduce properly.

And yeah very common for lagers to smell like sulphur for a week or three. It’ll clear up so don’t stress.

Basically making a seltzer which is all the rage now. Just remember to buy some yeast nutrient because sugar and lemon doesn’t have the minerals yeast needs to reproduce properly.

And yeah very common for lagers to smell like sulphur for a week or three. It’ll clear up so don’t stress.

Yeah my brew shop recommended a seltzer yeast which had a yeast nutrient included so all good hopefully, cheers!

Been a bit quiet lately, here's a pic of my IPA:

20220521_172850.jpg

Nothing terribly exciting, I like more head (hur hur) on my beers - this pic was from the weekend, the one I pulled on Monday was a bit creamier and bigger. It's 7.6% which is just far too much, legit blacking out after 4 pints. Not entirely happy with this recipe, will need some refining.

Been a bit quiet lately, here's a pic of my IPA:

View attachment 1409060

Nothing terribly exciting, I like more head (hur hur) on my beers - this pic was from the weekend, the one I pulled on Monday was a bit creamier and bigger. It's 7.6% which is just far too much, legit blacking out after 4 pints. Not entirely happy with this recipe, will need some refining.
I’ve still got the fresh wort kit in the fermenter with that expired yeast I used (below)
After 2.5 days it’s down to 1.020 and tasting pretty damn amazing. Good signs early for this random yeast blend. Haven’t heard much about it online because it seems fairly new

Unfortunately I made the stupid mistake of panicking about the yeast not being viable enough and added a tiny sprinkle of some dried yeast - Verdant IPA - which seems to be very attenuative. So it’s been slowly chugging down to like 1.007 even though I wanted it to sit around 1.016. It still tastes good but I wish I left the yeast blend as it was, because that was meant to have lower attenuation.

So I went and bought another two vials of the expired WLP091 and am propagating them both again. This time I’ll keep propping it up until I have enough yeast to use on its own for a future juicy pale

Btw dry hopping with cryo citra, cryo “pop” (I think that’s a blend) and eclipse.

I’ve still got the fresh wort kit in the fermenter with that expired yeast I used (below)

Unfortunately I made the stupid mistake of panicking about the yeast not being viable enough and added a tiny sprinkle of some dried yeast - Verdant IPA - which seems to be very attenuative. So it’s been slowly chugging down to like 1.007 even though I wanted it to sit around 1.016. It still tastes good but I wish I left the yeast blend as it was, because that was meant to have lower attenuation.

So I went and bought another two vials of the expired WLP091 and am propagating them both again. This time I’ll keep propping it up until I have enough yeast to use on its own for a future juicy pale

Btw dry hopping with cryo citra, cryo “pop” (I think that’s a blend) and eclipse.
Verdant isnt a high attenuator. It wont be causing your beer to get that low. Have you tasted it recently? Sounds like possible infection if its still dropping.

Verdant isnt a high attenuator. It wont be causing your beer to get that low. Have you tasted it recently? Sounds like possible infection if its still dropping.
There’s a few people online claiming 80+% attenuation with verdant. The manufacturers info says its “medium-high” attenuation. I’ve used it a few times before and it’s always finished fairly low.

I used a simple ‘summer ale’ type fresh wort kit which i suspect Grain and Grape mashed low so that it’s easy drinking. I’m banking on the wort being super fermentable + the fact I added a day 1 dry hop charge which adds enzymes that break-down any remaining complex carbs even further.

It tastes completely clean, although it had an initial day 1 dry hop so that could be masking things. Certainly not phenolic or acidic.

However contamination from some old saison yeast impregnated in my plastic fermenter or something like that isn’t out of the question, and has def crossed my mind. I was thinking about replacing the fermenter just so I’m not wondering about this down the track. I do so many farmhouse styles it wouldn’t be all that surprising if I’ve got some cross contam

There’s a few people online claiming 80+% attenuation with verdant. The manufacturers info says its “medium-high” attenuation. I’ve used it a few times before and it’s always finished fairly low.

I used a simple ‘summer ale’ type fresh wort kit which i suspect Grain and Grape mashed low so that it’s easy drinking. I’m banking on the wort being super fermentable + the fact I added a day 1 dry hop charge which adds enzymes that break-down any remaining complex carbs even further.

It tastes completely clean, although it had an initial day 1 dry hop so that could be masking things. Certainly not phenolic or acidic.

However contamination from some old saison yeast impregnated in my plastic fermenter or something like that isn’t out of the question, and has def crossed my mind. I was thinking about replacing the fermenter just so I’m not wondering about this down the track. I do so many farmhouse styles it wouldn’t be all that surprising if I’ve got some cross contam

Have you got any farmhouse recipes you can recommend?

Have you got any farmhouse recipes you can recommend?
Tbh not really, I kind of just make random concoctions of propagated bottle dregs, various combos of barley/wheat/rye, generally hopped with combinations of motueka/saaz/nelson sauvin

I find as long as you don’t use boring French saison yeast strains like belle saison, you can pretty much put anything in your beer and let the yeast/bugs do the work.

I wish i kept track of my past recipes - I’m limited to just 10 in my Brewfather app so I always delete the old ones. Pretty s**t brewer

I normally do something like
50% pilsner
25% wheat
15% rye/oats
10% chit malt

Or add some Special B or caramunich and make it a bit darker and chewier.

I like Wyeast 3726 or propagated Dupont bottle dregs. Also made some great ones with propagated Wildflower Table Beer dregs

I normally do something like
50% pilsner
25% wheat
15% rye/oats
10% chit malt

Or add some Special B or caramunich and make it a bit darker and chewier.

I like Wyeast 3726 or propagated Dupont bottle dregs. Also made some great ones with propagated Wildflower Table Beer dregs

Yeah was thinking something similar to that grain bill and the 3726. I've done 3 Saisons now for the past 3 springs and wanted to try something a little different. Will have a think about maybe a fruit addition to match up with the slippy Nelson for a twist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah was thinking something similar to that grain bill and the 3726. I've done 3 Saisons now for the past 3 springs and wanted to try something a little different. Will have a think about maybe a fruit addition to match up with the slippy Nelson for a twist.
Do it. Get 2kg of stone fruit and dump it in when it’s near finishing.

Yeah I’d pitch at 18 and then ramp it up to like 23 over a few days

I let my last Saison get pretty warm - 25ish IIRC, I also mixed farmhouse & saison yeast, DDH with saaz and added mandarins. Turned out really good, only downside was that the saison yeast dominated the farmhouse in terms of flavour, so couldn't really notice it. Will go solo on the farmhouse next time.

I let my last Saison get pretty warm - 25ish IIRC, I also mixed farmhouse & saison yeast, DDH with saaz and added mandarins. Turned out really good, only downside was that the saison yeast dominated the farmhouse in terms of flavour, so couldn't really notice it. Will go solo on the farmhouse next time.
Once you’ve fermented it you could get a couple of small 10L plastic jerry cans from Bunnings, split the full batch into two: add fruit to one, and add a mixed ferm blend to the other (eg Strain: 3763 for Roeselare Ale Blend | Yeast & Cultures by Wyeast Labs)

Age the fruit one for a month and age the other one for a year.

I do this heaps. I get those blue 10L water jerry cans from bunno

Did you get some feedback on this yet?
Not sure if this works. Only two of the three judging forms. I’m somewhat happy with it but it’s kinda surprising that they thought it needed more malt flavour given it’s relatively sweet. I don’t seem to be able to get big malt flavour though so it’s fair enough. I think the other judge gave it 36

Attachments

• Porter judging.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Not sure if this works. Only two of the three judging forms. I’m somewhat happy with it but it’s kinda surprising that they thought it needed more malt flavour given it’s relatively sweet. I don’t seem to be able to get big malt flavour though so it’s fair enough. I think the other judge gave it 36

Pretty dang good really! Impressive mate.

Back