Brushes with fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Danni Minogue's kid is in the same year level at the same school as my son. When they had the school disco, she was the door bitch, and I had to talk my way in - brought back some memories of my younger days :) One thing you don't realise seeing her on TV is how short she is - would struggle to be 5 ft tall.

Still waiting to see the class allocations for next year - every chance her son will be in the same class as my son one of these years.

Danni Minogue's kid is in the same year level at the same school as my son. When they had the school disco, she was the door bitch, and I had to talk my way in - brought back some memories of my younger days :) One thing you don't realise seeing her on TV is how short she is - would struggle to be 5 ft tall.

Still waiting to see the class allocations for next year - every chance her son will be in the same class as my son one of these years.

did ya?

One of my friends had kids at whatever school Hugh Jackman's kids went to in Sydney, and she said the lengths some parents went to to ingratiate themselves with the whole Jackman circle were absolutely cringe worthy.

One of my friends had kids at whatever school Hugh Jackman's kids went to in Sydney, and she said the lengths some parents went to to ingratiate themselves with the whole Jackman circle were absolutely cringe worthy.

you feel for in this case the jackman clan, cause if they politely tell the stalkers to fuwk off they'd look very bad

I know a couple of people who are recognisable figures in Australia. Aside from the sideways looks they get out in public, being friends with them is no different to anyone else. It is not like being identifiable to strangers turns someone into a foreign species.

I kind of feel like you'd need to be at global megastar levels of fame for it to substantially impact your friends' lives - being hounded by paparazzi etc. Australia's far too sleepy and inconsequential for that.

I thought he lived in America. I've learned something today.

Any stories in particular

My only experience similar to that was when me and a mate drank rum and cokes with Michael Kasprowicz back in about 2001 at the Hip-E Club in Perth when he was there with the Queensland team.

He liked us because we were rugby union players and knew about his brother Simon who was playing rugby for NSW at the time and he told us how he missed playing rugby because he had to choose playing cricket over it, apparently he was a pretty good junior player.

He was a top bloke, never missed a shout and introduced us to the rest of the Queensland team who thought we were old rugby mates of his.

I reckon even GG.exe would've liked Kaspa if he encountered him.
Kasper is a ******* legend. Used to see him out a lot in Brisbane in the 90s. Loved his piss and regularly saw him go to have a drink with a durrie already in his mouth. That never ends well.

When my kids were young they were in Little Aths. Lived in an area with lots of prominent pollies, judges, plus performers, etc.

One Saturday this tall, blonde well known male actor turned up with his child. Cap pulled down low, collar up, sunnies on. Dropped kid with school friends and basically hid over other side of track. I was chatting with a very senior government minister, as with any other parent, and we watched this unfold.

After a couple of weeks, the actor learned it was the kids we worrried about, and parents were parents. He ended up running the sausage sizzle, marshalling etc.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be good mates with a current WC player. Most of them are dickheads anyway and under 25 but I like the disconnect from just being a fan. Talking with mates we can pump up Kennedy, hang s**t on Masten, make completely unsubstantiated claims about anything and no one gives a s**t. It's not like any of us would even register a stat if we somehow fell into the team. It would be a different dynamic if we actually knew someone involved, particularly if they were around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kasper is a ******* legend. Used to see him out a lot in Brisbane in the 90s. Loved his piss and regularly saw him go to have a drink with a durrie already in his mouth. That never ends well.

I don't recall him smoking when we were with him but he loved his rum and cokes, he had no trouble keeping pace with us.

My best mate's nan dated him back in the day

Was she underage back then?

I can't imagine what it would be like to be good mates with a current WC player. Most of them are dickheads anyway and under 25 but I like the disconnect from just being a fan. Talking with mates we can pump up Kennedy, hang s**t on Masten, make completely unsubstantiated claims about anything and no one gives a s**t. It's not like any of us would even register a stat if we somehow fell into the team. It would be a different dynamic if we actually knew someone involved, particularly if they were around.

I've seen Josh Kennedy around Floreat/Wembley a few times, I think he lives in Floreat across the road from the Matthews Netball Centre.

If you weren't a keen AFL fan you probably wouldn't recognise him as he dresses like a scruffy hipster with a truckers cap pulled down to hide his face.

I was famous once but didnt have any un famous people befriend me

Famous for what?

I wouldn't mind being famous for all the perks you get, like getting free VIP entry to places, free drinks, the best table at fancy restaurants etc but I'm not sure I could handle all the attention that went with it from fans and the paparazzi.

It's cringe worthy enough when I spot a famous person at a bar or something, and see them throughout an evening. If it's an AFL footballer they never get left alone, and then you've got the blokes with smart mouths wanting to say things to them.

I guess the women they pull would make you forget about the negatives.

Watson is good mates with my dad, awesome bloke.

I reckon being an ex-player would be alright.

As a current player you'd be bothered too often and people would be putting photos of you on social media if you decided to have a beer with lunch or got in a minor car accident etc.

Once you retire no one gives a *. The spotlight goes away (unless you are Ben Cousins) but you are still famous enough that people will want to buy you a beer etc.

I reckon being an ex-player would be alright.

As a current player you'd be bothered too often and people would be putting photos of you on social media if you decided to have a beer with lunch or got in a minor car accident etc.

Once you retire no one gives a ****. The spotlight goes away (unless you are Ben Cousins) but you are still famous enough that people will want to buy you a beer etc.
Depends what age the ex-player is really. Seen plenty of gun ex-players at junior sport, out on the street etc through the years and they generally get left alone, but they're all fathers so they just blend in mostly.

Current players it is shocking. Earlier this year I somehow ended up spending an hour or two hanging with a big group that included some Dogs players. They blended in because of the group and where it was at this venue, but still got the odd bloke annoying the s**t out of them.

Happened to see some North blokes that night who were on their own and they were getting hounded everywhere they went.

One of the common complaints of being a famous person relates to money. How people come out of the woodwork all clamoring to be/become best friends, etc. One of the common things in the USA, due to so many black athletes coming from dire poverty, is that upon fame as an athlete, even their own families, or ESPECIALLY their own families, ruin their lives over money, siphoning them of it.
Yeah that would completely irritate me. It would be tough to say no if you were loaded like a US sportsmen.

Problem is word would get around and suddenly your cousin you see once a decade wants money too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back